I can't get rid of the blob!

Options
My number one problem area that I hate so greatly is my stomach. I was looking at some before and after pictures that I have on my phone and I am looking at my stomach. From the side I can see it is getting a little better, but from the front it looks like nothing has changed that it is still this giant blob!

I do A LOT of working out with my hips, my abs, and what not. But NOTHING seems to be helping and it is making me a little frustrated! Any ideas on what I could do? What should I work on more to get that stomach flatter. I want to go from flab to flat.

I know it won’t come over night, but I want to see results… Anything for the hips/abs/stomach/butt…ANYTHING please! :frown:

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    With a starting weight of 200lbs and a goal weight of 132lbs, yeah, it's not going to be obvious in the 1st 9lbs lost. The fact that you CAN see a diff is good. Remember, you are losing it from all over, not just there. You cannot spot reduce. Just keep up the hard work. It will come.

I've topped out at 190lbs and currently at 176.5. Only with the last 4-5lbs have I've noticed any definition and a flatter stomach from the front.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    As long as you're in a routine where you are steadily losing fat and preserving as much muscle as possible, the belly fat will eventually budge. For most people, it's the last to budge.

For best results, incorporate heavy strength training and keep your deficit to the smallest amount possible that still yields results.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    You simply have more fat to lose. Patience.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    True, my tummy was the last too go, still have a bit left that is stubborn, but it does go eventually. Don't give up.
  • Ephena
    Ephena Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    With a starting weight of 200lbs and a goal weight of 132lbs, yeah, it's not going to be obvious in the 1st 9lbs lost. The fact that you CAN see a diff is good. Remember, you are losing it from all over, not just there. You cannot spot reduce. Just keep up the hard work.

^^^This^^^ I started at 214 and have a goal of 134. I have 16 lbs to go and my stomach is still my problem area. It has gone way down but it isn't gone. Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred has really helped to shrink it and tone my whole body.
  • heatherdills
    heatherdills Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    According to an article I rad in a WebMD magazine today, the only way to get of subcutaneous fat (fat under the skin) was cardio, cardio, and more cardio. They divided participant into 3 groups: cardio only, strength training only, and both. The group cardio only lost the most of this type of fat which is the kind you want to lose. Hope that helps!!
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    With a starting weight of 200lbs and a goal weight of 132lbs, yeah, it's not going to be obvious in the 1st 9lbs lost. The fact that you CAN see a diff is good. Remember, you are losing it from all over, not just there. You cannot spot reduce. Just keep up the hard work.

^^^This^^^ I started at 214 and have a goal of 134. I have 16 lbs to go and my stomach is still my problem area. It has gone way down but it isn't gone. Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred has really helped to shrink it and tone my whole body.

I can't totally eliminate the tummy (genetics) w/o going ultra low on the bodyfat. But I do lots of pull ups, rows etc.. to get that V thing going. Optical illusion. haha
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but you have only lost 9 pounds. Most people can't see a substantial change until at least 20 pounds. Add to that the fact that the fat will not usually come off first where you would like it to come off. There were times in my weight loss where it would come off my face, or legs, but not my belly. Patience and perseverance is needed. When you get closer to you goal you will see more is gone.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    According to an article I rad in a WebMD magazine today, the only way to get of subcutaneous fat (fat under the skin) was cardio, cardio, and more cardio. They divided participant into 3 groups: cardio only, strength training only, and both. The group cardio only lost the most of this type of fat which is the kind you want to lose. Hope that helps!!

I got lean without cardio. Go figure.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Off topic..but I love your manatee ticker!
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I know I have only lost 9 pounds and I have a lot more to go.
    I was just looking for some pointers on some exercise that could focus on these areas.
    I have been losing inches, that I can see, but like I said I can only see it in profile pictures not frontal pictures.

I am just overly self conscious and I want to feel attractive and I know these areas are not making me feel it.
    I guess I will just keep doing what I am doing and eventually it will drop off..
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options

:heart:
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Also, I guess you're naturally an 'apple' shaped body? (i.e. tend to gain weigh around the middle, thin arms and legs?). So enjoy and celebrate your good bits! :smile:

I've never had good legs, no matter how thin I've been (I'm an hourglass shape, so folks are jealous of my waist, but I get fat arms and legs). Everyone has good and not to good bits - focus on the good and the changes you have made and just keep going!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    As said above for most people the tummy pooch is the last to go. It's the area the body prefers to store fat. I am struggling with losing that last bit of belly fat!

I thought I'd share this video it's pretty funny>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a2DQC-ghio

Patience, persistence and consistency conquer all things!
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I know I have only lost 9 pounds and I have a lot more to go.
    I was just looking for some pointers on some exercise that could focus on these areas.
    I have been losing inches, that I can see, but like I said I can only see it in profile pictures not frontal pictures.

I am just overly self conscious and I want to feel attractive and I know these areas are not making me feel it.
    I guess I will just keep doing what I am doing and eventually it will drop off..

You cannot spot reduce. Just keep plugging along. Do you weight train? If not, consider it.
  • sapphiretyger
    sapphiretyger Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have lost, since 2007, a total of 64 pounds and am trying to take off the last 6 to get to my goal weight. I still have a darn tummy (although it is now much smaller than my chest, rather than the other way around!) and am starting to come to the conclusion that I always will. I work out all the time and try to do waistline whittling stuff, but I am thinking it might be a combo of being a woman/mother and being in mid-life at this point. All I know is my stomach area, and under my arms, are the hardest to tighten up and I have become accepting of that.
  • Jeff92se
    Options
    I have lost, since 2007, a total of 64 pounds and am trying to take off the last 6 to get to my goal weight. I still have a darn tummy (although it is now much smaller than my chest, rather than the other way around!) and am starting to come to the conclusion that I always will. I work out all the time and try to do waistline whittling stuff, but I am thinking it might be a combo of being a woman/mother and being in mid-life at this point. All I know is my stomach area, and under my arms, are the hardest to tighten up and I have become accepting of that.

Same here as a guy. But dammit, I've seen some results and I'm going to have abs at least ONCE in my life! Dammit! haha
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    Options
    Also, I guess you're naturally an 'apple' shaped body? (i.e. tend to gain weigh around the middle, thin arms and legs?). So enjoy and celebrate your good bits! :smile:

I am pear, and I hate it so much.
    You cannot spot reduce. Just keep plugging along. Do you weight train? If not, consider it.

I know you can't spot reduce, I was just wondering what some good exercises would be for it. I can only weight train when I get to the gym. I do do the 30day shred with Jillian, but it is not intense with weight as I can get with the gym. Any tips for weight lifting at the gym for this?
  • jmvane15
    Options
    Try swimming. That's a great way to get more toned.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options

Ha! Me too. A Veggie Tales song started playing in my head when I saw it.