1200 cal without exercising??

Options
124»

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

More and more studies have shown that exercise actually can trigger the hunger. Of course you need to eat after workout. That's why I try not to exercise vigorously.

Well I enjoy eating, and exercising vigorously...so I'm cool with it. I don't have a problem eating back my exercise calories. I'm just saying that it's impossible, with the workouts I put in, to not eat my exercise calories.

Good for you. :) I myself have no self control after a intense workout so I learned not to trigger my appetite. :)
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Good for you. :) I myself have no self control after a intense workout so I learned not to trigger my appetite. :)

Oh I'm sure it triggers my appetite.

A lot of days I end up going "over" on calories, but at least they are healthy calories. I'm just hungry, so I eat! I think the issue is that I'm probably burning a lot more than the estimates I've used...might invest in a HRM.
  • albayin
    Options

Oh I'm sure it triggers my appetite.

A lot of days I end up going "over" on calories, but at least they are healthy calories. I'm just hungry, so I eat! I think the issue is that I'm probably burning a lot more than the estimates I've used...might invest in a HRM.

LOL, I am quite opposite. I definitely think I burn less than I think I have burned. That's why I am gaining weight slowly when doing exercise and eat back. But again everybody is different. :)
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I just started here about 1.5 weeks ago and I eat 1240 calories a day.
    The 4 days a week i go the the gym I earn 400-500 calories and I eat those.
    The days I don't exercise I am not normally hungry if I choose the right foods.
    If I choose badly and am still hungry at the end of the day I try to eat something that is healthy, filling, and low cal if possible.
    Since it doesn't happen that often I am not concerned about going slightly over my calories once in a blue moon.
  • hmstarbuck
    hmstarbuck Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I find planning is key to staying within my 1200 calories. I make a plan and stick with. Loads of fruits and veggies and I cook at home. I bring left overs for lunch. Stay away from processed food. Way too many calories for less food.
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I was having a problem sticking to 1200 calories on days when I didn't exercise the first few times I tried MFP but this time round, it seems easier.

I echo what people have said about skimmed milk and veggies. I always have skimmed milk and cereal for breakfast and it fills me up. I work strange shifts so often don't have a break for lunch and by the time I get home, it's almost dinner time, so tend to have to skip lunch which isn't ideal.

I've tried skipping bread for lunch and going for meat, yoghurt, nuts and things like that.

Another thing I've tried to get a handle on is smaller portions. All of that seems to have helped me stick to 1200.

I'm lucky that I LOVE going to fitness classes at the gym, so exercise is rarely a chore for me and then it gives me an extra few calories to play with if I need it, but on days when I can't make the gym or am giving my body a rest I try to have a small dinner portion and then have a cereal later on in the night if I feel hungry.
  • albayin
    Options
    I was having a problem sticking to 1200 calories on days when I didn't exercise the first few times I tried MFP but this time round, it seems easier.

I echo what people have said about skimmed milk and veggies. I always have skimmed milk and cereal for breakfast and it fills me up. I work strange shifts so often don't have a break for lunch and by the time I get home, it's almost dinner time, so tend to have to skip lunch which isn't ideal.

I've tried skipping bread for lunch and going for meat, yoghurt, nuts and things like that.

Another thing I've tried to get a handle on is smaller portions. All of that seems to have helped me stick to 1200.

I'm lucky that I LOVE going to fitness classes at the gym, so exercise is rarely a chore for me and then it gives me an extra few calories to play with if I need it, but on days when I can't make the gym or am giving my body a rest I try to have a small dinner portion and then have a cereal later on in the night if I feel hungry.

For me nuts were not a good option. They are healthy alright but also caloried loaded. A serving won't fill me up so I would have to go for more...then...you get the math. :(
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

For me nuts were not a good option. They are healthy alright but also caloried loaded. A serving won't fill me up so I would have to go for more...then...you get the math. :(

Right?!? Lol

1/4 cup of trail mix is a "serving" and it has (usually) 150+ calories. And who eats a 1/4 cup? Cmon!
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I just logged in my 90th day here at MFP and only ate a portion of my exercise calories once (Thanksgiving, of course, lol). I surprised myself when I found that 1200 calories a day became easy for me. I often have 200 calories left over after eating dinner, so I even have calories for an evening snack. I eat something every two hours and still average 1200 calories a day. My diary is open if you'd like to take a look.

Good luck!
  • albayin
    Options

Right?!? Lol

1/4 cup of trail mix is a "serving" and it has (usually) 150+ calories. And who eats a 1/4 cup? Cmon!

You mean some people can be filled up with 1/8 cup? oh lord...I must have been fed by elephants growing up...

:bigsmile: