Country or City?

Options
13»

Replies

• Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    City. I loved growing up and living near D.C. i'm glad my classrooms were filled with people of all colors and nationalities. i enjoyed all the things a city has to offer. sports, concerts, restaurants, museums etc..etc... i could never live in the country.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I always think I'd love to live in the city but the reality is I'm more of a country girl....but I love being close to the city for some rowdy weekends :)
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    City. I don't think I'd get the same amount of business I do living out in the country.
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I'm a country girl through and through, tho I've never really lived in a big city.... I get pretty bad anxiety (one reason I'm trying to be more active) and don't do well in crowds of people. I grew up on the water in a small little town that didn't even have a stop light lol, my husband grew up on a farm rite down the road from me so we are both big time country people. We used to do all kinds of stuff to keep busy, we were lucky because where we lived there were fishing lakes everywhere, great places to hike, great water sporting activities, I used to kayak a lot!
    That said, I would love to TRY to live in a BIG city some day. I grew up in WA state about 2.5 hours from Seattle and Love the IDEA of big city living but scared of it too.
    We are living on Oahu rite now (military) and hoping to move back to the Seattle area soon or maybe even go spend some time in NYC need to face those fears of big crowds!!!

But I've always found there is more to do out in the back woods than in the city, oh and did I mention that its FREE! LOL

Yay, Seattle is the place to do it! Beaches close by, lots of rec stuff for you two to do together... LOVE it here.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Im a country gal! I Love the country! Town isnt too far away. It is a small town with all the essentials. I love bon fires in the summer and winter, sledding on our hill that we live on is fun too. I hate big cities! Im just a small town gal!
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in the country. Live in city now and hate it.
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Grew up in a small farm town and LOVED it. Now I live in Baltimore... Can't say I hate it but I don't like it nearly as much. It's convenient being able to walk places but I miss space and fresh air!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    City. Or suburbs, if I really have the choice.

The question reminds me of something, though. When I was in high school (or middle school?) this kid paid me $5 to write his essay for him, and this was the topic.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I feel really lucky that I get the best of both. I live about 35 min north of NYC. My town is pretty rural with a couple of farms and wide open spaces. Still, I am close enough to the city that I can easily drive in.

I grew up in a city and really wanted my kids to have a real yard and plenty of nature and wildlife around. Mission accomplished.

M
  • FSHARDY
    Options
    Prefer the country, currently in West Plam Beach, Fl. I'd have to say I really hate the city, I was raised in Neveda and I was always able to run wild & do what ever I wanted. Learned to drive at the age of 12, no cars in the middle of the desert. The one thing I really loved was being able to go exploring out in the desert, found many ghost towns and caves to explore. I recall one time a group of us we're out screwing around and noticed what looked like a cluster of white boulders off in the distance (between 5-10 miles away) so we decided to find out what it was. As we got closer we noticed it was moving, so we started running to try and catch up to it. By the time we finaly got close enough to see what it was it started getting dark. Turns out it was a flock of sheep, let me tell you I've never felt so stupid. Although you really didn't ever see sheep running around the desert, you would come across other animals.

Florida, people complain "there's a gator in the pond behind my house. How dare it come by my home", even though it was here long before any of us. I'd love to live up in the mountains of NC by the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I hate the city!!
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    This question is too broad. How could Cheyenne, Wyo. be anything like Tokyo, Japan?

My rankings:

1. MY CITY Denver. Not living there currently, but an improving downtown and inner suburbs make this place home. I know what spots I like, and I know how to navigate things. Granted, the city isn't as walkable as I would like it, but give it 5 years. The diversity of the city is a bit lacking, and we'll see how things develop. Can't wait to move back home.

2. Mega Cities (10,000,000+): I lived a year in Seoul, and I love availability that a mega city brings. Authentic Indian food, followed by Italian desserts, then a night of drinking Western beers and ending up in Korean karaoke? Sign me the eff up!

3. Historical Cities: These cities know their role in society, and the fact they've been around for centuries means they have compact, walkable areas that pack in the history but also leave room for a grocery store. You may pay a bit more, but you get a lot out of it in the way of stores, bars and culture. My favorites in this category are Boston and Berlin.

4. Smaller Cities (500,000 or smaller): These cities are a bit of a hybrid. Big enough to have an identity, but too small to offer everything. However, what they offer, they offer well.

5. The "uninhabited" mountains: I'm from Colorado; need I say more?

6. The rural countryside. Not a fan. Broadly speaking, culturally, spiritually, and other "lys" mean this area and I will not get along.

7. The suburbs: Kill. Me. Now. Seriously, I cannot see their appeal. Rows of houses in HOAs, and you have to drive everywhere?! "Bedroom communities?" That's not a community; that's a TON of boring houses that people "live" in.
  • lwhitman4
    lwhitman4 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in the country. Live in city now and hate it.
    ^Jeff

Oh c'mon Glocky, that's not a "city". It's like the small-suburban-town's-big-brother, a second cousin to a city. :) OK well it's more populous than where I live, true. But dammit, we have a Wal-Mart and a Starbucks.

I've lived in 6 cities my whole life, anywhere from a country "town" of 800 in alligator country, to downtown Houston across from Minute Maid park. I'm currently enjoying being somewhere in the middle. I like the small-town feel of where I live but with the access of being close to everything.
  • trooper605
    trooper605 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Country...
  • Phoenix24601
    Phoenix24601 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    country. hands down
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I'm from the city but I go to school in the country. If I had to pick one, I would choose the city because it is so close to everything.

Pros of the country - I like the small town atmosphere a lot. I like going to the bar and actually knowing people, and going to a smaller school and recognizing people on campus. The bars in the country do not even compare to the bars in the city - they're so much more fun in a small town.

Cons of country- I just can't stand the lack of activities in the country. There is nothing to do and usually there is no competition, so the only bowling alley in town, only movie theater has no compeition and can charge whatever they want for their services. There is no decent shopping. The majority of the time I end up sitting on my couch watching TV. Driving to the gym is a chore.

Pros of the city - good shopping! close to everything - I can go to an NHL game, NFL game, or MLB game whenever I want and it's just a few minutes away. There is so much stuff to do in a short drive. Better job opportunities, better access to health care, etc. So many different restaurants to try, and there is nothing that beats a summer walk in the city. A short drive to some awesome lakes!

Cons of the city - no country bars lol, crowded, don't know people as well.

At my school, a lot of people are divided into country kids and city kids! Ideally when I'm older, I would live in the city and have a cabin in the country.
  • twocsmom
    twocsmom Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm a city girl with a country heart. I love the conveniences of living in the city-but I do treasure my 2-4 weeks out in the country every summer. So for me...a little of both!
  • BeagleHQ
    Options
    City! The bigger the better, too.