Increasing calories? fast loss, lightheadness, input?

Options
2»

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    As for the light headedness do you track your heart rate while working out? Perhaps you pushed yourself very hard and just felt woozy. Perhaps it is because you don't have the spare energy to burn (low net calories) and need more fuel (food).

I do - and I think it's because I was doing something strenuous on the step, then down on the floor for core stuff, then back up quickly and that's when it happened. At the same time, it doesn't usually happen.

But yes, you're right - I am going to start eating them back. Thanks for your input :)
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    If you are lightheaded during a workout, you are probably not eating enough and/or not drinking enough to fuel the workout.

Agreed. Fuel the body-- its telling you something so listen!
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I've been there before! Running 400m intervals from a crouching start on a grass track during a restricted-calorie diet, felt a little lightheaded, then woke up in the recovery position in the middle of the track with a very worried-looking coach and a bleeding nose. Apparently I came out of the blocks, stumbled then fell in a heap.

Went to the doctor, who told me off for not fuelling up for the session.

He said (paraphrased from 5 years ago - nutrionists please correct me if I'm wrong) that while your body will eat into your fat reserves, it can't process fat fast enough to release enough energy to get through a workout. So if you haven't fuelled up before the workout, you're going to really struggle, because your body doesn't have anything available to burn. But if you do fuel up before a workout, you'll burn through the fuel AND your body will freak out and continue breaking down fat as it anticipates there will be future periods in which it will need the fuel. (though this description is probably a massive oversimplification of a very, very complex process!)

Further compounding the problem: standing up from a prone position - like starting blocks or a gym mat - drains blood away from your head, which can cause lightheadedness.

You DO NOT want to pass out / faint at the gym or in the middle of exercise in general - gyms especially, there's lots of handy equipment around that you can hit yourself on the way down; even if you fall over from your own height, your head's going to be the fastest-moving part of your body to hit the ground. And...if you're injured...it's much harder to exercise effectively...so avoid injury at all cost!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have felt light headed whilst training hard when not on a diet. Maybe the problem is that you need to pull back a little on the training and stick with the calories with you are eating now.
  • RyanEdwardParker
    Options
    Here's my suggestion. I suspect that you're experiencing one of two things. An electrolyte imbalance or low blood pressure. Both can present with the lightheadedness you mentioned. I'd recommend that before you increase your calorie intake, try to take some electrolyte solutions to see if it helps. Also, you might need a bit more meat in your diet if you have low blood pressure. Try these two things and report back ya :)

Ryan Parker
    Zdiets.net - Lost 170lbs - Hypertension GONE! - High Cholesterol GONE!