What do you tell yourself to finish your workout?

Options

Replies

• dropofhope
    Options
    I have a built-in refusal to quit. IMSH (ha ha, I totally just made that up) In My Stupid Head I will just flat out refuse to quit and I will beat the dreadmill into submission.

IMSH...I LOVE that! IMSH I pretend I'm training for the Olympics or I'm in a music video (Zumba) or Dancing With The Stars. During Hot Hula Fitness I actually pretend I'm preforming in a Luau...I have a very active imagination and I'm IMSH a lot!!!
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. You've been lazy long enough. If you can work this hard with food, you can work this hard on a machine. Pain is powerful. Push.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    For me i put on a 'power' song.... you know the song that for you no matter what gets you moving.
    I put it on and challenge myself to keep moving till the track is done.
    Sometimes that pushes me to go longer too!
    "I can do ANYTHING for ____ minutes" filling in the blank with the number of minutes. Works every time because it's true!

^^ these work for me most times - just one more song then im done, or ive done XX mins surely i can manage another XX etc. occasionally nothing can motivate me and these times i just go home and come back ready to kick *kitten* the next day!
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    I did my first real day of Insanity today, and I wanted to quit before I finished even half of it. The only thing that kept me going was knowing how embarrassing it would be to log half a workout on here! :ohwell: Also, I really want to finish this program, I don't want to be a quitter again!
  • kellyss20
    kellyss20 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Pain is temporary, pride is forever.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I think about earning enough calories to eat a cupcake! :-)

(Although... to be honest, I really love to exercise. Unless I'm ill or exhausted for some strange reason, I typically really look forward to my workouts)
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that if I do it today, I won't have to do it tomorrow. The truth is that the work isn't going to do itself... to lose the weight, we have to do it now... or later.

I also rely on my playlist to motivate me. I've chosen specific songs near the end that are very motivating.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I tell myself to take a few really deep breaths while I keep going. This gives me energy to complete the workout.
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    In an hour from now I'll be relaxing at home and feeling great knowing I got a solid workout in.

I also picture myself in some cute, fun summer clothes with nice, toned arms and think about the warmer weather and how I do NOT want this extra blubber messing things up :)
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    "I can do ANYTHING for ____ minutes" filling in the blank with the number of minutes. Works every time because it's true!
    ^^this
  • SmileyJ23
    SmileyJ23 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that its almost OVER!!! and I envision my progress pics I have taken so far!!!!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    lots of times I'll think around 15 minutes that i'm too lazy today and i'm not going to make it long, and then i'll keep going "just 5 more minutes", "really give it my all for 5 more minutes", and then i'll be up to 45 minutes and so glad i did! :)
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    To finish my workouts, I don't say anything.

I picture the body I want, and the faces of the people that I'm doing it for:

- Firstly, myself because I want health and fitness
    - My girlfriend, even though she'll love me no matter what, I want her to be proud of this achievement - and I guess arrogantly in a way, I want her to feel like she can 'show me off' when I finally hit my goals.
    - My mother, who always loved me, a little bit too much! Even though she didn't mean it, her cooking routines and habits at home lead me to the path of being overweight. I was always surrounded with a bubble of love in my house where no matter what I did, it was OK. Now I want to show her that I'm ready to change.

So I don't say these words to myself. I picture the images of my goals in my head and use my emotions to keep going.
  • sarabunny18
    sarabunny18 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I watch a movie or a tv show. Then my 40 mins is up before I even realize its been that long :)
  • Toxictwist
    Options
    "i'll feel so much better if I get a good workout"
    Or "if i quit now, I am going to go upstairs and be lazy & probably stuff my face with junk food & end up regretting it... so don't stop!"
  • SWEETS1234
    SWEETS1234 Posts: 243 Member
    Options

I soooooo do this :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    "Expecto Patronum!"

It's a mental shortcut for how I feel about exercise. I can do this because I already did this. Like when Harry Potter produced his Patronus to defeat the Dementors in the Prisoner of Azkaban after using the Time Turner. He knew he could do it because he already saw himself doing it.

And even if it's something I've never done before, I tell myself I can do it because I've already accomplished a zillion other things I never thought I could do before. Run a 10k. Scale a rope wall. Yadda yadda.
  • killerqueen17
    killerqueen17 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I always tell myself "if I quit now, I'll always have an excuse to quit workouts in the future, and I may never finish one again..."

I want quitting to remain a non-option for me!! lol!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    "Expecto Patronum!"

It's a mental shortcut for how I feel about exercise. I can do this because I already did this. Like when Harry Potter produced his Patronus to defeat the Dementors in the Prisoner of Azkaban after using the Time Turner. He knew he could do it because he already saw himself doing it.

And even if it's something I've never done before, I tell myself I can do it because I've already accomplished a zillion other things I never thought I could do before. Run a 10k. Scale a rope wall. Yadda yadda.

I love this!
  • lcnelson
    lcnelson Posts: 279 Member
    Options

100% agree....whether it is another lap (3 miles) or 20 more minutes of Jillian yelling at me!!