How many calories do you burn in a cardio workout?

Options
I'm curious for those of us who will run/bike/elliptical for exercise, how many calories do you burn in a work out, how long will you typically work out for and is there a target calories/minute or wattage that you attempt to maintain.

Mine range from 30 minutes to 60 and I try to maintain between 15 to 18 calories per minute.

Replies

• jhardenbergh
    jhardenbergh Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Today I ran for 60 minutes and I burned 1411, my average hr was 155, for about 50 of those minutes it was in the 160's, I had a 10 minute cool down. Usually if I cross train do treadmill, stair climber, and then arc trainer for an hour it's around 1200 to 1300 calories burned.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I usually do between 30-45 min cardio. Total burn is anywhere from 375-500 cals.

I always aim to burn at least 10 cals per minute, I usually burn more.

edited to add: I usually run on the treadmill or use the eliptical.

Occasionally I use the spin bike. That burns more calories but doesn't record them.
  • JenniferH007
    Options
    i walk 1.25 miles a day 7 days a week that is 30 min and about 131 calories a day and then i lift weight 3 days a week
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I burn about a hundred calories per ten minutes, I don't know what the wattage is. That's keeping my heart rate around 178. Usually for an hour, but some times longer. ( Lately 85 minutes) Thats about 88% percent of my max heart rate. Sometimes I go harder, but I can't keep up a heart rate of 185 + for too long. That's on the elliptical. Using a heart rate monitor. Unless you are a very big person I doubt you are burning more than 12 calories a minute.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Judging from my heart rate monitor, I burn around 300 calories when I'm on the elliptical for around 45 minutes. That seems pretty low, but I'm not extremely overweight, so maybe that's why? idk.
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I ran for 50 minutes with a 15minute cool off walk and hrm says 574 calories

Elliptical would be around 300 per 40 minutes
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I usually aim for at least 10 cal/min, but only hit that if I'm running. Pretty much any other exercise leaves me short. My HR is usually between 160 and 190 and I go 30-60 minutes. I've found the machines in the gym lie bigtime compared to a HRM.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I do HIIT every day, between 45 -60 mins, and normally burn between 540-870 on the HR

I have not been lifting in about a week, due to my weird new work schedule (making it hard to hit the gym, so been doing HIIT home)

When at the gym, I normally do 30 minutes of elliptical so around 405 calories. I try to keep my HR between 85-90%
  • Harm
    Harm Posts: 2
    Options
    Im not sure what type of heart rate monitors people are using but here is a little bout me. I train in boxing with a private coach@2 x a week@60min, my cardio consists of HIIT(high intensity interval training@25min variation of sprints 8.0 mph flat to incline sprints at 11.0 incline with 11.0 speed to finish with 15sec sprints and 1min rest. 2 x twice a week, olympic power circuits twice a week and ploy-metrics once week. Now at times my heart rate gets to 188 but thats where the rest comes into play to get me back around 145-150 before exploding again. I have had a few different heart monitor watches and they would tell me I burn 1100 calories per workout and made me feel like a champ, not until reality set in and I realized those cheap $100 and less hrm are so off and false, I recently purchased the polar ft80 for around $400 and now my calories burnt and heart rate all makes sense. im not sure how someone can train for 60min with there heart rate at 178 I dont know athletes that keep that pace. But I suggest spending the extra money to get a quality heart rate monitor to get accurate readings. I burn 603 calories on 40 min cardio session sprints/incline walk and cool down and about 508 during olympic circuit training i train twice a day on wed/fri and those 2 sessions together burn about 1000 calories im 6'1 228lbs, hope that helps.
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    I'm way less hardcore than the rest of you :)

I do 15-30mins cardio-interval training (and 5-10min warm up) plus strength. I burn between 200 and 350 cals on average according to the machine (not accurate I know,getting a HRM off Santa :)). I use the elliptical a lot as I prefer it to the treadmill. My heartrate gets high very quickly so it's not difficult (well apart from the feeling like dying!) to keep it up.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I usually do between 30-45 min cardio. Total burn is anywhere from 375-500 cals.

I always aim to burn at least 10 cals per minute, I usually burn more.

edited to add: I usually run on the treadmill or use the eliptical.

This is pretty much how my cardio goes.
  • rdberg1957
    rdberg1957 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I play tennis and racquetball 3x/week and use the elliptical 1-2x/week. It is way easier to keep achieve a good heart rate while playing sports than by using machines, just because it is so much damn fun to move my body. I play racquetball about 45 minutes and play tennis for an hour. My heart rate averages 120 playing tennis and 130 playing racquetball. I burn about 400-600 calories 4-5x/week.
  • GADavies
    GADavies Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    According to Runtastic with heart rate data from my HRM 734 calories in 35 minutes on this morning's 5km run.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i can't burn more than 500 an hour (well 250 in half hour. i cant keep up cardio for an hour)
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I used to burn a whole heck of a lot more.. but my heart rate doesn't get very high any more and it certainly doesn't stay high.

I do 60 minutes of cardio most mornings and if I'm on the elliptical at level 10 resistance and pushing 9-10mph I burn about 600-700 calories.

If I run 60 minutes at 10 minute miles, about the same. My heart rate hits about 155-165 or so and doesn't get much higher, except during crossfit WOD's but most of those are done in 4-15 minutes.
  • Hitsujikai
    Hitsujikai Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I'm currently burning 540-560 calories per 35 minute gym session on the treadmill. I have only just returned to the gym after a year out with a knee injury but I used to be doing double that before my accident.
  • DterMined2012
    DterMined2012 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I usually get on the elliptical or walk/jog for my cardio. I use a polar f7 heart rate monitor. My usual calorie burn for 30 minute sessions is about 300 on elliptical and my walk/jog is a tad more but I walk a few minutes longer (not much longer but the extra minutes makes the difference)

I HIGHLY recommend a heart rate monitor because the machines and MFP give a much higher calorie burn which is quite deceiving....for instance my elliptical shows 450 calories burned in 30 minutes as opposed to my heart rate monitor showing 300 calories burned
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Way to resurrect a dead thread!

I don't see how anyone can burn 1400 calories in an hour. My hubby burns max around 1000-1100 when he is racing mountain bikes, with his HR pegged in the 190s the entire time.

Granted he is a guy, and they burn more calories than girls do because of the higher muscle mass.

He also weighs around 160 and is 5'8"

Heart rate alone doesn't determine calories burned. Someone very overweight and out of shape will have a higher heart rate when they work out, but that doesn't mean that they are necessarily burning more calories than someone else who is lighter and in better cardio health, with more muscle mass.

I am a 50 yo female, 5'6" and 180. I can ride my bike for an hour, with an average HR in the 150s, and my HRM tell me that I burned 500 calories for that hour. However, if I were to eat an extra 500 calories, then I would not lose weight. I know from over a year's experience on here that I simply do not burn as many calories as my HRM says, and certainly not as many as MFP says I do, which is twice as much as my HRM says.
    For this reason, I never count more than 300-400 cals an hour, and don't eat more than half, if that many, back.

Many of the younger, more fit people, especially males, on here can get some great burns and must eat them back to not stall their loss, but you have to know your body and how it responds to exercise over time.
    Don't get all excited thinking that MFP tells you that you burned 1000 cals in an hour on the elliptical and now you can go have pizza and ice cream and eat them all back.
    Otherwise you will be starting a thread wondering why you are doing 'everything right', but not losing weight.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I usually get on the elliptical or walk/jog for my cardio. I use a polar f7 heart rate monitor. My usual calorie burn for 30 minute sessions is about 300 on elliptical and my walk/jog is a tad more but I walk a few minutes longer (not much longer but the extra minutes makes the difference)

I HIGHLY recommend a heart rate monitor because the machines and MFP give a much higher calorie burn which is quite deceiving....for instance my elliptical shows 450 calories burned in 30 minutes as opposed to my heart rate monitor showing 300 calories burned

Most definitely true! MFP shows twice as many calories as my Polar HRM shows.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I used to burn a whole heck of a lot more.. but my heart rate doesn't get very high any more and it certainly doesn't stay high.

I do 60 minutes of cardio most mornings and if I'm on the elliptical at level 10 resistance and pushing 9-10mph I burn about 600-700 calories.

If I run 60 minutes at 10 minute miles, about the same. My heart rate hits about 155-165 or so and doesn't get much higher, except during crossfit WOD's but most of those are done in 4-15 minutes.

Over 100 lbs lost?? Amazing progress!! And I see that you do not eat back all those calories burned. Congrats on your hard work and commitment. You certainly figured out what works for you.