People that cook & bake...

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Le Creuset. Definitely the best all round and will last a lifetime.

These are all over TJ Maxx and I was wondering how they were!

I've never had any stoneware except the pizza stone... That's something I hadn't thought about.

And the silicone has great appeal based on storage, so I'd like to hear how you think things cook in it! It kind of scares me...
  • odusgolp
    Options
    i am looking to buy all new also! been using same for YEARS and they are really falling apart. i do love my pyrex but they are a few years old. I have been researching pots and pans. i would love to go cast iron but i have a bad shoulder and im not sure i can to the weight. ugh....ill watch your answers!

I love cast iron, but SO heavy!!!! It may not be an option for you!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I swear by Le Creuset, only brand I cook or bake with. I don't know if you can put them in the dishwasher or not, I don't have one, but I do know they are super easy to clean by hand. And they last forever!
  • maccerpops
    Options
    Its nothing to be scared of, I use mine all the time, the stoneware can handle high heat and I use for roasts all the time. I bake in it, roast in it, and even put the casserole dish on the hob directly. Just MAKE SURE you are not buying replica's or cheaper stoneware versions. I suggest buying from Le Creuset website.
  • maccerpops
    Options
    mine go into the dishwasher... no probs
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I like the store brands from William-Sonoma and Sur La table. Heavy duty, dishwasher safe, non-stick and the best prices for top quality. Crate and Barrel has great stuff too. Le Creuset is an amazing product, if you can get it on sale do it. Also, if you have a restaurant supply nearby you can try there for things like muffin tins and sheet pans, (cookie sheets).

If you need pots and pans-- I bought the Martha Stewart stainless steel set from Macy's years ago and I love it! I have found her brand to be very reliable. I don't think I own any of her bakewear, but I would purchase it without a second thought.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I only use Pampered Chef stuff to cook and bake with. I have tons of it. I used to be a consultant but honestly, I was a user of their products before I became a consultant and now that I'm not one I still am one to reccomend it. The great thing about their cookware is that it can go from the stovetop to the oven. Which is awesome. Unless I'm making a cassarole that starts on the stove top (such as quick chicken pot pie) it goes on my stoneware. I have at least 12 peices of that stuff and use all of them. Also, Pampered Chef cookware as a lifetime warrenty on it.
  • maccerpops
    Options
    you'd be amazed at what you can find if you ask. I have a fantastic (and very old) terrine dish which I bought from a butchers in Paris for € 1. He has plenty enough to do without one! Asking in local cafe's and restaurants can sometimes be good...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    for mixing I like just regular stanless steel bowls, mine are like these but came with a lid (key): http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Stainless-Steel-Mixing-Bowls/dp/B001CECC0E

Or i use stoneware, I have a friend who makes it and I just use his. It's oven, fridge, microwave, and dish washer safe. (Look up Messer Mudd Works on facebook).

For bakeware, I have a lot of Pyrex, but have found that I really prefer the Wilton non-stick products.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    for mixing I like just regular stanless steel bowls, mine are like these but came with a lid (key): http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Stainless-Steel-Mixing-Bowls/dp/B001CECC0E

Or i use stoneware, I have a friend who makes it and I just use his. It's oven, fridge, microwave, and dish washer safe. (Look up Messer Mudd Works on facebook).

For bakeware, I have a lot of Pyrex, but have found that I really prefer the Wilton non-stick products.

LIDS! OK, totally good idea there.
  • foster59803
    foster59803 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    One poster already said go to a bakery supply store and I totally agree... for cookie sheets and muffin tins, you can't go wrong! I am a huge fan of Silpat non stick sheets for your cookie sheets! They are amazing! Le Creuset makes great stuff, their Dutch ovens etc are great. Costco has a great line of stainless steel pots and pans for reasonable price. I have had my set for at least 6 years and they still look amazing. If you have $$ to spend then you can't go wrong with All-Clad products. I always have one non-stick pan... just buy a cheap one at Target, like Kitchen Aid... so I can throw it out when it gets scratched.

Not a huge pamper chef fan, but I do like their baking stones... I just use them to keep the heat in my oven even. TJ Maxx has great spatulas etc... I love good old glass chef bowls for prep, or stainless steel. You can get both of those at restaurant supply stores for really cheap. If you want ceramic bowls that can go from prep to table Emile Henry bowls are beautiful and functional.

Wow... there's my two cents worth :)
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have been REALLY happy with Le Creuset as well. I bake in my cast iron all the time, and have considered the stoneware as well. I just don't like stoneware, because I find that it chips - yes, even the Polish kind
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you have a Tuesday Morning, ransack it, they carry great stuff.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    If you have a Tuesday Morning, ransack it, they carry great stuff.

Nope :( Never heard of it. We have a TJ Maxx & Marshalls though. They carry some great stuff!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Here's Pyrex according to Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

I love snopes! If you read the article in full, they basically state that Pyrex is no worse than any other glass bakeware. I had another brand of glassware (I think it was Anchor Hocking) shatter on me like that several years ago. It was a horrendous mess with tuna noodle casserole all over the top of my stove and counter but all in all, not a huge loss. I replaced that set with a set by Pyrex shortly after and have had no issues at all.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    Here's Pyrex according to Snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/pyrex.asp

I love snopes! If you read the article in full, they basically state that Pyrex is no worse than any other glass bakeware. I had another brand of glassware (I think it was Anchor Hocking) shatter on me like that several years ago. It was a horrendous mess with tuna noodle casserole all over the top of my stove and counter but all in all, not a huge loss. I replaced that set with a set by Pyrex shortly after and have had no issues at all.

I think the basic jist is don't go from burning hot to freezing cold and you're OK... But I'm thinking of getting away from glass cause the two shattering instances I have had are enough *LOL*
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    What did you have before? Did you like it? Were there things you wanted all along that would be different? Start with that list and dream from there.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hmmm ... Well, all my stuff pretty much is Pyrex, but I've had it for years. I don't know anything about the new stuff. Corningware is pretty much usually good (and a shout out to my hometown!).
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard much good about the silicon stuff. Just seems too flimsy for me & plus, I am leery about baking in plastic. I will stick with glass. Also be careful with cheap cookie sheets, they tend to bend & get all whacked out of shape. I'm old fashioned, I will stick with the oldies but goodies...
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Haven't heard much good about the silicon stuff. Just seems too flimsy for me & plus, I am leery about baking in plastic. I will stick with glass. Also be careful with cheap cookie sheets, they tend to bend & get all whacked out of shape. I'm old fashioned, I will stick with the oldies but goodies...

Baking silicone is not "plastic." It is a thermoplastic elastomer with an Si-O-Si backbone. I see professional bakers on TV using them all the time, so I not leery of anything...

ETA: i love how muffins pop right out, and the "pans" are so easy to clean