If you could give only piece of advice

Options

Replies

• honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    "You didn't gain all the weight in a month, so don't expect it to come off that fast, either".

Be patient and keep on going!
    I gained 30lbs in a matter of a few months, the last 20 being only in about 2 months! But, I didn't know that my thyroid was "lazy" as my doctor put it, so I think that contributed!

My apologies, I didn't mean to come off as insensitive. :flowerforyou:
    No need, you are fine! I didn't think you were insensitive in any way! :smile:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Don't starve yourself and don't fall for gimmicks. Eat sensibly, stay close to your calorie goals, and exercise. That's always been the best, healthiest, most sustainable way to lose weight and it probably always will be.
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    Don't try to change your whole life in one day! Take it slow, tackle one habit at a time. Be in it for the long run!
    I am guilty of that! When I become interested in something, I dive into it. I think it can be a negative and a positive.
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY POUNDS YOU NEED TO LOSE...
    THE ONLY POUND THAT MATTERS IS THE NEXT ONE.

MOTIVATION IS FLEETING - HABIT IS EVERYTHING
    Choose just a couple of new nutrition behaviors/choices and one exercise behavior, and commit to doing them everyday for 30-60 days (with pre-selected rest days). Make these choices NON-NEGOTIABLE and maintain them for the entire 30-60 day period. No matter how much or how little else you take on in your health efforts, these items are simply non-negotiable.

For example, when I started, I knew that I was intimidated by going to the gym. I knew that I would make excuses or just legitimately not feel like working out at some point. I also knew that HABIT IS EVERYTHING, and if I just forced myself to go to the gym every week day for a month (even if I just walked on the treadmill for 10 minutes), I would develop the habit and the mindset that going to the gym was part of my daily life. I also accurately predicted that by going everyday, I would overcome my intimidation and feeling that I didn't belong there. It worked. I never went for just 10 minutes. Once I stepped through the gym doors (which was the hardest part), I was there for the duration.

I also promote REPLACING (not merely eliminating) a couple of bad nutrition habits with healthier habits.
  • StacyB150
    StacyB150 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Only you can push you.
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Persistence is key...if you fall off for one meal or a whole day or a whole week even, don't give up...just hop back on track and keep pushing through
  • oberon0124
    oberon0124 Posts: 10,527 Member
    Options
    If you ahve a problem turn to a friend here. That is what we are all here for.
  • julieinomaha
    Options
    I agree about getting a HRM to gauge calories lost, the calculators over calculate and then you are just kidding yourself. Also it is good to equate how much exercise it takes to burn off your favorites or burn to "earn". Best of luck
  • honeysprinkles
    Options
    IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MANY POUNDS YOU NEED TO LOSE...
    THE ONLY POUND THAT MATTERS IS THE NEXT ONE.

MOTIVATION IS FLEETING - HABIT IS EVERYTHING
    Choose just a couple of new nutrition behaviors/choices and one exercise behavior, and commit to doing them everyday for 30-60 days (with pre-selected rest days). Make these choices NON-NEGOTIABLE and maintain them for the entire 30-60 day period. No matter how much or how little else you take on in your health efforts, these items are simply non-negotiable.

For example, when I started, I knew that I was intimidated by going to the gym. I knew that I would make excuses or just legitimately not feel like working out at some point. I also knew that HABIT IS EVERYTHING, and if I just forced myself to go to the gym every week day for a month (even if I just walked on the treadmill for 10 minutes), I would develop the habit and the mindset that going to the gym was part of my daily life. I also accurately predicted that by going everyday, I would overcome my intimidation and feeling that I didn't belong there. It worked. I never went for just 10 minutes. Once I stepped through the gym doors (which was the hardest part), I was there for the duration.

I also promote REPLACING (not merely eliminating) a couple of bad nutrition habits with healthier habits.
    Great advice!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Don't be intimidated by more challenging exercise routines...don't get in a rut and do the same ol' thing. CONSTANTLY challenge yourself to get better, workout harder, lift more, do more reps, workout longer.
  • NikkiTaber
    Options
    Take a before and after picture. You'd be suprised.

I agree with this! Whenever I start feeling like I'm not losing weight or I am losing my motivation, I will compare a recent picture with my before picture. Seeing the difference is the best way to get back on track.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Don't overcomplicate things. Too often people get all caught up in when and how often they should eat, what they can or cannot eat etc etc when really in terms of body composition the most important thing is you hit your macros and if you're looking to lose weight maintain a consistent caloric deficit, really it's that easy
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    an hour of cardio a day dont eat it back
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Do not mistake pleasure for happiness.
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I blogged this last month:

Advice for the highly motivated newbies

I'm sure you have a vision now of what your physical health goal is.

I would encourage you to adjust your lens to even a wider scope, that includes finding the lifestyle, adjusting every single thing in your life - that will result in your health goal as a consequence of that lifestyle.

Doing that will make the result fall out of the process of adhering to that lifestyle.

The reason I suggest this is because we can get mired down from time to time, losing sight of the goal. Distracted. That's when you need to just focus on the process. If your goal is The Process rather than the result, you just have to get through that day, maybe even that moment. The result ends up being a consequence of adhering to your goal. The goal is now the lifestyle you've chosen. This approach takes time out of the equation as well. You pronounce each day as a day you achieved your goal. The Big Goal. Most of us who have stuck with using MFP for even years have ended up adjusting their health goals at least twice through their progression. That health goal may change, but if the process becomes your goal, that doesn't change.

MFP gives you the tools to reach the goal. It is all about NET calories and accountability. Using the diary facilitates accountability. The more detail, the more you can fine tune your approach. That aspect of the lifestyle.

Hope this makes sense to you.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    If you're a woman, don't be afraid of strength training! You are not going to bulk up unless you spend a LONG time lifting while upping your calories (protein). Strength training is good for us!
  • glossybl3
    Options
    Be true to yourself and keep track of what you're eating. Remember if you cheat yourself you'll never be successful :wink:
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna hate.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    BUMP!