Need motivation to become a "morning person"

Options
2»

Replies

• mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I agree. Also, you don't really give a reason for you not being to exercise in the evening... just that "it never happens." Why doesn't it? I have a sneaking suspicion that it could possibly not be the timing that is the issue, but the actual act of exercising. If you are up until 11 PM and have a toddler, that's a lot of time between her bed time and yours. You just have to bite the bullet and commit to it. If you aren't fully committed, you will always hit snooze, or always stick around on the couch after your daughter goes to sleep.

There will always been a reason not to work out...

It is partially because I am exhausted after she goes to bed, and once I sit down, I rarely get up. I find in the evenings there is too much other stuff I "could" be doing...dishes, laundry, tidying up, watching TV, reading, chatting with DH. If I can get up in the morning, there is nothing else to do then...I am never going to decide to vacuum that early!
  • stephm112
    stephm112 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • PanteraGirl
    PanteraGirl Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Everytime you hear your alarm buzzing in the morning think to yourself : Fit or fat today???

I'm going to try that tomorow morning! Thanks
  • trishlambert
    trishlambert Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I've had the same goal, and am making progress. Rather than try to change my getting-up time by a huge increment all at once, I've been doing it gradually...more or less 5 minutes at a time. I'm now able to get up between 5:30 and 6:00 am without feeling draggy, which is pretty miraculous. A year ago, my usual rising time was between 7:30 and 8:00!

Rather than jar my senses unpleasantly, I set my alarm to a classical radio station. I had to play around with the time I set...over time, I've found that (contraritly), I come awake and ready to rise when the station goes OFF, which is an hour after the alarm time I set. This may not work for you (I'm an iconoclast...I even GASP weigh myself every day!!)...but the bottom line I'm suggesting is that you 1) take it slow and 2) experiment with "get up" strategies till you find one that works for you.
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I am not a morning person...I will workout in the morning if I really have to but I hate it....I usually love my owrkouts etc but hate hate hate them in the morning....I learned that "making" myself a morning person just made me hate working out. ( I love working out...but hate them in the morning and understand how people quit)...now I don't try to be someone I am not...I figure out a time in the afternoon or evening to make it happen...I work and have four kids ages 4 to 10 so it can be done...my kids do a lot of things with me...ie they work puzzles while I work tae bo...I got them 1 lb weights and they workout with me...give the morning thing a try and if doesn't work for you make something else work better
  • ciorsdahmac
    Options
    I always work out in the mornings. Honestly, the first couple of mornings were killer for me because I was getting into a new routine. I made sure that I booked myself into fitness classes in the morning because I hate letting people down, so if I booked in I know I HAVE to be there and that helped drag my lazy butt out of bed.

BUT the mroe you do it the easier it becomes and your body starts to expect it.

I have found that I get better results when I work out in the am because I think " well what else can I do in Edinburgh at 6am?" whereas if I was working out after work I'd be in the gym cursing things becaue I could be home cleaning, cooking or out with friends.

I try to make sure that I have a balanced final meal of the day and I dont take any caffine after 2pm which helps me get a good sleep.

You can do it, just remember. When you hear that alarm just FORCE yourself up and do not hit the snooze button!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the puzzle alarm tip :)
    I used it this morning. I got kind of annoyed when I couldn't figure it out fast enough and left the room to avoid waking up my husband, but then I realized that was the point! So I got up on time/early. I didn't work out this morning...I didn't leave myself quite enough time...but I did get to enjoy a leisurely breakfast and have a cup of tea in front of the news before I got the baby up. I still barely made it to work on time though :P Oh well, I blame the construction on the roads!