Olive oil, how much is too much?

Options
2»

Replies

• JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Umm. Bertolli?

I'm in Canada though? Or hey, I could have been reading the label wrong all this time, but I'm pretty sure I haven't since I remember looking at it and thinking "wow, same calories as Crisco.."
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Umm. Bertolli?

I'm in Canada though? Or hey, I could have been reading the label wrong all this time, but I'm pretty sure I haven't since I remember looking at it and thinking "wow, same calories as Crisco.."
    All fat has the same calories per gram, pretty much. Butter has less but it also has water in it's composition.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is a healthy fat when it's in the form of an olive. Once you strip the olive of its fiber, nutrients (most) and cellular structure, all you are left with is the fat. Olive oil damages the endothelial cells that line your arteries. These cells protect our blood flow and prevent cholesterol and plaques from building up on the cell walls. I guess if you don't have heart disease and you don't mind consuming high quantities of empty calories, you may enjoy your oil in moderation.

Once I quit adding oils to my food, I much prefered the natural flavor. I hate going to a restaurant and being served an oily dish.

This is the first I have ever heard olive oil is UN-healthy! It's usually praised as a food of utter health, where did you learn it was bad for you?

It is healthy. Please don't believe all the nonsense you read on these forums. If you are concerned ask your doctor, or check a reputable medical site (e.g. hospital, medical university, etc.)

It is one thing to disagree based upon your own educated research, but it's another to label someone's comment as "nonsense".

Dr Robert Vogel of the University of Maryland did a study on the effects of olive oil after consuming it. He found that it slowed the blood flow (referred to as FMD) by 31%. This results in damage to the endothelial cells and diminishes their capacity to produce nitric oxide. You may read the report at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11079642

Similar results have been found in later studies.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

It is one thing to disagree based upon your own educated research, but it's another to label someone's comment as "nonsense".

Dr Robert Vogel of the University of Maryland did a study on the effects of olive oil after consuming it. He found that it slowed the blood flow (referred to as FMD) by 31%. This results in damage to the endothelial cells and diminishes their capacity to produce nitric oxide. You may read the report at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11079642

Dr Vogel has a LOT of publications that are very good, but when you research this article on pubmed, there are 6 other articles, all containing different opinions on the same issues. I didn't take the time to compare each study or prepare a meta-analysis, but I did notice that the study you reference only used 10 subjects...
  • marcbarghout
    marcbarghout Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use a spray bottle for salads and a doctoral student in nutrition told me it could be used for cooking (can be if you do not exceed 180 degree?)
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    I'm not sure. When I looked it up, the smoke point of olive oil is much higher...like 320-460 (varies by how "light" it is).

And that sounds like a healthy range, because chefs on tv frequently use olive oil on roasted veggies that are cooked in that range.

Although 180C = 356F, so maybe we're both right ;)
  • marcbarghout
    marcbarghout Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    oh yeah I meant 180 °C, I am french :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is a healthy fat when it's in the form of an olive. Once you strip the olive of its fiber, nutrients (most) and cellular structure, all you are left with is the fat. Olive oil damages the endothelial cells that line your arteries. These cells protect our blood flow and prevent cholesterol and plaques from building up on the cell walls. I guess if you don't have heart disease and you don't mind consuming high quantities of empty calories, you may enjoy your oil in moderation.

Once I quit adding oils to my food, I much prefered the natural flavor. I hate going to a restaurant and being served an oily dish.

This is the first I have ever heard olive oil is UN-healthy! It's usually praised as a food of utter health, where did you learn it was bad for you?

It is healthy. Please don't believe all the nonsense you read on these forums. If you are concerned ask your doctor, or check a reputable medical site (e.g. hospital, medical university, etc.)

Suggesting people dispel nonsense by checking out reputable scientific or medical sources is good advice, Otherwise you end up believing posts that offer one or two random studies to "prove" a point on a subject for which there are hundreds, maybe even thousands, of studies.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Olive oil is good fat but it is still a fat. I don't think you should go overboard just because it's a better fat then others.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options

Dr Vogel has a LOT of publications that are very good, but when you research this article on pubmed, there are 6 other articles, all containing different opinions on the same issues. I didn't take the time to compare each study or prepare a meta-analysis, but I did notice that the study you reference only used 10 subjects...
    Olive oil has been researched to death and I personally don't support the notion that because one oil has a thicker viscosity (saturation) is necessarily a bad thing in the big picture, there's just to many confounders. Obviously if canola was compared to fish oil for the same study it would have shown the canola to be less effective and impairs FMD more than fish oil and therefore more atherogenic and coconut oil being 92% saturated fat would be a killer basically. It looks like fat in general is the mediator. I would imagine the reason the canola oil showed those results was the fact that canola has 1/2 the saturated fat content and 10X more omega content than olive oil, making the oil in general less viscous.
    A high-oleic and linoleic acid meal has recently been shown to impair FMD in comparison with a low-fat meal
    Therefore you could draw the conclusion that all monounsaturated fat regardless of the source and omega 6 impair FMD and are atherogenic....interesting when you dissect it in this regard. Does it make sense, nope.

Also the quality of olive oil and the phenolic content does influence outcomes. The platform that EVOO is less healthy than canola is not a good one to be preaching from. Putting this study in perspective in relation to diet is not considered, only the overall effect of fat on FMD. Hopefully we know that olive oil or any monounsaturated fat or omega's are healthy in regards to diet. imo
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    [ ]
  • Lily_1
    Lily_1 Posts: 38
    Options
    No amount is too much. I use it on so many foods. Meat, veggies, pasta etc before and after cooking. In addition I use EVOO on my hair and all over my body as well. It's amazing, creates a wonderful glow and 100% pure. It does not have the toxins other health and beauty aides do.
  • kellirweaver
    Options
    Keep in mind, not all calories are created equal. Just because they are the same amount of calories, does not make them interchangeable nutritionally. Would you want 100 calories of whole food, or processed food? In the end, you make that decision. What's better, 100 calories of Kool-Aid or Grape juice?