Eliminating Everything White

Options
124»

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets
    J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877

While I am sure there are many studies out there showing one rice is better than another, or they're the same, or whatever, I just have to point out the incredibly small study here. Young men, on a low protein diet, and the group was composed of five individuals. Interesting information, I'm sure, but not a big enough study in order to extrapolate the results to the entire population.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I have seen this as a "good" tip a lot on here. Usually meaning getting rid of everything white such as: white bread, white rice, white pasta and things like that. Some even suggesting getting rid of white milk - cows milk.

Do you do this? Do you agree with this?

I personally do not.
    I have seen a study saying that white rice is actually better then brown rice.
    And I care a lot about taste. I am not going to eat cardboard tasting food xD
    I can get all my micros from other foods and a good multi

thoughts?

I liked the "no white" concept when I was first starting out -- it kept things simple until I trained myself to be more mindful about the different macro-nutrients out there. I occasionally have white rice, no big deal. I just try to stay within limits i have set for myself based on what works for me.

Everyone's mileage will vary.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Effects of brown rice on apparent digestibility and balance of nutrients in young men on low protein diets
    J Nutr Sci Vitaminol (Tokyo). 1987 Jun;33(3):207-18. .Miyoshi H, Okuda T, Okuda K, Koishi H.

The effect of brown rice with low protein intake was studied in five healthy young men.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2822877

While I am sure there are many studies out there showing one rice is better than another, or they're the same, or whatever, I just have to point out the incredibly small study here. Young men, on a low protein diet, and the group was composed of five individuals. Interesting information, I'm sure, but not a big enough study in order to extrapolate the results to the entire population.

you're correct it is a small study, but it should give pause to the absolutists that say brown rice is always better than white rice. Also i think the study has some relevance to the avg MFP person who is underconsuming protein and most likely has a negative nitrogen balance
  • FatassFairy
    FatassFairy Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    White rice is much tastier than brown. Jasime rice, is delicious.

in my opinion it is just the opposite brown rice is yummy white rice is tastless
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    To be honest, my weight loss is easier with whole grains and my digestive system works better. Whole grains are one of the best sources of fiber, and without that, I tend to have problems.

Do what works for you. If you don't find that whole grains are benefiting you, then don't bother.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    THIS!

I prefer whole grains as the fiber keeps me fuller. I actually avoid all rice as it spikes my blood sugar, sometimes by as much as 40-50 points. I've worked too hard to get a balance that keeps my blood sugars in the 88-95 range so I can come off all my diabetes medicine. My last blood work showed an A1C of 5.7 and if I can keep it below 6 I will no longer be considered diabetic.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Milk is supposed to be really good for you.. calcium for bones ec? I can't see why someone would exclude it unless they were allergic to it?

Except also because of taste preference. I think milk is disgusting.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Milk is supposed to be really good for you.. calcium for bones ec? I can't see why someone would exclude it unless they were allergic to it?

Because it's designed for baby cows? I do have milk, and cheese and eggs, but they gross me out if I think about it.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    I think it's a "quick" fix for people who don't know how to make smarter choices. I'ts easy, don't eat anything white.

I wouldn't recommend it. I do eat whole wheat bread and whole wheat pasta, but I'm fuller longer and end up with less calories at the end of the day.

Brown rice vs. white rice - no different, I'd eat white.

Milk--- um I need that :)

No white sugar - I try to stay away from it.. but I'd work on staying away from Brown too.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options

Because it's designed for baby cows? I do have milk, and cheese and eggs, but they gross me out if I think about it.
    Some people just don't like the taste, you know.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It's stupid. Personally, I do eat mostly whole grains. I like whole wheat bread more than white bread. I eat sourdough when I want it. As long as you're getting all of your fiber okay, I don't think it really matters.