Does anyone regret having had Gastric Bypass?

Options

Replies

• psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I have not had bariatric surgery of any kind but have studied it extensively in psychiatry, including why people do it, what type of people do it, what psychiatric issues they have, and what the effects are after.

What I will say is one of the big reasons for doing it is because it is basically "forced" behavioral therapy. Obviously those who get the surgery have already had a hard time controlling how much they eat in the first place and this is a way to do it. The most common psychiatric issue that has been found in those with obesity is anxiety--some people when they get anxious, they eat. There are also a lot of self-esteem issues that come into play. You have to adjust into basically turning into a new person.

I think you are noting the "physical" side effects of the surgery, but I would consider the psychological changes to be important as well. If you think there is any problem with how you're handling it, most surgery centers have a psychologist working for them, or some sort of counselor. Going through something like this is very difficult. Also support groups can be helpful (kind of like this thread, but in person). Good luck to you!
  • mandygirl5
    Options
    Six years ago I had a duodenal switch (a form of weight loss surgery, different from gastric bypass) and have never regretted it for a moment! The recovery period wasn't fun, but I've never had fun recovering from any surgery I've had. The restriction of the DS helped me be able to lose weight, and the intestinal malabsorption helps my body metabolism function like a normal person. I eat a high-protein, low-carb diet, and take a lot of vitamins and mineral supplements. I will never be able to gain all my weight back (which is a scare for people with gastric bypass, one of the main reasons I chose DS), but I can, like a normal-never-been-obese-person, have weight fluctuations. I bounce within a 10-lb range, depending on if I overdo the sweets or carbs, but if I faithfully track my eating and weight here, then I keep at the lower end of that range.

So NO, I do not regret having had my DS. Prior to surgery I was a very old 30-year-old, with a host of weight-related medical issues and a not very bright future. The high-protein, low-carb diet did nothing for me then, nor did any of my other diet attempts, both alone and medically-supervised. I found success only once I had my DS, which helped me lose 150 lbs! Now I am a very young, HEALTHY, and active 36-year-old who is working on my doctorate, have moved up greatly in my career, has a ton of friends and a great life! I will never regret it for a minute!

Keep your head up, it WILL get better! Since you had gastric bypass, one of the most important things is to make sure you know and follow your "pouch" rules, as that will make or break your long-term success! Follow doctor's orders, don't forget to take all of your supplements, but most of all, ENJOY the ride down and all the new experiences that come with it! Hopefully your "buyers remorse" will subside soon as you heal and learn your new life. If you don't have other online support groups for weight loss surgery, try ObesityHelp.com. Good luck!
  • sskcrm
    sskcrm Posts: 9
    Options
    I haven't had gastric bypass, but my sister-in-law did and when I discussed having one with her, she advised against it. She said two of her friends had lapband and have not had the complications or long lasting effects. She has digestive problems if she eats a normal meal; things like nausea, gas etc. It's definitely not for everyone. I have just been too chicken to go through with it. I know many people that are successful with gastric bypass, but it is a big risk and evidently from reading your posts and from other there are big changes. Hang in there.
  • scubagirl319
    scubagirl319 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Skatermom,

You already know my statistics. For the record, I did not have the by pass, but had a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy where they remove 80% of the stomach. Did I regret it, yes for me the 1st 6 months my taste buds were screwy, things that I have always liked tasted bad, especially garlic which I use in everything. I had no energy till I learned to eat properly and take my vitamins. I was sad that I could not eat or drink the things I loved. Now at a year out, everything is back to normal, the only thing I regret now is that I didn't do this years earlier. I am a foodie and love to cook, grill and smoke. So now I just take those talents and make foods that are good for me. I have more energy that I know what to do with, I'm exercising, I participated in a Walk from Obesity walk this year and was the 2nd highest fundraiser for the Dallas area. I'm also training for a 10 mile run in Austin in April.

As for all of you naysayers, I was 454 pounds, Now 227. I have been big all my life, 95% of the people in my family are big, I had tried every diet know to man, Yes some of it is mental and you have to make the mental adjustments... BUT In weight loss surgery and normal dieting, both have high incidences of regain. Weight loss would not be the multi billion dollar industry it is if it were easy. . Do I think I took the easy way out, HELL NO, this is not easy. But for me it is working for the first time in my life. I will be one of the success stories, because I've also changed my outlook. Before I lived to eat, now I eat to live. I still enjoy good food, having an occasional glass of wine or tequila, but it is not everyday. maybe every couple of months.

So all you people who post on here with all the negatives about weight loss surgery, how about giving support, that is what this site is to be about, when people question tell them to do their homework, check out the various weight loss sites, talk to others who have had the surgery, talk to a counselor, DO NOT tell horror stories about your friends, mothers sisters husband. Death and complications are just as serious in someone who is morbidly obese without the surgery.

I'll be the first one to say surgery is not for everyone, but it can save your life.
  • scubagirl319
    Options
    I'm 8 months out today, and I would do it all over again. I had almost 200 pounds to lose and i have lost 140 of them. 47 to go. I felt like crap for 4 months but the weight was falling off so I was cool with it. I feel good now and can eat and actually get hungry again... but still fill up on almost nothing. I actually had the gastric sleeve.....
    And to answer the other persons question , its alot easier to diet when your not hungry and excersise when your knees can hold your weight. I have such an easier time walking and can even run some now

So very true, I had the sleeve too
  • skinnydreams165
    skinnydreams165 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you feel that way. My friend actually had gastric bypass early last year and she had a hard time with recovery. she suffered some depression and really just felt low b/c although the surgery is what she wanted, her addiction to food was not cured and she was unable to eat properly. She ended up getting some counseling and now she's feeling a lot better. she has lost a lot of weight, she looks great! she's now understanding that food no longer controls her and she is happy w/ her decison. just keep thinking positive and hang in there! in the end you will have some awesome results and you will look back and smile at how far you have come!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    So all you people who post on here with all the negatives about weight loss surgery, how about giving support, that is what this site is to be about, when people question tell them to do their homework, check out the various weight loss sites, talk to others who have had the surgery, talk to a counselor, DO NOT tell horror stories about your friends, mothers sisters husband. Death and complications are just as serious in someone who is morbidly obese without the surgery.

I think to a certain point I understand it. If someone posts a topic about opinions on getting it done, then yes I will give my opinion.

In a topic like this where the person has had it done and is asking questions? I agree with you. There's nothing to be gained by giving opinions on the surgery itself.

OP I hope it gets better for you and that you now have some good support from people on here who have been through the same/similar procedures.
  • scubagirl319
    Options
    Excellent response Skinnydreams. That is what this site is supposed to be about. Thank you!!
  • suzksell
    suzksell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I had my gastric bypass surgery 10 years ago, and I have never completely regretted it, though I do remember some pretty bad days. I've read most of the posts in this thread, and I am going back in my mind to the way that food started tasting different to me. The one poster is right...you probably are in ketosis. I used to brush my teeth constantly and drink as much water as I could to overcome that. It happens when you are not eating very many carbs. Eventually, food will begin to taste "normal" to you again...this I promise. The key is to figure out what you can tolerate, and how often your body needs food. In the beginning, I had to eat constantly--just tiny amounts. It was as though a bite or two would fill me up, but in an hour, I needed something else. Now, 10 years later, I eat 5 times per day...still in small amounts. I lost the 80% that the docs tell you that is normal from GB. Now I want to be healthier and lose a bit more. Make sure you're drinking enough, and be wary of those liquid diets that a lot of people tell post-GB patients to use. Physically, they can really screw up your system in ways most people can't imagine (like making your sphincter muscles tighten to the point where you can't swallow real food!). Get your protein in, and keep your mouth WET. This should help!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Unless someone is extremely obese to the point there's no hope for them to lose weight otherwise, I would suggest not doing it. I have not had a gastric bypass, but know people that were moderately overweight, had one, and always regretted the fact that they let themself be talked into it.

Besides all the problems with discomfort after eating, if you have a gastric bypass, you will always have trouble absorbing vitamins. Even you take all the supplements your doctor recommends, your digest system can only absorb part of it. This can cause your hair to fall out and thin, dental problems, and numerous other issues.
  • gabesnana
    gabesnana Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The malabsorption goes away and Many people like myself have the surgery for other health reasons.. Its the only known way to put your diabetes into remission.. So I will take a little malabsorption over Diabetes any day... My father passed away from Complications do to being diabetic at 57 years old.. I did not want to fallow in those footsteps... The 92 lbs lost was a plus too..
  • suzksell
    Options
    The malabsorption goes away

Not sure about this one. As I said, I am 10 years out from my surgery, and my doc and I still have to monitor my levels constantly. In 2008, I discovered that my body wasn't absorbing iron very well at all, and I had to have an emergency hysterectomy. Now I have found out that I have kidney stones caused by my body's inability to absorb the calcium I have been taking in supplement form. Remember that the malabsorption is caused by the removal of a length of your intestine--something that doesn't grow back. For the same reason that the shorter length of intestine allows your body to absorb fewer calories before you excrete your digested foods, it also prevents your body from absorbing all the nutrients in the foods and supplements you take in.
  • gabesnana
    gabesnana Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am going by what I was told by Dr's office and research I have done... That is why we have to be careful because we can gain our weight back do to the fact that after a year we start absorbing more.. It just frustrates me that people that haven't had the surgery think they know more then we do and a constantly bad mouthing the surgery and trying to make people feel bad about considering having the surgery I believe its a life saver and would do it again in a heart beat..
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have not have the bypass, but I actually do the psychiatric evaluations for the hospital I work for for those who are in the bariatric process. What we are trained to talk to bariatric candidates about it the risk for depression following the surgery. The NP who supervises us has told me that they don't know why people sometimes experience depression afterwards, but she speculates it has something to do with a combo of lifestyle change and physiological changes happening as your body adjusts.
    I would suggest talking to your doctor. Also, do they have you connected with any post-surgery support groups? Hang in there, if you follow your post-op instructions, it should be worth it!
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    Personally, I think that WAY too many weight loss surgeries are done in the United States. That type of surgery used to be reserved for the extremely obese, and now it is being advertised on radio and TV, just like all the fad diets.

Even though the WLS doctors say the risk of serious long term complications are low, that doesn't do much good for the people that suffer them. And from the number of people I know that have experienced significant long term complications from the various WLS, I would say the actual complication rate is much higher than what WLS doctors claim.

ALL the weight loss surgeries have major risks of complications. I would NEVER recommend anyone I know take that route unless they weighed 400 pounds or more and had tried every other approach under the sun to lose weight.
  • suzksell
    Options
    And from the number of people I know that have experienced significant long term complications from the various WLS, I would say the actual complication rate is much higher than what WLS doctors claim.

ALL the weight loss surgeries have major risks of complications. I would NEVER recommend anyone I know take that route unless they weighed 400 pounds or more and had tried every other approach under the sun to lose weight.

I would respond by asking if the complications from the surgery are worse than the complications from the obesity that preceded the surgery. While there was a time when insurance companies were approving WLS left and right, that has really slowed down. There are many post-WLS patients who, though our lives have changed drastically from the surgery (and we have experienced a range of complications), would not go back and undo it if we could.
  • jsuemiranda
    jsuemiranda Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have answered this question a lot. For me, I was prediabetic, high cholesterol, my blood pressure was creeping up, etc. I knew how to eat right, I'd lost weight on WW or Dr ordered programs, but was unable to keep it off. Exercise had become an impossibility due to back and joint pain. I am a food addict. I still go to counseling to help me deal with my food issues, but I needed the physical restriction to alter my behavior. Sometimes, I wish that I had tried harder to do it the "normal" way (by the way....what is the "normal" way and who gets to decide). But, I come from a family of addicts. If my brother could have a surgery that would help him overcome his addiction to drugs and alcohol, I would never say, "Oh, well, you should do it the "normal" way that you've been trying for 30 plus years without success." I would support his decision for surgery. Thankfully, my friends and family all support me. And yes, I do still have to diet and exercise. Gastric bypass was a tool. Not a cure. It is a personal choice though. It's not for everyone, and education is the key to success.
  • Health_Gal
    Options

I would respond by asking if the complications from the surgery are worse than the complications from the obesity that preceded the surgery. While there was a time when insurance companies were approving WLS left and right, that has really slowed down. There are many post-WLS patients who, though our lives have changed drastically from the surgery (and we have experienced a range of complications), would not go back and undo it if we could.

For those who do have long term complications from weight loss surgery, then yes the risk of complications from surgery is worse that the problems caused by being obese. And many people that experience long term complications would indeed love to go back in time and say NO to weight loss surgery.
  • puttingmyselfoutthere
    Options
    I am in the process of having gastric bypass within the next few months. I am not scared to die because I may stop breathing in my sleep one of these nights. I am not worried about complications because I am in pain most of the time anyway. I am not going to leave anyone behind because I cannot have children because of the PCOS. I may be able to start a family if I get my weight down. I HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE.. I want a family and I cannot wait.. I will risk my life to get it

I work out constantly.. I eat healthy.. but I cannot seem to lose this weight. I have been researching this surgery for over 2 years, take classes, have a support network, and I know what I am in for.... I won't regret it.
  • Health_Gal
    Options
    I really hope you can find a way to get your weight down that works for you before you have to go through surgery, because the long term complications for a gastric bypass can be horrible.

Have you tried working with a nutritionists that has a more holistic / alternative approach?