Different words for different things

Options
magichatter06
magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
Ok, so I was wondering if people on here call certain things a different word because that is what your parents called it??

You know that thing you push at Wally World.....well I call it a carriage and people think I am crazy b/c they call it a "buggy" down here and I swear I was in CT and I saw a sign that said "Carriages here" and I should have got a picture of it!!!:laugh:

What about you!!?

Replies

• magichatter06
    Options
    Ok, so I was wondering if people on here call certain things a different word because that is what your parents called it??

You know that thing you push at Wally World.....well I call it a carriage and people think I am crazy b/c they call it a "buggy" down here and I swear I was in CT and I saw a sign that said "Carriages here" and I should have got a picture of it!!!:laugh:

What about you!!?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person that calls in a grocery cart? LOL :laugh:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    in NY we call it a cart or buggy:bigsmile: in Ga we called it a buggy or shoppin buggy
  • memuellerpa
    Options
    What's Wally World?

Are you talking about the thing you push babies around in? I've heard that called a stroller, a carriage or a buggy (the latter two being rather quaint). Or are you talking about the thing you push around at the grocery store or the department store? That's always called a shopping cart, wherever I've been.

Cheers!
  • fitchick99
    fitchick99 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I asked for a can of pop when we were in florida for the holidays, girl at the convenience store had no clue what I was asking for, then politely told me it's a can of soda!
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    What's Wally World?

Are you talking about the thing you push babies around in? I've heard that called a stroller, a carriage or a buggy (the latter two being rather quaint). Or are you talking about the thing you push around at the grocery store or the department store? That's always called a shopping cart, wherever I've been.

Cheers!
    Walmart =Wally World
  • MyaPapaya75
    Options
    I asked for a can of pop when we were in florida for the holidays, girl at the convenience store had no clue what I was asking for, then politely told me it's a can of soda!
    Ha Ha so true Im used to saying soda or coke *everything is a coke in the south* But when I come home to NY everyone says pop
  • pegm
    pegm Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    We've always called baby pacifiers.. plugs. Just a family thing.
  • memuellerpa
    Options
    In St Louis it's neither "pop" nor "soda." It's "sody." :P
    In Texas (at least when I've visited there) it's called "coke" no matter what kind of soft drink they are talking about. As in, "Do you want a coke?" "Sure." "What kind-- 7-Up, Orange, Cola?"
  • magichatter06
    Options

They call it pop here too, I've always called it soda! haha:laugh:
  • memuellerpa
    Options
    QUOTE:

What's Wally World?

Cheers!

Walmart =Wally World

~~~~

D'oh! :) Never heard it called that around here (Chicagoland).
  • memuellerpa
    Options
    It's definitely "pop" in the northern Midwest (IL, IN, MI) where I've lived all my life.

I think regional usage is a fascinating subject!
  • magichatter06
    Options
    I guess not many people call WalMart ..Wally World either! lol

It's kind of funny how like each region or state has their own sort of "dialect" lol
  • aasta
    aasta Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Buggy here in Texas :tongue:
  • fitchick99
    Options

It's kind of funny how like each region or state has their own sort of "dialect" lol

I thought Wally World was a theme park, like the one in National lampoons vacation...lol...i'm canadian, whadaya want?? haha
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I grew up calling it a grocery basket or a grocery cart, but here in the south they say buggy -

My grandmother called the trunk of a car the "turtle".
    We always had a wallet, but my friends in the south call it a pocket book.
    My mom call the couch a "devan"
    :bigsmile:
  • magichatter06
    Options

I thought Wally World was a theme park, like the one in National lampoons vacation...lol...i'm canadian, whadaya want?? haha

I thought you might have been "out of state" hah:laugh: It's ok, we'll get you up to date on American terms!!
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've always called them "carts" but here in Kentucky, they're "buggies" and I had no idea what people were talking about for a while...
  • fitchick99
    Options
    We've always called baby pacifiers.. plugs. Just a family thing.

we call them dummies...I have no idea why
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I was on a plane once as a kid and asked for a soda and the flight attendant, "stewardess" we called them, handed me seltzer water...so gross! Then, we flew to TX and yes I learned everything is a coke...not Cokes only.

My friends and family all say Wally World, and shopping carts. My husband insists that "buggies" are horse drawn carriages.

Pocket book is a good one. In some places a purse is also called a pocket book.

The trunk of the car is called the boot too.

Here' a funny one. One of my friends said where she's from they call "erasers" "rubbers"!:noway: