diet soda

Options

Replies

• capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    If you think it's hindering your weight loss then maybe you should quit drinking it? Maybe swap some of it out for unsweetened tea?

Diet soda has actually helped my weight loss. I don't crave sweets at all when I drink it, but when I don't drink it... I want to cake and bread and anything else possible. I don't have diet soda as a drink though, I have water and tea for that, it's more of a snack. I drink 3 cans or more a day and lost 100 lbs.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    i found diet soda made it harder to lose too (same with crystal light...so perhaps it is the aspartame?)...i cut it completely out and now all i drink is water and real fruit juices and it has made a huge difference!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    According to my deititian: Diet drinks and other zero calorie sweeteners trick your brain into expecting sugar. So your brain will cause you to release insulin which in turn causes the existing blood sugar to drop, making you more hungry than you should be. .

Yep! And your dietitian isn't the only one who feels that way...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110627183944.htm
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options
    I drink 3 cans or more a day and lost 100 lbs.

...but how are those dentist visits going...
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    how can anything containing zero calories slow down your weight loss? :noway:

That's rubbish. Every pound of my loss has been saturated in Coke Zero.

Mmm Coke Zero . . . . yeah mine too. I haven't lost anything lately but that's more me and less the soda :ohwell:
  • britishstar41
    britishstar41 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i just quit again for the umpteenth time the diet soda that is. i found this time that if i drink it then i get the urge to eat sweets but never noticed it before. so today no soda and i didnt eat the blueberry scone at the cafeteria. it smelled good but it wasnt like i had to have it. yesterday i ate 3 choc chips cookies that i didnt really want anyway! i dont really know if it was related but it doesnt hurt to quit anyway. i drink water and the crystal light natural now. it has 15 cal, but i only need maybe one a day. hope this helps, i dont drink coffee either so losing the caffeine was way harsh!

This happened to me, too. I switched to the sugar free syrups at Starbucks and wanted to inhale the entire bakery section at Albertson's. I quit drinking the artificial sweeteners, and the cravings stopped. Magic! Now if I want soda, or a sweet coffee drink, I force myself to accommodate the calories.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    According to my deititian: Diet drinks and other zero calorie sweeteners trick your brain into expecting sugar. So your brain will cause you to release insulin which in turn causes the existing blood sugar to drop, making you more hungry than you should be. .

Yep! And your dietitian isn't the only one who feels that way...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/06/110627183944.htm

This is the one problem I have ever had with diet soda. I drink one then want to sip on diet soda all day xD

weight loss related it has never hindered me.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

Well, I'm not the poster of that comment but I have had one cavity in my life and according to my dentist it was very small.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

I haven't had any problems yet but I brush several times a day, use mouth wash, and floss.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda often and it hasn't hindered me.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

My children drink diet soda all the time they have great teeth
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Of course they do, they are children. Children are practically indestructible. Give it a few years...

Also, be careful about how conservative your dentist is, as many cavities (even really bad ones) don't always show up on xray.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

perfect, since there is no sugar in diet soda.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Oh aren't you cute? Well considering its the phosphoric acid in soda that causes tooth decay, the absence of sugar isn't all that helpful
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

Of course they do, they are children. Children are practically indestructible. Give it a few years...

Also, be careful about how conservative your dentist is, as many cavities (even really bad ones) don't always show up on xray.

Hahahahaha I was being a smart *kitten* they dont drink soda,but as long as people BRUSH thier teeth they will be fine,oranges can rot your teeth too you know.Almost everything will if you dont brush. I grew up drinking soda and had awesome teeth
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda when I am craving something sweet and haven't saved enough calories for a treat. It's a great substitute. I don't drink it often, so it's a treat for me. But I do drink Crystal lite, I use a tiny bit in my water so I can drink more water.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Ok this may be a silly question, but since I don't know anything about teeth.... if you brush your teeth normally wouldn't it be okay to drink the diet soda?
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Hahahahaha I was being a smart *kitten* they dont drink soda,but as long as people BRUSH thier teeth they will be fine,oranges can rot your teeth too you know.Almost everything will if you dont brush. I grew up drinking soda and had awesome teeth

Brushing helps, but you'd have to brush a hell of a lot to keep up with a 36oz a day habit...
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

Oh aren't you cute? Well considering its the phosphoric acid in soda that causes tooth decay, the absence of sugar isn't all that helpful

I put away a case every two-three days. Have been doing so for three years. Just had my checkup, and my teeth are perfect.
    All that scary acid must have somehow passed me by. :huh:
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    Ok this may be a silly question, but since I don't know anything about teeth.... if you brush your teeth normally wouldn't it be okay to drink the diet soda?

yes it will not damage your teeth if you take care of them,anything can cause tooth decay espically acidic fruits like oranges and such. But you know if people brush they will be fine