When did you feel comfortable in a bikini?

Options
I've never been comfortable in a bikini and that is my ultimate goal. I'm 5' 5' and when I started on here I weighed 160 and was in a size 12. Now I am 144 and am a size 6 and depending on the brand I can squeeze into a 4, I also wear a small in shirts. My first weight goal is 135, so I'm hoping that I feel comfortable in a a bikini by then, but right now I still feel very self consious and don't think I look good enough to wear a bikini in public. I know a lot of it is that I mentally still think that I am overweight, but how long did it take you to become comfortable in a bikini? Maybe this will motivate me even more :-)

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0 and I started at 170 and size 12.
    I'm down to 111ish and size 0.
    I STILL don't feel comfortable.

It's 100% in your head and I hope you're faster than me lol :)
  • hannahbellelechter
    Options
    The last time I was okay with walking around in a bikini with no one looking was at age 13. I'm 21 now.
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Before I gained weight, I felt comfortable in a bikini when my stomach was relatively flat. I wasn't thinking about it or trying to suck it in.
  • CBranson0503
    Options
    I am also 5'5" and went from 157 to 130. I also mostly wear a size 6, sometimes a 4. I wear medium shirts though. I just put on a swim suit last week for the first time in two years. I am going to Costa Rica next week and was trying to gauge how comfortable I felt in one. While, I didn't look at myself and think "Sports Illustrated", I was happy with how I looked. I was not totally disgusted and I thought, "Hey, I look pretty good." I bought a new Victoria's Secret bikini, and I must say, that it makes a huge difference over my Target suits. I think you are right thought it is all mental.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I've always been comfortable in a bikini. Now thongs, on the other hand...
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    When I was 200 lbs. I'm 5'4".

At 135 I won't even wear shorts outside.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I was comfortable until about 40 to wear one in public. The back patio till about 45. Am back to the back patio again now - skin is a bit too loose for public. LOL.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1, 98lbs, size 0 or 00 and would never, ever, let this body loose on the world in a bikini! People wouldn't want that...
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever felt comfortable in a bikini was when I was naturally a skinny little stick figure, back in high school and early college... I was 5' 5" and about 110-115 lbs. Currently I'm 137 and I would feel really uncomfortable in a bikini. I also tend to carry a lot of my weight in my gut, which adds to the problem.

I think it is all in my head though... because whenever I go to the beach, I see girls much bigger than me in bikinis, and they seem to be having a great time, and don't look self-conscious at all. I think it's mainly about confidence.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you feel about your body. I have scars on my back and sides, There is no way I'm getting in a bikini. If you feel you can do it, then rock that bikini and post pictures. Good job on all your hard work.
  • MrsNoir
    MrsNoir Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Never!! might do once I lose these latest pounds! :D
  • Thena81
    Thena81 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    when i wore a 5 to 7 in juniors
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    I am comfortable now, but I just prefer a one piece....seems classier! ; )
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have always worn bikinis or tanktinis. It's how I roll.
  • fit443
    fit443 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Until puberty...then, nope! Even though I was a healthy weight till my early 30's. After twins, the belly button has just never bounced back, and the stretch marks - can't do that to unsuspecting joe public!
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options

You're looking hot in this picture for sure!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Before having children I felt comfortable in a bikini at a UK 10. 10 stone. Now I am a UK 8 and 9 stone ish but am not especially happy due to my million and one stretch marks, and caesarian and appendix scars. Size has nothing to do with it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

You're looking hot in this picture for sure!

I like to look good! Thanks for noticing!
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Never, haha. I have never in my life worn a bikini. When I was a kid, I wore tankini's, one-pieces or those strange swim suits with the holes cut out on the sides. That was just because my parents thought it to be inappropriate for a young child to wear bikinis, haha.
    I'm just not comfortable exposing a lot of skin, so I'll never wear one. Sorry my reply was pointless, haha.
  • mvilla2426
    Options
    I've never worn a bikini, not even when I was skinny. I do wear a tankini though, but that is just because I do not like one-pieces.