Ever see those ppl at the gym who...

Options

Replies

• woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    hm I am almost tempted to get a gym membership just to check people out. :laugh:
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    at the gym i go to you see people reading novels on the different exercise machines like the bike, treadmill stair stepper, eliptcal machines and worse the machines have home made ledge on them to hold their preshious magazines or book. kinda silly that you should put more effort in your work out and save the reading for your spare time

I love to read and work out! I just make sure I keep working hard!
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    ....no matter how many years pass they still look the same? Yea..you can't overtrain a lousy diet. I change so much in a matter of months because I put my diet first....yet a lot of people look the same since I joined the gym go figure....
  • jessicasloan91
    jessicasloan91 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    People that sit on the bike reading a book/newspaper LOL cant be working that hard to be able to do that!
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    at the gym i go to you see people reading novels on the different exercise machines like the bike, treadmill stair stepper, eliptcal machines and worse the machines have home made ledge on them to hold their preshious magazines or book. kinda silly that you should put more effort in your work out and save the reading for your spare time

I push myself really hard in my classes... when I'm on the ellipitcal I push myself for 45 minutes.... Is it so horrible that I like to spend my spare time at the gym reading or watching television while doing the bike or elliptical for an hour or two in addition to my "serious" workout? Would it be better to do this while seated on the couch?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I read on the recumbent bike. But since I did 16 miles in 45 minutes, I think I got a decent enough workout. :wink:

It was a really good book. The more exciting it got, the faster I pedaled.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

I push myself really hard in my classes... when I'm on the ellipitcal I push myself for 45 minutes.... Is it so horrible that I like to spend my spare time at the gym reading or watching television while doing the bike or elliptical for an hour or two in addition to my "serious" workout? Would it be better to do this while seated on the couch?

I admit to amusement at times at the gym...but I also know there are things I do that might draw opinions..ie I do judo uchi komis with hand weights etc...there are times I bring a magazine or book to read because I need a recovery type workout to work the kinks out of my legs etc. I have a tendency to go all out all the time and the more appropirate thing to do is an easier recovery 30 minutes on a bike etc....I am learning to give an internal snicker at times at the people who do one exercise then pose for five minutes and do one more set and pose some more etc...then just get on with my workout
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options

Oddly enough....it is possible to mulitask. I take my Kindle on the elliptical everyday and sweat my booty off all the time. I love taking my Kindle to the gym because I can up up the font size as I move on the elliptical and don't get dizzy or anything, and it makes my routine time fly. Works for me.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    there one girl at my old gym that always came in with a venti frappicino from starbucks, soooooo much makeup, tiniest amount of clothing....she did the butt lifting machine and like 5 mins on the elliptical...rest of the time she flirted with every guy that walked by. Biggest waste of a gym membership
    I don't know, sounds like she's aiming to be a trophy wife, in which case she's made a wise investment.

I don't know how anyone can read or watch anything while jigging up and down - my eyes struggle to focus. Audiobooks FTW! I do read and watch films on my home exercise bike, though, and manage to keep up my target speed.
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I've always had balance & slight co-ordination issues........having a metatarsal osteotomy op on my right foot a year ago hasn't helped.

It's only in the last few weeks I've been able to go on treadmill without holding on. OK, so I'm only doing a gentle 4mph jog on a 3 incline but that's a major achievement for me. Guess I used to look silly holding on while walking.........:embarassed:

I read while on recumbent bike too......

Sue :smile: x
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Holding on burns calories too.
  • _SpeshK_
    _SpeshK_ Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I see people do this with no incline whatsoever! They hold onto the bar that the TV is suspended from the ENTIRE time they do a walking treadmill workout. REALLY? They are basically LEANING on it because it's above their head. And I also see people on ellipticals hold onto the sides right next to their legs. Um...I am PRETTY SURE you are doing the equivalent of sitting on a bench swinging your legs around. It make me REALLY furious when all the machines are taken and I see this nonsense! LOL
  • vanessaclarkgbr
    vanessaclarkgbr Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Live and let live for me, except for turbo perving, and no flirting whilst standing on treadmill doing nothing for 20 minutes please ;-)

We're always going to be someone else's idiot :-)
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    We're always going to be someone else's idiot :-)

Truer words were never spoken.

I know I look ridiculous and disgusting when I get off the treadmill completely drenched with sweat. I know I felt ridiculous when I first started C25K and would only run one minute at a time.
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    There was a guy at my gym that would head bang while he was on the elliptical or running...lol he almost fell quite a few times.
  • ExerciseGeek
    ExerciseGeek Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Yes! The girls who go with full makeup on and every hair in place, belly top and hot pants, never breaking a sweat while they stroll on the treadmill, only at the gym for the purpose of being seen at the gym. Meanwhile, I am there in comfy clothes, no makeup and hair in a bun, sweating my fat *kitten* off and hoping no one hears my huffing and puffing and thinks I am going to die :)
    sameeee!! So annoying! Xxxx
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I always see those people that like to stand around and complain about what others are doing instead of focusing on themselves. Oh wait...
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I work at Curves (the women's gym) and every day during the holiday we have some women who bring in tons of cookies and breads that they don't want to have lying around their house, and the overweight members (who can't for the life of them figure out why they're not losing weight) eat multiple cookies WHILE working out on the machines without thinking twice about it.

We also have plenty of members who don't push themselves on the machines at all, but instead spend their entire time chatting with friends and sitting on machines, moving occasionally.
  • LorinaLynn
    Options
    This is a matter of pure jealousy. I'm not going to pretend it's not.

There's a woman who goes to my gym I've seen lifting, and she has the body that shows she knows what she's doing and works hard at it, but she has the most AMAZING head of hair I've ever seen. Like Soap Opera hair. Pageant hair. Thick, wavy, shiny, healthy, and every single hair in place. She looks like that coming into the gym and she looks that way leaving it.

I (not so) secretly hope the majority of it is extensions. :laugh:
  • mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    A little off topic-I don't usually use the treadmill, but I almost had an awesome wipe out one time while walking with no incline. I decided I wasn't going to hold on and because of lack of sleep I zoned out and when I snapped back to reality I was about 2 inches from falling off the back of the treadmill. Thank God I didn't fall! I would've mangled my face and would've been so embarrassed I could NEVER go back-LOL.

No excuses though for doing a dumb workout-I agree. Wierdest for me too is the grunting weight lifting guy with bad form. Very awkward...