How is this fair?

Options
13»

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    My city has a special deal for a select population signing up for the next half-marathon. The 21 first MOMMIES to sign up get free personal training leading up to the half at a really nice gym, they get free entrance fees, and a free breakfast and a free "special" T-shirt.
    There are no other "special" deals or fun things for any other demographic.
    I'm seriously considering applying and just pretending to have a kid. Gah!

i have seen promotions that involve all kinds of demographics, but it has never upset me. i don't fit into every category. sometimes my church has things just for "singles" should i get angry b/c i chose to get married and now i don't "qualify?"
    look for other races that will give you a free t-shirt w/o having to borrow someone's child. or find a way to start your own race, and give t-shirts to everyone who has no children.
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    I think I will suggest that they mirror what some cities do and set up a running group for first-timers to help train, for a small fee or even free (a girl can dream!)

Sounds like a plan ;)

I'm guessing your City didn't intend to be discriminatory as more help women who can easily become marginalised from broader society (mothers)

I guess I feel marginalised on a daily basis because I'm NOT a mother. France is very much all about the parents. It just felt like another blow to the ego. I really don't think mothers are marginalised much here at all! Which is a good thing for them and hopefully for me one day, but I do think sometimes it's not easy for those of us who have tried and failed to have kids, and frustrating for those who don't want them for whatever reason or are single and can't have them yet. Ideally, nobody would be marginalised at all!

On a positive note, I just e-mailed the website to ask if they were planning on starting some running groups for beginners or if there already are some that I didn't know about (I've looked, most look like they are for seasoned runners). Perhaps I'm wrong and there already is something, or if I'm right maybe they'll offer something.
  • perezke
    perezke Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your frustration. I could go into a lecture about how we live in a child-centered world (I am a historian who has actually taught classes about how the concept of childhood has changed historically). I am also a person who has chosen not to have children...which is very different than your plight. But, if the concept of childhood can change, why can't the concept of motherhood? I have not given birth, but I do play an active role in the lives of my nieces and nephews, I do "mother" my dogs, and I do guide my students. I consider myself a mother-like figure so I would sign up for it and argue my side. According to your profile, you have had children and lost them (I am sorry btw), so in my book....that qualified you. Heck, there are some people out there who are technically mothers who haven't been a mother ever. Claim it if you want to! Okay, I am done being philosophical.....