how many calories for breakfast?

Options
hi all. I eat about 1200 calories a day (and eat most of my exercise calories back). I know that it's wise to start off with a big breakfast so that I am less hungry throughout the day but I am wondering approximately how many calories I should allocate to breakfast without having to feel to restricted throughout the rest of the day? any ideas or approximations? thanks!

Replies

• chiera88
    chiera88 Posts: 155
    Options
    i'm struggling with this also. can't wait to hear the responses! thanks for posting this
  • deegarcia19
    Options
    I don't eat a big breakfast because for me the breakfast "fullness" wears off fairly fast. I eat about 150-300 calories for breakfast. And I eat 1200 a day.
  • meredithd13
    Options
    usually between 300-400.

it's either muesli and natural yoghurt, home made bircher muesli with natural yoghurt (made with water not juice) or a low fat, high fibre cereal called Hi Bran that you get here in Oz, with natural yoghurt.

although on weekends it's a bit higher as i usually go for brunch. then it's more like 400-500 and i have eggs on toast and a coffee etc.
  • Cathleenr
    Options
    there is no set number of calories to eat per meal, or even how many meals per day to eat, or when to eat them.
    some people dont like to eat before noon and they exercise fasted.
    some people like to nibble throughout the day.
    some people like to have a meal while laying in bed just before they go to sleep.
    if you want to have a big breakfast to get your day going, by all means have it. as long as you get all your calories in before you go to sleep, its all good.
  • annejuju
    annejuju Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    It's important to not SKIP breakfast so you don't overeat at lunch. But I think that when you eat a large meal is up to you. I don't have a large appetite in the morning so I usually have a big lunch instead. It's also important to be sure you're getting all your protein - that will help you to keep filling full. These are just my own experiences and I'm sure it's different for everyone but this is how I get through. This morning I just had toast and butter and then had a large protein packed lunch.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I'm an evening eater and always have been. I have 200 - 250 cals for breakfast, similar for lunch, an afternoon snack and the rest at dinner (8-9pm). I have lost 55lbs and am now maintaining at 110lbs. It doesn't matter when you eat what, go with what suits you.
  • lucylue21
    Options
    for breakfast i do 2 pieces of 35 calorie wheat bread (it is made of vegetable fiber and is really good for you annd is not expensive) then i take an egg for protein. then i take an orange. it keeps me full and its very fiberous and has protein for a grand total of 220. i put on some sugar free jelly on my toast or spray butter. the jelly is like 5 extra calories.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a lazy breakfast - a frozen breakfast quesadilla - 230 calories and I think 12g protein. No special reason except its fairly tasty and very quick.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Personally, what works for me is a breakfast of 250-300 calories (e.g. oat porridge with fruit and a glass of skim milk) if I am eating *only* 1200 calories in a day, increasing to 400 (e.g. adding some nuts to the porridge) on a day with some exercise (so I'm eating around 2000 calories over the day) and 500 (e.g. bacon and eggs) if I am going to be exercising most of the day.
  • Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

I'd say a filling breakfast, not necessarily a high calorie one.

I eat a bowl of pre-packed oatmeal with raisins and apple bits, milk and two coffees. It's about 180ish cal, I think.

Eggs would be a filling low cal choice - a boiled egg (or fried with a teeeny bit of oil) on wholegrain toast would be good, especially if you add some kind of veg (spinach, grilled tomato?)

I aim for about 400 for lunch, 400+ for dinner and about 300ish for snacks. I exercise to some degree most days.

Cheers,
    EJ
  • klynn08
    klynn08 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with another response, I usually try not to eat an incredible amount at breakfast because it doesn't seem to make me feel full anyways. I am used to eating just a little before I head off to class and it works for me. I usually do coffee and toast or sometimes fruit or on days I want a treat a toaster strudel :) they're my weakness. But ya i usually keep it under 200. I also have 1200 calories each day
  • jlcampbell2008
    Options
    I once read a saying: "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper."

Now, when you break it down it makes a whole lot of sense. Eating more calories in the beginning of the day will get your metabolism going AND you will burn off a lot of those throughout the day! The lunch and dinner is only to keep your metabolism going.
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I aim for about 500 cals but then my total is a lot higher than 1200. Do what works for you- I find that if I don't have a big and balanced breakfast that i have a hard time the rest of the day. Others find that the morning is a good time to cut calories. It doesn't really matter.
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have these amazing Fruit and Honey Energy Bars I make from Weight Watchers.... Alot! (both mine and my husbands favorite) and they hold me over til lunch just fine... Plus coffee and creamer for 396

Or I make a double sized muffin.... Right now I am addicted to a Double Chip Pumpkin Muffin... Again for close to the same calories. But I eat 1450 calories a day plus I eat my exercise calories... But those are reserved for a glass of wine and chocolate for dessert! :love:
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Bumping this because this is a great question!
  • lgammy
    lgammy Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is around 260-300 calories. i aim for under 1400 per day but you could do similar.
  • nasprewell
    nasprewell Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    There's no benefit or downfall to eating a large breakfast, metabolically speaking. I personally feel less hungry if I munch throughout the day. Some ppl get full off one sitting. Find what works for you and stick with it :). Good luck!
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I once read a saying: "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper."

Now, when you break it down it makes a whole lot of sense. Eating more calories in the beginning of the day will get your metabolism going AND you will burn off a lot of those throughout the day! The lunch and dinner is only to keep your metabolism going.

I've heard this saying too and would LOVE to try it just for a day to see how I feel, but I've never done it! Growing up in America, dinner is always the "big meal" of the day... and i have this worry (for lack of a better word) that if I eat most of my cals for breakfast & lunch, that I'll be "missing out" when it comes to dinner... or I worry, "What if I'm really hungry at dinner and don't have many cals left?" etc etc

I still intend to try it though! :)
  • Vaanja
    Vaanja Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm not really a breakfast kind of girl but my meds require me to have protein in the morning, so I usually go with a half-cup 0% greek yogurt mixed with a quarter cup kashi go-lean crisp for 130 calories and 15 grams of protein.
    Whether I eat a big breakfast or none at all, I like to get my munch on during the late afternoon and early evening..so I prefer to save the bulk of my calories for then.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i would die if i had to survive on 1200 calories a day. i tried it before and was starving all the time, not to mention i wasn't losing any weight.

i am presently set at 1560 calories a day in order to lose 1 lb a week. most days my breakfast is anywhere between 400 and 550 calories. as i do also eat at least half of my exercise calories, most days i have closer to 2000 or more calories to play with. my lunch and my dinner are usually more calories than my breakfast.