Different words for different things

Options

Replies

• wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options

we call them dummies...I have no idea why

In Puerto Rico we call them "bo bo's" which translates as dummy. Kind of like we're faking giving the baby what he really wants.
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    We've always called baby pacifiers.. plugs. Just a family thing.

hahahah...
    I thought we were the only ones that did that! We called it the "happiness plug", because when it fell out, all the happiness would leak out:smile:
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I call the buggy a basket and I call Wal-mart Wally World too :happy:

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • Kelleighanne
    Options
    In St Louis it's neither "pop" nor "soda." It's "sody." :P
    In Texas (at least when I've visited there) it's called "coke" no matter what kind of soft drink they are talking about. As in, "Do you want a coke?" "Sure." "What kind-- 7-Up, Orange, Cola?"

EXACTLY!!! That's how its supposed to be LOL. But it's more like, "What do you want to drink?" "A coke." "What kind?" "Pepsi" LOL
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    I totally thought you were referring to a theme park, too... but it makes sense now!

Definitely a shopping cart.
    A baby buggy is a stroller.
    A trunk is just a trunk.
    A pacifier is a woobie. (why, I don't know... it's just a common term)
    A coke is a pop.
    All tissues are Kleenex, no matter what brand.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Get a cart!

My mom was from upstate NY and raised me in Florida. I remember going to Georgia with a friend when I was a kid. I thought they spoke another language there!

I asked for water and she told me to get it out of the spicket :drinker:
    Then I had to go to the bathroom and she said the comode was down the hall:noway:
    The mom told us to clean my friends room and my friend replied 'aingonndoit'

I really thought it was a different language!:laugh: :laugh:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options

I called it a ga ga as a youngin'
    At work in the Nursery I've heard it called-pacifier, dummy,sucky,soose, (my little guy who's now 17 said soo? like a question..sorry, flashback), booboo,nipple,doedoe,lulu,plug, yaya, soother, and on and on... I prefer "plug" after a 12 hour day of screaming babies. Plug it up!:explode: :happy:
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I grew up calling it a grocery basket or a grocery cart, but here in the south they say buggy -

My grandmother called the trunk of a car the "turtle".
    We always had a wallet, but my friends in the south call it a pocket book.
    My mom call the couch a "devan"
    :bigsmile:

Hahahahaha my honey is from the south he calls the trunk a turtle, a purse a pocket book and a dresser is a chest of drawers......

I call the trunk a coffin, my purse is my suitcase and a dresser is somone who wears them thar fancy clothes!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options

I called it a ga ga as a youngin'
    At work in the Nursery I've heard it called-pacifier, dummy,sucky,soose, (my little guy who's now 17 said soo? like a question..sorry, flashback), booboo,nipple,doedoe,lulu,plug, yaya, soother, and on and on... I prefer "plug" after a 12 hour day of screaming babies. Plug it up!:explode: :happy:

the only thing I remember calling them was 'the damn thing that fell on the floor AGAIN!"
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in Oregon.

I live in Connecticut now.

It took me awhile to get used to saying different things. Mainly the soda/pop thing. I grew up calling it pop. Came out here and learned it was soda. Now, when I go visit my family and ask for a soda, they look at me funny.

Also, I grew up with Best Foods mayo which becomes Hellman's on this side of the Mississippi. LOL!
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised in Oregon.

I live in Connecticut now.

It took me awhile to get used to saying different things. Mainly the soda/pop thing. I grew up calling it pop. Came out here and learned it was soda. Now, when I go visit my family and ask for a soda, they look at me funny.

Also, I grew up with Best Foods mayo which becomes Hellman's on this side of the Mississippi. LOL!

My parents were born & raised in CT and when they moved down here they called it pop...so my bro in law is real southern and he'll say "pop" and my mom goes " We don't have 'pop' in this house we have 'soda'" haha :tongue:
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I too, go to "Wally World" and push a "buggy". Thank goodness I no longer have to purchase "Binkies" or "Passy's" (Pacifier). I do love me some "pop" though...although I'm trying to quit! :laugh:
  • mburris
    Options
    In Louisiana it's a buggy.
    Any carbonated beverage is a coke.
    We call Walmart Wally World

I got one: Some places in Louisiana call grocery shopping "making groceries".
  • magichatter06
    magichatter06 Posts: 3,593 Member
    Options
    Also, I just thought of...around here, everything no matter what sport it is called "playing ball" and I get confused b/c I'm like which sport is it! Basketball, softball, football, baseball???

haha
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    my family moved from NYC to a small town in AZ when i was 5. my parents both born and raised in NYC had very different terms for things than they used out there - we were very influenced by CA where i lived.

anyways, my mom called a purse a pocketbook. there were other things too. like soda.

i remember being at a b-day party at the beach where my mom was bbqing some lunch. when it was ready she said - who wants a frankfuter? all the kids looked at her like - what??? i said, mom its a hot dog, HOT DOG not a frankfuter. :laugh: i was embarrassed by my mom's dialect, but now it just makes me smile. :wink:
  • marisa0918
    Options
    I was raised in PA a little north of Pittsburg

I say....
    Wally World
    Buggies
    Pop
    Yinz ( same as y'all)
    When I say "warm" it sounds like "worm"
    Also when I say "wash" it sounds like "worsh"

And one that no one ever knows..... gumband instead of rubberband

Ohh I forgot this one...I live in FL now so instead of saying Target they pronounce it like tar-zay. When I first heard it pronounced like that I thought it was some fancy store or something :laugh:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    Get a cart!

My mom was from upstate NY and raised me in Florida. I remember going to Georgia with a friend when I was a kid. I thought they spoke another language there!

I asked for water and she told me to get it out of the spicket :drinker:
    Then I had to go to the bathroom and she said the comode was down the hall:noway:
    The mom told us to clean my friends room and my friend replied 'aingonndoit'

I really thought it was a different language!:laugh: :laugh:

Imagine being a country bumpkin from NY....no one ever knows what I am saying.:tongue:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I carry a purse or a pocket book. Interchangeable. Or if I'm feeling trendy, I carry a "bag". ("Lemme grab my bag, dahling.")
    I drink sodas.
    I drink sweet tea. (It's the house wine of the South.) Did you know in the South if you order "tea", it's automatically sweet? Down here you must specifically order unsweetened tea. Also, it's always iced. You must spefically state if you want "hot tea".
    I push a buggy in the grocery store. Or a shopping cart.
    My kid's pacifier was called a paci (passy? shortened version of pacifier) but only because we were too lazy to say "pacifier" and didn't want a really cutesie name like 'binkie'.

My friends in the mountains of NC taught me new phrases during college.
    A skunk is a pole cat. (As in, "Shoowee, I smell a pole cat!)
    Gasoline is called "push juice" or "go juice" (cause it makes the car go).
    Women sit around and "talk stories" (instead of gossip or chat or talk.... i.e. "We were at dinner talking stories when all of the sudden....")

I am Southern so I say "ain't" and "y'all" and "ma'am" frequently.
    Other phrases used in my common speak, since I have a 3 y/o: Oh my gracious, oh my goodness, oh my gosh, bless her heart, dang it, what the crap, what the heck, sheesh.
    BTW: Bless her heart is usually a way to preface a horrible statement about someone, like "Bless her heart, she has the frizziest hair in the world!" :laugh:
  • breezysoul
    breezysoul Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I think this might be regional. Here in Wisconsin, we call the thing you drink water out of that's attached to the wall a "bubbler".
  • stef_e_b
    stef_e_b Posts: 593
    Options
    When I went to New Zealand a lot of the food served was sea food and I don't eat sea food. They would ask me if I wanted a hot dog instead. I assumed it would be a weiner on a bun but it was a pogo (named for the brand) or I'd still know what they meant if they said corn dog or hot dog on stick. But that's a hot dog to them and if I wanted a regular hot dog I would have to say american hotdog and then I'd get teased forever about being a yank...despite being from Canada!!! Sorry just my own little rant lol.