The Hcg Diet...

Options
13»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Can you cite any reputable, non-sales sources to back this claim up?
    Yes. Pounds and Inches is by Dr. Simeons. I can't link a thing. But if you google it a PDF version comes up and you can read it. The whole diet is based on his research and his SUCCESS with resetting the metabolism of obese patients. I am not suggesting that there are not scams out there. But his research and results seem sound. And for everyone who is continuing to say that the weight loss is being cause by the VLC diet.....you are missing the part where people are able to do that without being HUNGRY. I am not saying people wouldn't lose weight on a VLC diet. Just that they would want to eat their own arm in the process.
    When stacking Dr. Simeons' recommendations against the oodles of recommendations by reputable doctor and scientists, I would conclude that Dr. Simeon's protocol is quackery. Any doctors prescribing this are misled, and have not done their homework, as studies have proven it to be quackery. Nobody has been able to replicate Dr. Simeon's results, which would lead one to believe that it was an anomaly, other factors were present, or it was fraudulent.

"We conclude that there is no scientific evidence that HCG causes weight-loss, a redistribution of fat, staves off hunger or induces a feeling of well-being. Therefore, the use of HCG should be regarded as an inappropriate therapy for weight reduction, particularly because HCG is obtained from the urine of pregnant women who donate their urine idealistically in the belief that it will be used to treat an entirely different condition, namely infertility."

- British Journal of Clinical Pharmacology (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1365103/)

"Numerous clinical trials have shown HCG to be ineffectual in producing weight loss. HCG injections can induce a slight increase in muscle mass in androgen-deficient males. The diet used in the Simeons method provides a lower protein intake than is advisable in view of current knowledge and practice. There are few medical literature reports favorable to the Simeons method; the overwhelming majority of medical reports are critical of it. Physicians employing either the HCG or the diet recommended by Simeons may expose themselves to criticism from other physicians, from insurers, or from government bodies."

- American Society of Bariatric Physicians (http://www.asbp.org/resources/uploads/files/HCG Position Statement.pdf)

In 1976, the FTC ordered the Simeon Management Corporation, Simeon Weight Clinics Foundation, Bariatrics Management Corporation, C.M. Norcal, Inc., and HCG Weight Clinics Foundation and their officers to stop claiming that their HCG-based programs were safe, effective, and/or approved by the FDA for weight-control. Although the order did not stop the clinics from using HCG, it required that patients who contract for the treatment be informed in writing that:

THESE WEIGHT REDUCTION TREATMENTS INCLUDE THE INJECTION OF HCG, A DRUG WHICH HAS NOT BEEN APPROVED BY THE FOOD AND DRUG ADMINISTRATION AS SAFE AND EFFECTIVE IN THE TREATMENT OF OBSITY OR WEIGHT CONTROL. THERE IS NO SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE THAT HCG INCEASES WEIGHT LOSS BEYOND THAT RESULTING FROM CALORIC RESTRICTION, THAT IT CAUSES A MORE ATTRACTIVE OR "NORMAL" DISTRIBUTION OF FAT, OR THAT IT DECREASES THE HUNGER AND DISCOMFORT ASSOCIATED WITH CALORIE-RESTRICTIVE DIETS (Federal Trade Commission Decisions. Complaint in the matter of Simeon Management Corporation et al. Order, opinion etc., in regard to alleged violation of Secs. 5 and 12 of the Federal Trade Commission Act. Docket 8996. Complaint, Oct 15, 1974. Final Order April 29, 1976.).

Since 1975, the FDA has required labeling and advertising of HCG to state:

HCG has not been demonstrated to be effective adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. There is no substantial evidence that it increases weight loss beyond that resulting from caloric restriction, that it causes a more attractive or "normal" distribution of fat, or that it decreases the hunger and discomfort associated with calorie-restricted diets.

A very nice summary. I hope you saved it and post it regularly. What really enrages me about this particular scam is that the definitive research and consensus scientific statements disproving it were done OVER 30 YEARS AGO. In the fitness/weight loss areas, the research doesn't get much more clear cut than that against HCG. Yet, like a particularly mutated zombie, it refuses to die. It just shows the pernicious effects of both deceptive marketing and denial.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    A very nice summary. I hope you saved it and post it regularly.
    Thanks. That and a lot of other mythbusting can be found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/457-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options

Someone who did the diet said they were not hungry on 500 calories a day. On a VLC diet without the drops that doesn't happen. You'd be starving. The reason you aren't hungry is because it's burning fat stores. Rather than your muscle. Which is what the hormone does when you are pregnant. Which is why you can not keep anything down for 3 months and NOT feel hungry. While you are sometimes losing weight! And that the cells multiplying at such a rapid rate causes MOST pregnant women to be exhausted the first trimester. Regardless of whether or not they have morning sickness. So I'd argue that takes a great deal of energy.
    And people doing MFP who journal are losing 2lbs a week. People on the HCG Diet lose .5 lbs to a 1 lb a day. And whether or not you keep it off depends on how well you do on the phases AFTER the VLC phase. The phase 3 is much like the The South beach diet. And actually The VLC phase is much like that plan as well. It's getting rid of your cravings for Sugar, starch and white carbs. If you come out of the VLC phase and start eating cookies and French Fries yeah, you are going to gain it all back. But I would argue that MOST people need to really limit their refined sugar and carb intake in general. And I think that the journaling is great. All the time. But I also understand wanting to lose more than 4-8lbs a month.

I can tell you for a fact, that you burn muscle and fat. In fact, I posted two links both of which have people posting their results and the math showing them they lost muscle. If you don't believe it, you are only fooling yourself into think you aren't losing muscle. Also, muscle lost means a slower metabolism. 500 calories also leads to malnutrition and can lead to hormonal issues (reproductive, kidney, other organ, etc.....). If you do the research outside of Dr. Simeons, you can see this.

BTW, if you want a diet that works, below are two good example of the eat more lose more. And if you don't mind actually working or your weight loss, look into p90x, insanity, turbo fire, etc... they all work and best of all, muscle loss is minimal or zero.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395881-people-who-lost-weight-eating-more

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395948-caloric-intake-results
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    The HCG in their system is what allows them to Puke everyday for the first trimester and still grow a healthy baby. It triggers the burning of fat stores when a pregnant woman can't keep any food down due to morning sickness.
    And of course there is Peer Reviewed Clinical evidence to support this? Really?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Someone who did the diet said they were not hungry on 500 calories a day. On a VLC diet without the drops that doesn't happen. You'd be starving. The reason you aren't hungry is because it's burning fat stores. Rather than your muscle. Which is what the hormone does when you are pregnant. Which is why you can not keep anything down for 3 months and NOT feel hungry. While you are sometimes losing weight! And that the cells multiplying at such a rapid rate causes MOST pregnant women to be exhausted the first trimester. Regardless of whether or not they have morning sickness. So I'd argue that takes a great deal of energy.
    And people doing MFP who journal are losing 2lbs a week. People on the HCG Diet lose .5 lbs to a 1 lb a day. And whether or not you keep it off depends on how well you do on the phases AFTER the VLC phase. The phase 3 is much like the The South beach diet. And actually The VLC phase is much like that plan as well. It's getting rid of your cravings for Sugar, starch and white carbs. If you come out of the VLC phase and start eating cookies and French Fries yeah, you are going to gain it all back. But I would argue that MOST people need to really limit their refined sugar and carb intake in general. And I think that the journaling is great. All the time. But I also understand wanting to lose more than 4-8lbs a month.
    Again where is the scientific peer reviewed study to back up what you've posted? This is anecdotal if you have nothing to peer reviewed to back up the statements.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Yes. Pounds and Inches is by Dr. Simeons. I can't link a thing. But if you google it a PDF version comes up and you can read it. The whole diet is based on his research and his SUCCESS with resetting the metabolism of obese patients. I am not suggesting that there are not scams out there. But his research and results seem sound. And for everyone who is continuing to say that the weight loss is being cause by the VLC diet.....you are missing the part where people are able to do that without being HUNGRY. I am not saying people wouldn't lose weight on a VLC diet. Just that they would want to eat their own arm in the process.
    Dr. Simeons is HIS research. A peer reviewed study is done by an organization UNRELATED to bias. Try again.

IDEA Fitness member
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    So why exactly would you rather do this than exercise and eat a little less? Because it's easier? Because its faster?
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm very curious to know if anyone has ever taken HCG but NOT followed the 500 cal diet. If HCG works then shouldn't you be able to follow a healthy calorie diet of 1200 - 1500, take HCG, and see results?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I'm very curious to know if anyone has ever taken HCG but NOT followed the 500 cal diet. If HCG works then shouldn't you be able to follow a healthy calorie diet of 1200 - 1500, take HCG, and see results?

I'm not sure why anyone would want to. You can lose weight just fine eating a healthy caloric deficit without wasting money on substances which have been scientifically proven not to do what they claim.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Check out my previous posts, citing evidence that HCG has no effect on weight loss or fat consumption.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    The reason you aren't hungry is because it's burning fat stores. Rather than your muscle. Which is what the hormone does when you are pregnant. Which is why you can not keep anything down for 3 months and NOT feel hungry. While you are sometimes losing weight! And that the cells multiplying at such a rapid rate causes MOST pregnant women to be exhausted the first trimester.
    Can you cite any reputable, non-sales sources to back this claim up?
    Yes. Pounds and Inches is by Dr. Simeons. I can't link a thing. But if you google it a PDF version comes up and you can read it. The whole diet is based on his research and his SUCCESS with resetting the metabolism of obese patients. I am not suggesting that there are not scams out there. But his research and results seem sound. And for everyone who is continuing to say that the weight loss being cause by the VLC diet.....you are missing the part where people are able to do that without being HUNGRY. I am not saying people wouldn't lose weight on a VLC diet. Just that they would want to eat their own arm in the process.

This Dr. Someone? http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

'Pounds and Inches' is a diet book, not a 'reputable non-sales source'.
  • jhook11
    Options
    Well my thinking is this...my mom is doing HCG, and I'm doing Weight Watchers and MFP along with exercise (P90x). The first 6 weeks while my mom did HCG she lost 20ish lbs. Those same 6 weeks for my I was only down 5.5 lbs. But now that shes moved on to the 2nd 6 weeks, she has to maintain and not lose anything. I on the other hand have still continued to lose and i've lost another 15lbs. So we've both lost about 20lbs, and I've been able to enjoy all my food, and not deny myself anything if it fit in my diet. On top of that I've lost 2 pants sizes while my mom just 1. I just don't see the point if in the end you are still losing at about the same rate.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Well my thinking is this...my mom is doing HCG, and I'm doing Weight Watchers and MFP along with exercise (P90x). The first 6 weeks while my mom did HCG she lost 20ish lbs. Those same 6 weeks for my I was only down 5.5 lbs. But now that shes moved on to the 2nd 6 weeks, she has to maintain and not lose anything. I on the other hand have still continued to lose and i've lost another 15lbs. So we've both lost about 20lbs, and I've been able to enjoy all my food, and not deny myself anything if it fit in my diet. On top of that I've lost 2 pants sizes while my mom just 1. I just don't see the point if in the end you are still losing at about the same rate.
    Sadly, some differences include:

1) Weight lost via a Very Low Calorie Diet is more likely to be gained back later. (http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/low_calorie.htm)

2) Weight lost via Very Low Calorie Diet is likely a result in loss of protein from vital organs. (http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hi all... I have been looking into the Hcg drops for some time now and I know there's a lot of negative feedback on them but really what harm can it do??.. If it doesn't work at least I know I tried..

Harm? How about your wallet for starters. And your self-esteem, knowing you are gullible enough to throw your money away on a known scam.

Why would you want to "try" something that was definitively proven to be a fraud 35 years ago? Do you not believe the research?
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    That HCG plan is a total scam!

It has made friends of mine ill when they were trying to live on only 500 calories a day. They were hungry and moody and barely had enough energy to make it through the day. They lost some weight, but looked like a deflated balloon. Then the weight came back once they finished and started eating in a normal healthy calorie range. And they were eating good food and exercising too. But the extremely low calorie HCG protocol messed up their metabolism to the point they have to exercise even more than they did before they tried the HCG diet to lose anything now.

The only reason people lose weight on the HGC diet is they are only eating 500 calories a day . HCG is nothing but a placebo and it is sad that these snake oil salesmen have convinced so many people to put their trust in it. A placebo can be ok if the diet plan is not overly restrictive, but eating only 500 calories a day can really put your health at risk.

I know some so-called doctors push the HCG diet, but that doesn't change the fact that there is absolutely NO scientific evidence that HCG does anything for weight loss, or that taking HCG in any form will make it safe to eat only 500 calories a day.

I wish the FDA would take some action on this dangerous diet scam and get ALL the HCG diet stuff off the market and close down all the so-called medical weight loss clinics that push it. It's not right for people to make money running scams that can damage people's health!

Here are a some good links about the HCG diet that you might want to read before you get any farther into this:

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/hcg-diet-dangerous-1428

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

http://www.tucsonmedical.com/pages/hcg.php
  • venoch1
    Options
    Rachel, maybe HCG didn't work for your friend, but it worked for me. This is my second time taking HcG. I lost 34 lbs the first time taking it and took a 1 month break from it after phase 3. I followed all directions and never cheated and I was able to keep the weight off. I am on it a second time and have already lost 9 lbs after 1 week. Me and my girlfriend did it together. We were both satisfied and did it a second time. 44 lbs lost and counting on HCG.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Rachel, maybe HCG didn't work for your friend, but it worked for me. This is my second time taking HcG. I lost 34 lbs the first time taking it and took a 1 month break from it after phase 3. I followed all directions and never cheated and I was able to keep the weight off. I am on it a second time and have already lost 9 lbs after 1 week. Me and my girlfriend did it together. We were both satisfied and did it a second time. 44 lbs lost and counting on HCG.

I am glad it worked for you. I would suggest tracking your bod fat while you do it. By doing that, you can see the direct impact on your muscle loss and your decreased metabolism.
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Venoch1, while no one is disputing the fact that it is possible to loose weight quickly with HCG or other starvation diet plans, it is NOT safe of sustainable. Did you read the links I posted about all the scientific studies that concluded HCG does nothing to help with weight loss? It's just a placebo.

Most placebos are harmless, but it is not harmless to eat at 500 calories a day starvation level for weeks because your are putting your faith in a placebo that does not accomplish any ot the things that it' is advertised to do. HCG does not prevent muscle loss, reset your metabolism, or do anything else the snake oil salesmen that push it claim. It's all a cruel hoax.

Eating so little food for an extended period has wrecked many people's metabolism and made weight more difficult to lose than ever. A month is not nearly long enough to find out if your weight is going to come back. One friend that did the HCG diet last spring kept their weight off all summer. Then it started coming back on with a vengeance. Now he is heavier than ever, and cannot wear any of the nice clothes he bought after doing the diet, and is having to buy a new wardrobe because he believed in the HCG theory and thought it was safe to throw away all his "fat clothes." And he was eating healthy and exercising after he finished the diet.

I hope that you and your friend get off that starvation diet plan before you suffer the ill effects that eating at such a low calorie level for several weeks has caused many other people that attempted it.

Quick weight loss on starvation diets is never worth risking your health.