SPLENDA.... and other artificial sweeteners Im sure

Options
Ok boys and girls... I finally found something here that backs up my dislike of synthetics... especially synthetic sweeteners. Even those that are advertised as "made from sugar" (splenda). I am constantly seeing people on here adding splenda (specifically) to their "healthy" foods and in my opinion this is counteractive to what we're doing here. Please take the time to read this article. Haters can hate, and disbelievers and be full of disbelief... but you cant deny the facts.

http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_16815.cfm

Replies

• MattySparky
    Options
    Ok boys and girls... I finally found something here that backs up my dislike of synthetics... especially synthetic sweeteners. Even those that are advertised as "made from sugar" (splenda). I am constantly seeing people on here adding splenda (specifically) to their "healthy" foods and in my opinion this is counteractive to what we're doing here. Please take the time to read this article. Haters can hate, and disbelievers and be full of disbelief... but you cant deny the facts.

• Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I don't like any of them. Changing the chemical structure of sugar cannot be a healthy thing. They even taste funky. Stay away folks. Especially ASPARTAME.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    One teaspoon of REAL sugar (white, brown, turbinado, raw, etc) is around 16 calories!
    :tongue:

I have it once a day, in a cup of delicious organic coffee, with real cream (I know - I was off dairy, but it's soooo good in coffee), and the whole delicious beverage is less than 50 calories.
    :flowerforyou:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I am not going to argue with you BUT,,,what I have learned is that these studies are based on amounts that would kill a herd of pygmie ponies and NOT talking about the occasional packet in your coffee or oatmeal....I use splenda on occasion and it is a packet or two I can deal with..I would suggest people stay away but in my opinion the occasional use is better than table sugar and these studies should come clean about the huge levels it takes to get their results...you could probably eat too much brocoli if you tried
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I use themand I have asked my son's dietician about it and to let me know if every her feelings change about it. Also consulted a few other doctors about this,so far none have said keep away. But I do believe if I asked someone who was really into organic eating that they would say keep away from them. It is just a matter of opinion. I could find many many articles on the world wide web that say they are just fine, but really what is the point in posting them. I appreciate your view, but I have yet to be convinced by the medical profession that they are really a bad choice. Dave198 makes a good point also. Thanks, peace.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    I am not going to argue with you BUT,,,what I have learned is that these studies are based on amounts that would kill a herd of pygmie ponies and NOT talking about the occasional packet in your coffee or oatmeal....I use splenda on occasion and it is a packet or two I can deal with..I would suggest people stay away but in my opinion the occasional use is better than table sugar and these studies should come clean about the huge levels it takes to get their results...you could probably eat too much brocoli if you tried

exactly... the article touches on this as well about small amounts not having long term effects for small doses, however I dont agree that a synthetic is better than natural sugar. How could it be? Our bodies are not made to break down synthetics like we do naturally occuring substances.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    I use themand I have asked my son's dietician about it and to let me know if every her feelings change about it. Also consulted a few other doctors about this,so far none have said keep away. But I do believe if I asked someone who was really into organic eating that they would say keep away from them. It is just a matter of opinion. I could find many many articles on the world wide web that say they are just fine, but really what is the point in posting them. I appreciate your view, but I have yet to be convinced by the medical profession that they are really a bad choice. Dave198 makes a good point also. Thanks, peace.

hey to each is own Im not trying to change anyones opinion, I just found the article interesting enough to post it... that was my point. I figure there is enough whining and griping going on in this forum that a little educated discussion about synthetic sweeteners would be a nice change.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    There is anecdotal evidence that aspartame (in diet coke for example) causes joint problems in young people, and it just gets me thinking about my knee trouble and past love affair with Diet Coke....

They say Splenda causes dementia.....

Who knows... everything has a cost/benefit - if the Splenda keeps your diet on track, and improves your quality of life, imho, go for it.
    :flowerforyou:
  • phed0017
    phed0017 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Look up Sweet Misery on Youtube and watch the trailer and other portions. ALL artificial sweetners Are dangerous!!!! Especially the newer ones. You'd be better off eating Sweet N' Low than Nutra Sweet Or Splenda.....just awful creations. I've attended lectures at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN and heard the horrors of Splenda and Aspartame. I have a personal testimony....Just Don't Do It!!!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Thanks for taking time to post the article Matty:happy:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Splenda was administered by oral gavage at 100, 300, 500, or 1000 mg/kg to male Sprague-Dawley rats for 12-wk, during which fecal samples were collected weekly for bacterial analysis and measurement of fecal pH.

So...who here is eating a GRAM OF SPLENDA PER KG OF BODYWEIGHT?

I would have to eat 60 grams of Splenda every day for 3 months. That's about 1/4 of a cup of Splenda every day for me at 130 lbs.

If they had only used the FDA recommended amount for the duration of the 24 week experiment, it would've been well-controlled. But, as is the case with many of these studies, they use unrealistically high amounts of these substances on non-human subjects. There are plenty of substances that are harmless to humans and harmful to rats, like onions and citrus fruits. The website goes on to extrapolate that it could interfere with AIDS medicine absorption, although the study does not state that correlation.

I'm not saying that it's acceptable to use any artificial sweetener in excess, but it's really not good to eat anything in excess, whether it's brocolli, chocolate, or Splenda.
  • phed0017
    phed0017 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Okay you go ahead then.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Okay you go ahead then.

I don't want to eat 1/4 of a cup of Splenda every day. I can't even think of that much stuff to put it in. My point is that you have to eat excessive amounts of it to emulate the methodology of the study. The problem with these studies is that most people aren't exposed to scientific journals so they all look credible. There's plenty of poorly done research out there.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I know splenda is not recommended for diabetics. It would be nice to know how much splenda the average person uses. Between diet soft drinks yogurt and other diet foods people ingest on a daily basis I wonder does it add up to 1/4 cup?
    Splenda was administered by oral gavage at 100, 300, 500, or 1000 mg/kg to male Sprague-Dawley rats for 12-wk, during which fecal samples were collected weekly for bacterial analysis and measurement of fecal pH.

I would have to eat 60 grams of Splenda every day for 3 months. That's about 1/4 of a cup of Splenda every day for me at 130 lbs.

If they had only used the FDA recommended amount for the duration of the 24 week experiment, it would've been well-controlled. But, as is the case with many of these studies, they use unrealistically high amounts of these substances on non-human subjects. There are plenty of substances that are harmless to humans and harmful to rats, like onions and citrus fruits. The website goes on to extrapolate that it could interfere with AIDS medicine absorption, although the study does not state that correlation.

I'm not saying that it's acceptable to use any artificial sweetener in excess, but it's really not good to eat anything in excess, whether it's brocolli, chocolate, or Splenda.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Which is why moderation is important. I don't use Splenda every day, and when I do use it, it's a tbsp. in my morning coffee. And this still doesn't solve the problem of non-human consumption. If we based all things on animal studies, aspirin, oranges, and chocolate would all be deadly.
    I know splenda is not recommended for diabetics. It would be nice to know how much splenda the average person uses. Between diet soft drinks yogurt and other diet foods people ingest on a daily basis I wonder does it add up to 1/4 cup?

• AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I can only go on experience. Splenda gives me UTI's with as little as 2 packets a day. Or one diet Coke with Splenda. Nutrasweet gives me a massive migraine with as little as a breathmint. Sweet-N-Low causes my teeth to decay more and causes me to have acid reflux if ingested in the evening or later, and triggers sugar and snacking cravings. On the other hand sugar makes me fat and it causes me to have hypoglycemic episodes with very little. So I have changed to Xylitol or Stevia. Xylitol has healed my unhealthy teeth and gums, never makes me have a hypoglycemic episode, and I have been losing weight since I switched to it. It is not metabolized with insulin so is great for diabetics and hypoglycemics. It is a little pricey but I do not sweeten many things so it works for me. Stevia I would use more but I think it has a funny taste in my coffee which is the main thing I sweeten, but it is okay in tea.

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • MattySparky
    Options
    Okay you go ahead then.

I don't want to eat 1/4 of a cup of Splenda every day. I can't even think of that much stuff to put it in. My point is that you have to eat excessive amounts of it to emulate the methodology of the study. The problem with these studies is that most people aren't exposed to scientific journals so they all look credible. There's plenty of poorly done research out there.

there sure is... however you cannot dispute the fact that the human body is not made to break down or function properly on synthetics, plain and simple.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I can only go on experience. Splenda gives me UTI's with as little as 2 packets a day. Or one diet Coke with Splenda. Nutrasweet gives me a massive migraine with as little as a breathmint. Sweet-N-Low causes my teeth to decay more and causes me to have acid reflux if ingested in the evening or later, and triggers sugar and snacking cravings. On the other hand sugar makes me fat and it causes me to have hypoglycemic episodes with very little. So I have changed to Xylitol or Stevia. Xylitol has healed my unhealthy teeth and gums, never makes me have a hypoglycemic episode, and I have been losing weight since I switched to it. It is not metabolized with insulin so is great for diabetics and hypoglycemics. It is a little pricey but I do not sweeten many things so it works for me. Stevia I would use more but I think it has a funny taste in my coffee which is the main thing I sweeten, but it is okay in tea.

Amy:bigsmile:
    118984.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

My favorite post for answers:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
    Xylitol is great, dentist love what it does for teeth.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Okay you go ahead then.

there sure is... however you cannot dispute the fact that the human body is not made to break down or function properly on synthetics, plain and simple.

That's true but we eat a LOT of synthetic things everyday (unless you'll eating clean, and I mean completely clean) produce and pesticides, meats and hormones, canned/frozen and prepackaged foods and preservatives. It's all got those synthetic substances in it. I personally don't use artificial sweeteners, but I do drink diet pop once a week. That tiny amount of sweetener really doesn't worry me in the least.
  • cbarrett121
    Options
    I am in a program that is at the Cleveland Clinic, one of the country's best hospitals. The nutritionist has told our group that moderation is the key and that these sweetners are ok in small amounts. A better subsitiue is an all natural product called aguave nectar. We are learning how to use this as a replacement to sugar. It is sweeter than sugar and has one of the lowest glycemic indexes. :heart: It can be found in some grocery stores and health food stores.