If you could give only piece of advice

Options
to those of us just starting our weight loss/fitness journey, what would it be? Feel free to chime in whether you've already met your goal or just began!

Mine would be don't give up on yourself. No matter how many times you fail, keep trying. You deserve this!

EDIT- I meant "If you could give only ONE piece of advice."

Replies

• MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    don't give up... and take one day at a time
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    "You didn't gain all the weight in a month, so don't expect it to come off that fast, either".

Be patient and keep on going!
  • secostley
    secostley Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You will never, NEVER lose weight unless you hate where you are enough to do something about it!
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options
    View food as fuel, and feed yourself accordingly. At least once a month, eat for pleasure!
  • daves160
    daves160 Posts: 600
    Options
    The people in your life come first. Don't neglect your relationships.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    "You didn't gain all the weight in a month, so don't expect it to come off that fast, either".

I gained 30lbs in a matter of a few months, the last 20 being only in about 2 months! But, I didn't know that my thyroid was "lazy" as my doctor put it, so I think that contributed!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If you have a bad day, forgive yourself, and remember that it was only one day.
  • starkid120
    starkid120 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Plan. Record your day's calories BEFORE you eat them!! And adjust accordingly.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Go slow, and keep going until you are finished. Be gentle with yourself. Be open and curious to the changes and discoveries you make along the way.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    You will never, NEVER lose weight unless you hate where you are enough to do something about it!
    That's what got me here this time around! I can't even think of quitting because I don't want to be like this anymore!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    dont beat yourself up if you mess up......there is always tomorrow!
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options

I gained 30lbs in a matter of a few months, the last 20 being only in about 2 months! But, I didn't know that my thyroid was "lazy" as my doctor put it, so I think that contributed!

My apologies, I didn't mean to come off as insensitive. :flowerforyou:
  • mrsknotts
    Options
    It is never too late to begin again. If you lost and gained, just began. Maybe you did good all week and then went over on Friday. Maybe you ate a late night snack. Whatever the set back you can decide that right now you begin again. No matter how bad you think it is make that decision to start over
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Do your own research, myths are still around. Knowledge is awesome :D
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    drink your water!!!!! It helps move the bad stuff out and keeps you hydrated so you can do everything else you need to do to lose weight!
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    View food as fuel, and feed yourself accordingly. At least once a month, eat for pleasure!

Love this!!!
  • blessedtobefit
    blessedtobefit Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Believe in yourself...you CAN do anything when you believe in you!
  • bjs06
    bjs06 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Life is 20% what happens to you and 80% how you react to it.
    Meaning attitude is everything. You have to want this more than anything and work your *kitten* off to get it. No giving up, no cheating.. smart choices always. Strength is mental.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    "Use the force, Luke."

No, I kid.

Don't fall for any gimmicks. Keep it simple. Follow the guidelines here.

Also, allow me share this link to a group here that has some incredibly helpful answers to common questions and pitfalls: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/457-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    When you have a bad day- don't feel too bad. Tomorrow is a new day- use it wisely.