Wrong for married people to have workout partner of opposite

Options
13»

Replies

• ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    My husband is in much better condition than I am and is currently training a female friend - they run together 4 days a week, plus go to the gym together. It doesn't bug me at all. I hate to run, but love to swim and he hates to swim. So, we each have our own buddy system going and it works great for both of us.
    I generally have more male friends than female - I have never seen this as a problem. There is a huge difference between a platonic relationship and a romantic one.
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Thx again to everyone! I knew there would be various responses - that's actually what I was hoping for.

To lizzybeth102: Since you asked about it, we exchanged #'s after she and her family came back from a trip to Hawaii last yr. She wanted to set up a time for us to come over and see pics/video of the trip as she knew that we are hoping to go there soon too. I actually gave her my wife's # so they could schedule it. We had a nice time and are kids all got along great. The rest, as they say, is history. They (my wife and her) also set up the pool party at our house this summer. So it's not like I'm initializing it. For what it's worth, I also correspond (email, FB) with a couple of the female trainers/class instructors (1 of which is who got me into MFP) and several males from the gym. It's not that hard to be in contact with people in today's connected world.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm bisexual. Does this mean I can't have friends at all?

:laugh: So am I. I tread on fine lines, when I'm dating someone.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Thx again to everyone! I knew there would be various responses - that's actually what I was hoping for.

To lizzybeth102: Since you asked about it, we exchanged #'s after she and her family came back from a trip to Hawaii last yr. She wanted to set up a time for us to come over and see pics/video of the trip as she knew that we are hoping to go there soon too. I actually gave her my wife's # so they could schedule it. We had a nice time and are kids all got along great. The rest, as they say, is history. They (my wife and her) also set up the pool party at our house this summer. So it's not like I'm initializing it. For what it's worth, I also correspond (email, FB) with a couple of the female trainers/class instructors (1 of which is who got me into MFP) and several males from the gym. It's not that hard to be in contact with people in today's connected world.
    I think that's great. It's nice to have friends that the whole family gets along with!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I think you should work out with whomever motivates you. My hubby worked out with one of our female friends all the time and I was relieved because I didn't have to. They knew each other before I met him, so if she was ever going to pull something, she would have done it before I came along. I worked out with her too, but in different ways.

Personally, I have trouble working out with men, because I can't keep up. I do best when my workout buddies are smokers. It seems silly, but it's true.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Men and women can be friends without romantic or sexual feelings getting in the way - there's nothing "unnatural" , as one poster commented, about it. You've been upfront and open with both partners and both families, and you're planning events with both groups together. There is nothing wrong with this scenario at all - enjoy the friendship and the motivation, and ignore the numpties at the gym who give you 'the look'. If someone asks you if you're married, just tell them - "no, we're friends", or even "family-friends" if you want to negate any possibility in their minds of any other type of relationship.

My best friend is male, and people often assume we are a couple when we're out together. As he's like a brother to me, this prompts a rather unpleasantly icky response for me, but both of our significant others are entirely aware of the friendship and have no problem with it. We often accompany each other to functions where we share a common interest that is not particularly interesting to our partners. Continue being honest with your spouse, and if things ever move in a different direction, you may have to take other steps, but it sounds very above-board to me.