How long does it take phentermine to work?

Options
12346»

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    ciraira87 wrote: »
    The amount of time it takes for phentermine to "kick in" depends on whether or not it is 'time release'. It also depends on whether you took it with food, on an empty stomach or with water.

I have taken this medication on and off for ten years....

How long are your On/off cycles? I was on Phentermine for 6 months, came off them and gained 30 lbs, while still doing a crossfit and Zumba regimen 5-6 times a week. The first time I did Phentermine, I gained 60lbs in 4 months! How do you cope with the return of appetite. That is my issue. My appetite, all I want to do is eat. An I eat healthy, (Green smoothies, eggs, spinach, legumes, proteins....) but I just eat sooo much.. sigh.

You need to focus on re-learning how to eat, proper portion sizes, etc. Phentermine curbs your appetite, but it does nothing to teach you healthy habits.

Perhaps you should set up your calorie goals on MFP, purchase a food scale, and try to accurately measure your intake for a while. Ditch the phentermine - you've been on it more than once and it has done nothing to help you long term.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    ciraira87 wrote: »
    The amount of time it takes for phentermine to "kick in" depends on whether or not it is 'time release'. It also depends on whether you took it with food, on an empty stomach or with water.

I have taken this medication on and off for ten years....

How long are your On/off cycles? I was on Phentermine for 6 months, came off them and gained 30 lbs, while still doing a crossfit and Zumba regimen 5-6 times a week. The first time I did Phentermine, I gained 60lbs in 4 months! How do you cope with the return of appetite. That is my issue. My appetite, all I want to do is eat. An I eat healthy, (Green smoothies, eggs, spinach, legumes, proteins....) but I just eat sooo much.. sigh.

I had bad experiences with gaining weight after using phentermine also. Maybe you should look into taking something that is natural to help with your appetite so you don't have to worry about cycling on an off so much. Drinking green tea helps me, and there are supplements like Liporidex you can try.
  • allym979
    allym979 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think all this stuff is bad news
  • mommamia30189
    mommamia30189 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    kelinore wrote: »
    I started taking this today as well. It's been years since I've taken it. I actually find it doesn't suppress my appetite like my Vyvanse does for my A.D.D. I'm a bit nervous to take both though, considering they're both amphetamines.. I've lost about 20 pounds with out, but once I started taking my A.D.D. medicine daily like i'm supposed to is when i noticed the difference... I exercise and eat right now.. That is 80% of weight loss is eating right.
    I am also on Vyvanse and take phentermine. I worry alot about haing a high tolerance or what will happen when i stop taking either of them. Have you had many bad side effects from taking both?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread! This one just keeps coming back!