How long does it take phentermine to work?

Options

Replies

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Interesting how many 1-post wonders are on this thread (and many of them don't know how to use the return key to create paragraphs to make their "testimonial" readable),

and also how many people are popping in not to answer the question, but to criticize the OP's choices, obviously made in consultation with a doctor, about what is right for her in her situation.
    dbmata wrote:
    Heh, you're taking snake oil?
    Good luck with that.
    ck wrote:
    I fail to understand how taking one drug to "fix" what another did can do anything but cause more damage and further screw things up.
    I don't buy into diet pills
    Eat at a defecit a.nd u will lose.
    I encourage you to stop taking those pills if you can.
    If you don't want or need to use every tool available to lose weight, then don't.
    It's your choice.
    But would you tell someone who's in pain not to take tylenol (or morphine, depending)?
    Of course not.
    For someone who's constantly hungry, an appetite-control medicine is a wonderful, amazing aid, allowing them to learn to eat healthy portions and reset their hunger mechanism.

It's true that eating fewer calories than your body needs results in weight loss.
    An appetite suppressant allows people who use it to do exactly that.
    It's not magic, it won't cause weight loss, it only helps control appetite.
    hearthwood wrote:
    Another snake oil product, designed specifically to remove money from your wallet, via the Pharm industry. This one designed to supposedly keep you from getting hungry. So you're basically getting injected with who knows what that came out of some chemists bottle, for profit
    You're showing your ignorance, but thank you - people will see that & ignore what you say.
    It is an appetite suppressant, and wouldn't be approved for human use if it had been found to be dangerous or ineffective.
    And it's not an injection.
    And the contents are known.
    asha wrote:
    what time of day should I take them
    Early in the day, like with breakfast or at your midmorning break, because for some people there is a stimulant effect, and you don't want it to keep you awake. If you take it midmorning, the appetite lowering effect would cover lunch, dinner, and all afternoon, maybe a little into the evening.
    lisa wrote:
    where is everyone getting it from
    My pharmacy, with a prescription from my doctor.
    june wrote:
    going off Phen is difficult. The doctor I am seeing now weans patients off of it for six months
    Bologna.
    I had no problem stopping using the medicine. When I decided I wanted to do it, I skipped a dose if I'd lost weight the day before and took a dose if I didn't lose weight. Eventually, after maybe 3 weeks, I realized I wasn't taking it at all. I'm still losing weight, and am appropriately hungry.
    You have to drink 60 ounces of water minimum per day
    Bologna.
    That's a good idea anyway, but not due to the medicine.
    jenny wrote:
    I've been on Phentermine two months now, and I've lost 45 lbs
    How fat were you when you started? Because the only people who lose 5 lb a week (healthfully) are the ones who start off morbidly obese, the ones TV shows are made about, the ones who have to be tended to because they can't do anything for themselves, even clean up after peeing.
    (So in part they got fat because of their family, or whoever is feeding them, since they can't get food on their own. Very sad.)

51637601.png
  • jacqueline7599
    jacqueline7599 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I lost 8lbs first month. After that nothing. I haven't lost 1 lb since. That was in Aug. My thyroid sucks but right above where they will give me pills. I have no energy at all. The pill hasn't helped me with energy either. I also take b12 shots. Nothing doesn't help one bit. I feel I'm a lost cause at this point.
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    How does Phen help with learning portion control? It lowers your appetite but when you come off of it wouldn't your appetite just come straight back?
  • jimjim111
    jimjim111 Posts: 5 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hello, I'm 279 lbs and wanna lose weight quickly. Will phentermine help me?
    I'm really confused cos there are a lot of negative testimonials.
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I took phentermine years ago. I does curb your appetite. It also causes dry mouth, heart palpitations, causes sleeplessness. It DOES NOT teach you how to eat wisely. If you haven't mastered portion control you run the great risk of just going back to your old ways and regaining every single pound. I think we all want to see results quickly, but honestly the best thing you can do for your health is lose more slowly while you adapt better, long term, sustainable good eating habits. Start by using the calculator to figure out your TDEE and cut back about 20%.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    jimjim111 wrote: »

Cocaine will help you lose weight fast. It should have basically the same negative testimonials as phentermine does, with the one exception of legality. At 279 lb you should not have a problem dropping weight quickly if you use the calculator and start counting calories accurately. Why not try that before you resort to amphetamines?
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options

You didn't gain the weight quickly and you won't lose it quickly. You have to change your lifestyle to keep it off. Trying for a quick fix usually means you want to find an easy way that allows you to keep doing what you were doing. And yhat doesn't work long term.
  • UncertifiedBigGirl
    UncertifiedBigGirl Posts: 45 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Why so many rude post? Clearly a lot of people are unhappy and it has nothing to do with their weight.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ozhkckhd5crs.gif
    resurrect the dead
  • Tonibadr
    Tonibadr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I lost within a few days, not much though. I lost 17 pounds in 2 months. I couldn't eat so basically I starved myself. The second time I tried it I lost nothing and that was after 3 weeks. I hated phen but was desperate. I ate decent, exercised regularly and hard, had a physically demanding job, and nada so I tried it. Ehh it was mu thyroid after all and I feel so much better now. The phen did nothing for energy for me; I could go to sleep all day after taking it.
    . It does nothing for me energy wise either , I have NO side affects what-so-ever .. It didn't even help me the first

• Tonibadr
    Tonibadr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Tonibadr wrote: »
    I lost within a few days, not much though. I lost 17 pounds in 2 months. I couldn't eat so basically I starved myself. The second time I tried it I lost nothing and that was after 3 weeks. I hated phen but was desperate. I ate decent, exercised regularly and hard, had a physically demanding job, and nada so I tried it. Ehh it was mu thyroid after all and I feel so much better now. The phen did nothing for energy for me; I could go to sleep all day after taking it.
    . It does nothing for me energy wise either , I have NO side affects what-so-ever .. It didn't even help me the first 10 weeks my Dr had to mix it with another prescription ..

• cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Who dug up this old post??
  • jimjim111
    Options
    Has anyone heard of PhenQ diet pills? These are phentermine alternative. I'm looking for testimonials...

:o
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    Has anyone heard of PhenQ diet pills? These are phentermine alternative. I'm looking for testimonials...

:o

Try a calorie deficit instead. It's free, it's guaranteed to work if you do it properly, and it doesn't come with any nasty side effects.
  • TrainerNaomiGutierrez
    Options
    The amount of time it takes for phentermine to "kick in" depends on whether or not it is 'time release'. It also depends on whether you took it with food, on an empty stomach or with water.

I have taken this medication on and off for ten years.

This medication is only a tool, and not an 'answer' to one's weight issues. I suggest focusing on weight training, and eating a healthy protein rich diet. Put on as much muscle as you can, and during the phentermine cycle (yes, it should be seen as a cycle) continue focusing on weight training. What many people do not understand, is that body weight is not the most important thing. Keep your eye on putting on as much muscle as you can, whilst losing body fat. Muscle keeps the fat in check.

From my experience, phentermine is a great medication and very effective. Try using it only after a body building cycle, and continue your weight training.
  • ALSABLUE
    ALSABLUE Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Thanks so much for posting this. I just started it 2 weeks ago. I've been really focused on my diet. I don't plan to use it long so healthy habits are a must.
  • jimjim111
    Options
    Finally, I started taking PhenQ diet pills. I already lost 8 lbs for 2 weeks. Feeling so much motivated about my future progress. I also drink much water and reduced my daily calorie intake to 1800 calores.

Current weight: 285 lbs.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My friend took adipex.phen-phen for 4 months and now has heart valve issues . She takes 6 pills a day for her heart. .. every day for the rest of her life. She cant get her heart rate up too high or she has chest pain. Has to go to the doctor every 3 months for tests and they are expensive. She gained back what she lost.

No thank you. There is nothing wrong with hunger. Get a natural high with exercise. Restless nights, dry mouth and heart valve sputters? Doctor expenses, time off of work, pills for the rest of your life? Gain back the weight once you stop taking phen.

Not a road Im willing to risk.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    (Psychotropic Substances, amphetamine) Adipex, Phen-phen, PhenQ

Oh and the doctors appointment fee, as well as the prescription 100.00 or month...... THEN:

increased blood pressure
    psychosis
    heart palpitations
    inability to keep an erection
    difficulty having a bowel movement (stool)
    arrhythmia
    restlessness
    dizziness
    tremor
    insomnia
    shortness of breath
    chest pain
    swelling of the legs and ankles
    difficulty doing exercise that you have been able to do
    dry mouth
    unpleasant taste
    diarrhea
    constipation
    vomiting
    decreased interest in sexual intercourse
    dry mouth
    false or unusual sense of well-being
    hives or welts
    itching
    loss in sexual ability, desire, drive, or performance
    redness of the skin
    skin rash
    constipation
    unpleasant taste
    difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
    Serious regurgitant cardiac valvular disease
    Risk of abuse and dependence
    headaches
    arrhythmia
    sleep apnea
    mitral heart valve regurgitation
    tricuspid valve insufficiency

Hunger is a natural part of living. How you answer that is up to you.
    Many in this community have lost more then 100 pounds without diet pills.

With the risk and cost.. is it really worth it????

• ciraira87
    ciraira87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The amount of time it takes for phentermine to "kick in" depends on whether or not it is 'time release'. It also depends on whether you took it with food, on an empty stomach or with water.

I have taken this medication on and off for ten years....

How long are your On/off cycles? I was on Phentermine for 6 months, came off them and gained 30 lbs, while still doing a crossfit and Zumba regimen 5-6 times a week. The first time I did Phentermine, I gained 60lbs in 4 months! How do you cope with the return of appetite. That is my issue. My appetite, all I want to do is eat. An I eat healthy, (Green smoothies, eggs, spinach, legumes, proteins....) but I just eat sooo much.. sigh.