water

Options
13»

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Water????? Yum!!! :laugh: :laugh: Today I had 144 ounces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I weigh 131lbs...yesterday I had 160oz... I exercise a lot, plus I drink coffee, plus I live in San Antonio and it was 79 degrees today!!! And I have always loved drinking water...just do some research on your own and decide for yourself but 8 cups a day is definitely NOT enough!! :flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    oprah did a show about a year or so that stressed most people don't drink enough water...they agreed with the idea of taking 1/2 your body weight and drinking that amount in oz.....200 lbs. = 100 ounces of water....i found that when i replaced the 2 liter bottle of diet soda i could swig down daily with water, i felt so much better!!!...amazing i didn't think drinking 64 ounces of diet soda or sweet tea was a problem at all...but i sure balked at the idea of 64 ounces of water!!!...now i aim for 100 ounces of water a day spread out throughout the day...good luck with your weight loss journey...this is a great site...but, remember, it is made up of people with various ideas and beliefs...read the posts and take from them what rings true for you...if it doesn't feel right to you, leave it...it probably isn't right for you...blessings to all...
    Very well put:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Water????? Yum!!! :laugh: :laugh: Today I had 144 ounces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I weigh 131lbs...yesterday I had 160oz... I exercise a lot, plus I drink coffee, plus I live in San Antonio and it was 79 degrees today!!! And I have always loved drinking water...just do some research on your own and decide for yourself but 8 cups a day is definitely NOT enough!! :flowerforyou:
    :drinker: :bigsmile: definitely not enough for me and my lifestyle...but then that's just me:glasses: :wink: :heart:

FC:heart:
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    I drink a 3 Liter bottle of water a day. Plus after my workouts I drink another 20 oz bottle.

Per Mayoclinic.com

Though uncommon, it is possible to drink too much water. When your kidneys are unable to excrete the excess water, the electrolyte (mineral) content of the blood is diluted, resulting in low sodium levels in the blood, a condition called hyponatremia. Endurance athletes, such as marathon runners, who drink large amounts of water are at higher risk of hyponatremia. In general, though, drinking too much water is rare in healthy adults who consume an average American diet.

Exercise.
    If you exercise or engage in any activity that makes you sweat, you need to drink extra water to compensate for the fluid loss. An extra 400 to 600 milliliters (about 1.5 to 2.5 cups) of water should suffice for short bouts of exercise, but intense exercise lasting more than an hour (for example, running a marathon) requires more fluid intake. How much additional fluid you need depends on how much you sweat during exercise, the duration of your exercise and the type of activity you're engaged in.
  • MattySparky
    Options
    I have been told drinking half your body weight in water will help you lose weight faster...Does anyone know if that is true and if it is healthy?

She also asked if it was healthy, and its not. There is a fine line and water is both good for you but can cause damage, I needed to and have the right to express this. I did not mean to start anything... so take what ever you want out of this.

And way to go on your weight loss, keep it up, its worth it.
    Take care

137570.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

point taken, and I personally didn't think you were starting anything.
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    Per Realage.com/Nutritioncenter

Too Much of a Good Thing
    Under normal circumstances, a healthy body can process large amounts of water as long as it also has plenty of electrolytes, in particular, sodium. But the combination of too much water and not enough sodium can cause problems. Those at highest risk of developing hyponatremia are: • Endurance athletes who lose large amounts of sodium through sweating and then flood their bodies with too much fluid as they try to rehydrate
    • People with kidney problems
    • People over 65 years old who take multiple medications or have health conditions that compromise the body’s ability to get rid of fluids or maintain adequate sodium levels

Although rare, hyponatremia can also occur as a result of unsafe crash dieting or binge beer-drinking.

So what about those eight glasses?
    Contrary to popular belief, there is no evidence to suggest that drinking eight 8-ounce glasses of water each day will make you healthier. And relying on the eight-glass rule may not be enough to avoid dehydration in certain circumstances.
  • MissResa
    MissResa Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    8 - 10 glasses per day is enough for any body type.

This can be true, if you are at a healthy weight already and not exercising. But if you're active-such as exercising to lose weight, you need much more. Also, a friend of mine did go to the hospital for overhydrating, but it was GALLONS of water in one day... He did flush his electrolytes from his system... He was trying to hydrate himself in preparation for a long, hot day in the sun of Hawaii for a function he was pulling security for. The thing is, it was an EXTREME CASE... And much, much more water than half of his weight in ounces. I think it's over-doing it to scare a person by saying that they will die from drinking too much water... Use common sense, and you'll do just fine. I drink over 100oz a day, but I'm also exercising all the time now.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Per Realage.com/Nutritioncenter

Too Much of a Good Thing
    Under normal circumstances, a healthy body can process large amounts of water as long as it also has plenty of electrolytes, in particular, sodium. But the combination of too much water and not enough sodium can cause problems. Those at highest risk of developing hyponatremia are: • Endurance athletes who lose large amounts of sodium through sweating and then flood their bodies with too much fluid as they try to rehydrate
    Good info, this is what Gatorade is about, they put extra sodium in it for that reason. And this is the great thing about being a runner or any endurance athlete, watching sodium content, not such a big deal.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Am I the only person who just drinks water because I feel I need hydration as opposed to following some guideline (8 glasses a day or 1/2 your body weight in ounces)?
    If your body wants it then it's good. Don't overstuff yourself with water for no reason and don't ignore your body's thirst. I know that can be harder for people who don't like water but get used to it.
    I find I need water first thing in the morning, before meals, a tonne during and after workouts, and sipping it throughout the entire day (water bottle at desk at work, big cup at home).
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I am not dead yet. I know I have drank half my body weight in ounces. I am not sure how hard you guys work out, but just guessing from previous posts we have some pretty intense workouts going on. After I run for an hour I drink 40 ounces just to refuel. Not to mention the amount durring the rest of the day. If you drink an excess of water in a very short amount of time, you can die. It happened around here at a fraturnity as part of their rush/pledge. I also watched my best friend run a 1/2 marathon (under 2 hours) and she not drink enough and ended up in the ER and got 4 L. of fluid. If you are working out you need to be hydrated, or it can kill you.

Was it water that she needed, or electrolytes? Hyponatremia is a big risk to marathoners. Water is the medium in which all of metabolism takes place, but without electrolytes, nothing takes place. Overhydration dilutes important levels of sodium, potassium, and calcium, which are already depleted through excessive sweating. It's not about water replenishment as electrolyte AND water replenishment. No, you won't die right away, but your performance can suffer and it can cause renal and neurological damage.