What do you tell yourself to finish your workout?

Options

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    "Just finish your workout."
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I pretend I'm the star and everyone is watching and rooting for me, so there's NO WAY I can let them down... I must shine on :bigsmile: (and yes I'm totally serious, this is what I do when I feel like cutting a workout short.. particularly if I get super tired when I'm running, I just pretend I'm running a marathon and everyone is cheering for me)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I go up to the next round or interesting number - 30 minutes, 333 calories etc. so I can easily remember it!
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I convince my self that I CAN, in fact, do this!

Sometimes I tell myself "It's only X minutes" (like if I am running)

I tell myself Not to give up, and to push on through.
  • Angel87a
    Angel87a Posts: 113
    Options
    Push it- you're that much closer to eating dinner haha. Usually a good song makes me push through.
  • Kris10can
    Options
    It's your time to shine! ...and then I usually listen to a cheezy fast beat 80s song to get me going longer, faster and stronger!
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    I have a built-in refusal to quit. IMSH (ha ha, I totally just made that up) In My Stupid Head I will just flat out refuse to quit and I will beat the dreadmill into submission.
  • donnacowboysfan
    Options
    I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has to coach myself to finish! I usually try to go a little longer or burn a few more calories than I did the day before. It makes me feel good to know I've completed a new mini goal everyday...and it really does get easier!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    "Everyone on MFP will laugh at that number. Keep going."
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    "Finish workout...then Dunkins."
  • sarscott
    sarscott Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I repeat "Find your strong- you got this" for 75 minutes straight....pretty sure the people around me think I'm crazy.
  • Demwitted
    Options
    You need some really good workout music. It depends what music you like, but my favorites are:

Can't keep Johnny Down by They Might Be Giants
    Beautiful, Dirty, Rich by Gaga (and nearly everything else by Gaga.. her songs have a great beat)
    Hell Yes by Beck
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    I tell myself to work hard and finish now so I won't have to do it later. I can take a day off if I just finish it now.

That's what I do too. I'll just cover up the time on the machine or not look at my watch or whatever I'm doing and just daydream. Sometimes it even makes me go over because they world doesn't seem really there. When I can't do that, though, I tell myselfl "Do you SERIOUSLY want to have to do this all over again because you shrugged off the last 5 minutes? Tomorrow it'll be 10, then 15, then you may as well just go back to being fat."

LOL - I like this one.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options

This is VERY good.
  • bhall33
    bhall33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm the complete opposite, I have to convince myself to leave.

The hardest part is convincing myself to go to the gym in the first place. When I am actually there I tend to enjoy it.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Don't be an *kitten*. That's what I tell myself if I start having those maybe-I-should-cut-this-short thoughts.

I routinely tell myself not to be such a wuss.

Also, I run outside, so I always have to get back to my house, it's faster to run back than it is to walk back.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Usually the problem doesn't exist for me, because I want to get home. If I quit the workout before I finish, I won't get home. Ever.

But in the gym yes. I usually PIN IT for the last 15 minutes. Try and see how hard I can push myself. Die trying. Right then, right there. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.
  • chatdude
    Options
    "good job. you've earned a burger now"
  • Vermilla
    Vermilla Posts: 348
    Options
    "good job. you've earned a burger now"

On the other hand, if you didn't eat the burger, maybe you wouldn't need those extra five minutes! :laugh:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    "I can do ANYTHING for ____ minutes" filling in the blank with the number of minutes. Works every time because it's true!

This^^^

Another thing that works is referring to my food log. Mon-Fri, I try to pre-log my days as much as possible so I know about how many calories I need to burn to come out even (or as close to goal as possible). So I can look at my HRM and see I'm close and push myself for that 10 or 20 minutes longer. On the weekends, I don't log on here but keep a running total in my head - for instance - breakfast was 400, lunch and snack are 600, dinner's going to be 800 so I need to burn at least 400 to come out even.