carbs!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• dlcam61
    dlcam61 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Per my doctor's advice, mix good carbs with lean protein. That means no white flour, high sugar foods. The boys on here with their chatter about after 8 are being ridiculous. I also study nutrition in college & have spoken to several trainers who too have actually studied nutrition and they all tell me the same thing. Earlier tends to be better for some carbs mainly because after not eating for several hours due to sleeping your glucose levels will be low, as your body has been metabolizing stored sugars (glucagen) at night to sustain your body's basic metabolic needs. What that means is people tend to have lower blood sugar in the morning (I'm hypoglycemic so it gets worse if I carb load before bed). If I eat more lean proteins later, such as for dinner, then blood sugar remains steadier & I don't crave heavy amounts of carbs the next day, which helps me stay under the carb budget.

So, if you are looking to trim your carbs down look for whole grains, they have a much lower impact on blood sugar. And as danniegeissler said, remove the carbs from later in the day. That way you can't go over your carb budget. But keep in mind dairy does have some carbs in it due to the lactose in it. That's just another word for sugar. Anything that ends in -ose is usually sugar. If all else fails, speak to a registered dietitian. They know more than any of the people here (unless they specifically state they have a degree or are in progress of getting a degree) and save the comments from jokers for pure comedic relief. Oh, and fruit isn't so bad when it's high in fiber.

I also found some links for you for food ideas:
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/menus/a/breakfastmenus.htm
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/breakfast1/Breakfasts.htm
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/70217-low-carb-breakfast-ideas/
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/great-recipes.asp?food=low+carb+breakfast
    http://www.diabetesdaily.com/simplycooking/2009/04/30/7-low-carb-breakfast-ideas/

Just did a quick Google search on low carb breakfast ideas. You can always change it to lunch, dinner etc. And Atkins has a huge database of recipes too. Hope that helps.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So, if you are looking to trim your carbs down look for whole grains, they have a much lower impact on blood sugar. And as danniegeissler said, remove the carbs from later in the day. That way you can't go over your carb budget. But keep in mind dairy does have some carbs in it due to the lactose in it. That's just another word for sugar. Anything that ends in -ose is usually sugar. If all else fails, speak to a registered dietitian. They know more than any of the people here (unless they specifically state they have a degree or are in progress of getting a degree) and save the comments from jokers for pure comedic relief. Oh, and fruit isn't so bad when it's high in fiber.

Ah so simply by having a degree or studying to get a degree in a subject, makes them an expert in said subject? People without a degree or less knowledgeable?

I'm sure in your current studies you are aware of this study that was recently done, correct?

Sofer et al. Greater weight loss and hormonal changes after 6 months diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2011 Oct;19(10):2006-14. doi: 10.1038/oby.2011.48. Epub 2011 Apr 7

PMID 21475137

This study was designed to investigate the effect of a low-calorie diet with carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner on anthropometric, hunger/satiety, biochemical, and inflammatory parameters. Hormonal secretions were also evaluated. Seventy-eight police officers (BMI >30) were randomly assigned to experimental (carbohydrates eaten mostly at dinner) or control weight loss diets for 6 months. On day 0, 7, 90, and 180 blood samples and hunger scores were collected every 4 h from 0800 to 2000 hours. Anthropometric measurements were collected throughout the studyGreater weight loss, abdominal circumference, and body fat mass reductions were observed in the experimental diet in comparison to controls. Hunger scores were lower and greater improvements in fasting glucose, average daily insulin concentrations, and homeostasis model assessment for insulin resistance (HOMA(IR)), T-cholesterol, low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol, C-reactive protein (CRP), tumor necrosis factor-α (TNF-α), and interleukin-6 (IL-6) levels were observed in comparison to controls

Also if we are to beleive that keeping glucose levels in check so to speak is beneficial to weight loss, we'd see an advantage to low GI diets, correct?

An 18-mo randomized trial of a low-glycemic-index diet and weight change in Brazilian women

http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/3/707.abstract

Conclusions: Long-term weight changes were not significantly different between the HGI and LGI diet groups; therefore, this study does not support a benefit of an LGI diet for weight control. Favorable changes in lipids confirmed previous results.

Reduced glycemic index and glycemic load diets do not increase the effects of energy restriction on weight loss and insulin sensitivity in obese men and women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16177201

In summary, lowering the glycemic load and glycemic index of weight reduction diets does not provide any added benefit to energy restriction in promoting weight loss in obese subjects.

Long-term effects of 2 energy-restricted diets differing in glycemic load on dietary adherence, body composition, and metabolism in CALERIE: a 1-y randomized controlled trial

http://www.ajcn.org/content/85/4/1023.abstract?ijkey=57903af923cb2fcdc065ffd37b00a32e22f4c5cf&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Conclusions:These findings provide more detailed evidence to suggest that diets differing substantially in glycemic load induce comparable long-term weight loss.

No effect of a diet with a reduced glycaemic index on satiety, energy intake and body weight in overweight and obese women.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17923862

CONCLUSION:

This study provides no evidence to support an effect of a reduced GI diet on satiety, energy intake or body weight in overweight/obese women. Claims that the GI of the diet per se may have specific effects on body weight may therefore be misleading.

but what do i know as i do not have a degree in nutrition
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    Options
    Per my doctor's advice, mix good carbs with lean protein. That means no white flour, high sugar foods. The boys on here with their chatter about after 8 are being ridiculous. I also study nutrition in college & have spoken to several trainers who too have actually studied nutrition and they all tell me the same thing. Earlier tends to be better for some carbs mainly because after not eating for several hours due to sleeping your glucose levels will be low, as your body has been metabolizing stored sugars (glucagen) at night to sustain your body's basic metabolic needs. What that means is people tend to have lower blood sugar in the morning (I'm hypoglycemic so it gets worse if I carb load before bed). If I eat more lean proteins later, such as for dinner, then blood sugar remains steadier & I don't crave heavy amounts of carbs the next day, which helps me stay under the carb budget.

Could you show the studies that would obviously back up all the experience you have considering you have an insight into nutrition where eating carbs early in the day shows a metabolic advantage for weight loss going forward, because that would have been the obvious reason for your suggestion to consume them in the pattern you recommend, right? Or a response to Acg67 question would be great.
  • colesproudmama
    colesproudmama Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am on a low carb diet I get 60g per main meal and 30g at each snack (3 different times throughout the day). This was a prescribed diet by a dietician. I have lost 62 lb since Valentine's Day. I like to eat english muffin with peanut butter, light yogurt, a homemade egg mcmuffin with ham and cheese. You can't go without carbs, but in minimal doses it works!
  • tidmutt
    tidmutt Posts: 317
    Options

I have to agree with others, this is an asinine statement. My sister is a dietician and I know the amount of study she did and I respect her expertise but to assume that everyone else is unable to have an informed opinion is idiotic. There are too many doctors and dieticians who are stuck in their dogma, don't keep up with the latest developments etc for me (or anyone) to just take their word as gospel. It drives me nuts when an "RD" starts claiming secret access to arcane knowledge when someone makes a good point supported by peer reviewed studies. Arguing based on ones credentials is a logical fallacy, the debate should be based on the merits of the argument not on the initials after the person's name.

More back on topic: Personally I find a high protein breakfast shuts down any cravings I have for carbs throughout the day. It's quite amazing how effective it is.
  • laurenrenee1025
    Options
    bump
  • HealthyAcademic
    HealthyAcademic Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If the OP is just trying to lower the overall amount of carbs (which I TOTALLY understand as a vegan... love me some carbs) then some of my breakfast suggestions include:

Don't eat breakfast foods ;o) (no seriously it's the easiest way and most filling for me)
    Tofu scramble with veggies
    Oatmeal with protein powder mied in (still has carbs but the protein makes it more filling so you need less carbs)
  • CashierCantin
    CashierCantin Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    When I did low carb, breakfast was totally not boring!!!

I would have ham roll ups (slices of ham, light smear of cream cheese and a pickle spear)
    Or Low carb yogurt (4 net carbs and 8 g protein..keeps me full til lunch...I still have this for breakfast)
    Ham rolled up with mozz cheese stick
    Deviled eggs
    Any protein leftover from the night before
    Atkins shakes
    Microwave sausage patties in a low carb tortilla

I loved anything that had a lot of fat in it to keep me full until the next meal.
    Just remember, when lowering carbs, don't substitute with low fat/fat free items as they add in sugar to make it have a good mouth feel and adding more carbs to the count.
  • furekurss
    Options
    ITT: ppl that dont know what they are talking about