how many calories for breakfast?

Options

Replies

• superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a huge breakfast cos I was all for my 'sets you up for the day, brain food' stuff, but now ive cut it down a lot and i'll just have a piece of fruit in the monrings, and I actually feel less hungry sooner than I used to. It used to hit 10am and i'd be hungry again. But maybe this is also to do with the fact that I'm far more motivated now and dont WANT to eat as much !
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I once read a saying: "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper."

Now, when you break it down it makes a whole lot of sense. Eating more calories in the beginning of the day will get your metabolism going AND you will burn off a lot of those throughout the day! The lunch and dinner is only to keep your metabolism going.

This is old school nonsense. It doesn't work that way.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I once read a saying: "Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper."

Now, when you break it down it makes a whole lot of sense. Eating more calories in the beginning of the day will get your metabolism going AND you will burn off a lot of those throughout the day! The lunch and dinner is only to keep your metabolism going.

Completely false. This was put about years ago and is totally untrue. When you eat your calories is completely irrelevant. Breakfast does not boost your metabolism at all. All it may do is help reduce cravings later on. If you don't have, or can control your, cravings then breakfast is just a waste of calories you could be having when you really want them.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Mine is usually around 400 calories. Nice big breakfast so I can hit the gym hard. :-)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I usually just have oats or Rice Krispies with a cup of tea before I get up to walk my dog, then I snack on pieces of fruit or carrot sticks throughout day, lunch is salad or soup, dinner is salad or vegetables with lean white meat or fish (no batter/breadcrumbs).

At weekend I like a cooked 'brunch' so maybe scrambled egg on (GF) toast, omelette or BLT (bacon grilled on health grill) with a gluten free pitta bread.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1300 and eat most of my exercise calories. I try to eat an even amount of calories at each meal with two snacks half that amount. For instance if I burn 400 exercising then I have 1700 available for the day. That means I can have up to 425 at breakfast lunch and dinner AND two 212 calorie snacks. I also try to have a balance of lean protein, good carbs and fat when I eat. This helps sustain me until its time to eat again.
  • klopiccolo1
    klopiccolo1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am at 1250 calories a day and I eat a bowl of oatmeal ( about 140 calories ) every morning on the weekdays. On the weekends if I dont have oatmeal my breakfast's are usually about 300-400 calories. I have found that for me the more I eat in the morning the faster I get hungry again for some reason. Before starting on MFP I never ate breakfast and would end up eating all day at work or at home.
  • Sydney1210
    Options
    i eat 90 calories for breakfast and hitting 500-600 for lunch i'm 112 lbs now struggling to get to 95lbs
  • Boofuls
    Boofuls Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just had a flick through my diary - very variable. Usually 200-300 on work days and then 500 once a week or so when I make pancakes. Then 400 ish for lunch and about 700 between dinner and snacks. I try to be under for the week rather than the day though so sometimes I change it around a lot.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I range anywhere from 200-400 calories depending on what's going on that day.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200-1400 calories/day and breakfast is my largest meal... somewhere between 350-420 calories. I would say a more typical amount for most people would be 250-300 on a 1200 calorie plan.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    300-400 depending on the day but I also eat 1600.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    hi all. I eat about 1200 calories a day (and eat most of my exercise calories back). I know that it's wise to start off with a big breakfast so that I am less hungry throughout the day but I am wondering approximately how many calories I should allocate to breakfast without having to feel to restricted throughout the rest of the day? any ideas or approximations? thanks!

Starting off with a big breakfast isn't 'wise', it all depends on what works for you. You just need to get those 1200 calories in, so divide them up however suits you.

I prefer a big dinner, so my breakfasts tend to be around 220 cals for some porridge. I've recently started a morning workout though, so now I eat double that, as I tend to be ravenous after!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Strong 2 year thread bump
  • ladler91
    Options
    I usually drink a smoothie that I've made for breakfast which is around 300/350 calories. It keeps me full until lunch time! google healthy smoothies that incorporate frozen berries and veggies.
  • lauraspberry
    lauraspberry Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I only go between 150-250 recently because I feel so hungry before lunch, so I save up some cals for snacks in between meals :)
  • notyouraveragetalia
    Options
    Usually 300-400 including my morning snack! I am SO hungry in the mornings. Usually egg scrambles/protein pancakes on the weekends and oatmeal during the week.
  • Ashleigh_LP
    Ashleigh_LP Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I usually have around 150-250 cals for breakfast and lunch is around 400-500 with the remaining 650ish for dinner :)
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Dispite what most people will probably claim, there is little viable scientific evidence suggesting when and how often someone should eat their calories in a day. Set up your macros, and meet them every day. doesn't much matter when and how you meet them, just do.

As for me, I eat about 80% of my calories for breakfast and lunch. Breakfast at about 200-400 and lunch at about 750-1200 and that seems to work best for me. I'm not a fan of eating near bedtime which is pretty early for me.....

The only claim that I've seen with substance is how you eat before/after a workout... but that's for a different thread.
  • alechua
    alechua Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I'm not a heavy breakfast eater. I usually allocate 200-260 at most for breakfast. :) My biggest meal would be at lunch. :)