Olive oil, how much is too much?

Options
I'm pretty much in love with olive oil and was under the understanding that it was a 'good fat' and that you can pretty much have as much as you like. Until recently when I saw a cooking show and the guy said it was very fattening....
I know it's fat, but does it really cause weight gain if its the only fat your really eating? i know a table spoon has like 15g's of fat (overall I had 3tbls of it), but its all good for you!
I'm confused, the question is; should I cut down on my olive oil, or is it a good part of my diet?

Replies

• taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Barring any medical conditions, if you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. If you are in a surplus you will gain. Have as much as you want. If you're hitting your numbers you're fine.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's good fat, but you still need to keep within your calorie allowance if you don't want to gain weight from it. Excess calories are excess calories.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    As long as you count the calories thats all that matters.

3 tbls has about 300 calories. If those fit in your diet then good.

The actual fat content doesn't matter. As long as it fits your macros and/or your calories.
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I like olive oil too, the staple of a great meditaranean diet. The answer lies in what else you are eating: if you're keeping to goal cals and watching your overall nutrients then don't stress it: olive oil IS great for you. Having said that, it is an energy dense food so a little moderation is a good idea (as with most foods btw!)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    FYI it's really nothing special health wise if you cook with it. The health benefits are realized when it's eaten uncooked.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    1 gram of fat contains 9 calories. As long as you fit those calories into your weight loss and nutritional goals, there is no such thing as too much olive oil. It is good for you.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    FYI it's really nothing special health wise if you cook with it. The health benefits are realized when it's eaten uncooked.

I'll add to that that it has to be stored properly and used quickly. Too many people buy in large quantities, store it over the oven, etc.

It goes rancid, it loses it's "healthy" benefits, etc when not handled with care.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options

The actual fat content doesn't matter. As long as it fits your macros and/or your calories.

All the kinds I have ever used are 70 cal/tbls - that's only 210 for 3.
  • karin_02
    karin_02 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I use it for both cooking and dressing salads, maybe i should use less in cooking then.
  • sarapie
    Options

All the kinds I have ever used are 70 cal/tbls - that's only 210 for 3.

What Olive oil are you using?? I've never found one under 120 calories per Tbsp
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    My olive oil bottle said 120 calories for Tablespoon. I can eat my real Ranch dressing for the same calories!!
  • karin_02
    Options
    Olive oil tends to put me over my fat goal, but I stay under my calorie goal.... is that ok as its good fat? or still a weight loss no-no?
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Olive oil tends to put me over my fat goal, but I stay under my calorie goal.... is that ok as its good fat? or still a weight loss no-no?

Still fine.
    But watch that you're not consuming so much fat that you don't have room in the budget for protein.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I use it for both cooking and dressing salads, maybe i should use less in cooking then.
    For cooking, you are better off using oils that can take higher temps. Stuff like safflower oil or avocado oil, for examples. Mostly you don't want to have your oil smoking from being too hot, that's not a good thing :drinker:
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    My olive oil bottle said 120 calories for Tablespoon. I can eat my real Ranch dressing for the same calories!!

yea, but olive oil is great for cardiovascular health, and the saturated fat in ranch dressing is not
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is a healthy fat when it's in the form of an olive. Once you strip the olive of its fiber, nutrients (most) and cellular structure, all you are left with is the fat. Olive oil damages the endothelial cells that line your arteries. These cells protect our blood flow and prevent cholesterol and plaques from building up on the cell walls. I guess if you don't have heart disease and you don't mind consuming high quantities of empty calories, you may enjoy your oil in moderation.

Once I quit adding oils to my food, I much prefered the natural flavor. I hate going to a restaurant and being served an oily dish.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

For cooking, you are better off using oils that can take higher temps. Stuff like safflower oil or avocado oil, for examples. Mostly you don't want to have your oil smoking from being too hot, that's not a good thing :drinker:

nor is it good to have anything "carmelized" from what I've heard...and that includes crusty melted cheese :(
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    Olive oil is a healthy fat when it's in the form of an olive. Once you strip the olive of its fiber, nutrients (most) and cellular structure, all you are left with is the fat. Olive oil damages the endothelial cells that line your arteries. These cells protect our blood flow and prevent cholesterol and plaques from building up on the cell walls. I guess if you don't have heart disease and you don't mind consuming high quantities of empty calories, you may enjoy your oil in moderation.

Once I quit adding oils to my food, I much prefered the natural flavor. I hate going to a restaurant and being served an oily dish.

Could you please post a histological study that confirms that olive oil damages the endothelial layer of blood vessels?
  • karin_02
    Options

This is the first I have ever heard olive oil is UN-healthy! It's usually praised as a food of utter health, where did you learn it was bad for you?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

This is the first I have ever heard olive oil is UN-healthy! It's usually praised as a food of utter health, where did you learn it was bad for you?

It is healthy. Please don't believe all the nonsense you read on these forums. If you are concerned ask your doctor, or check a reputable medical site (e.g. hospital, medical university, etc.)