Bally Total Fitness/LA Fitness takeover

Options

Replies

• RickXX
    Options
    Voltage. My contract does not specify a type. After reading it again, right above the types of contracts it specifies that my new contract for club access only applies to the home club where I originally joined, which was purchased by laf and will remain open. It's the only Ballys in Phoenix that is still open.
  • slazar77
    Options
    It seems like they will honor the lifetime memberships. Let's hope it's for real!

http://norristown.patch.com/articles/bally-s-customers-angry-after-memberships-cancelled-in-sale-to-la-fitness
  • kwadguy
    Options
    Even if LA Fitness honors the lifetime contracts, it will only be for LA Fitness clubs that used to be Bally's.

That doesn't help those of us who had their membership transferred to LA Fitness because their home club became LA Fitness, but who don't live anywhere near a LA Fitness.
  • Voltage_Spike
    Options
    Voltage. My contract does not specify a type. After reading it again, right above the types of contracts it specifies that my new contract for club access only applies to the home club where I originally joined, which was purchased by laf and will remain open. It's the only Ballys in Phoenix that is still open.

It specifies that under the "Note" section, right? Bally's customers only get blah, blah, blah unless they upgrade to one of the following membership types. Well, my Membership Type is listed as Premier, so I should be good. I wouldn't give up hope just yet. I haven't heard of any follow-up guidance to L.A. Fitness employees, but it seems to be entirely up to whomever you speak to.

(It also sounds like we have the same home club. It is a really nice facility (or was when I used to go there years ago), but it is simply too far away to be reasonable.)
  • I believe eventually they would have to honor the lifetime Ks if your home gym was taken over...but the managers, to get commissions, might have been misleading you into signing new contracts...now headquarters wants all inquiries referred to them...see this article
    http://upperdublin.patch.com/articles/la-fitness-we-re-honoring-lifetime-memberships

If you sign a new contract with LAFitness, you will lose all your rights from the prior Bally K, as the new contract would supercede it...THEREFORE READ EVERY WORD OF ANY NEW CONTRACT YOU ARE SIGNING...if they deny access if you don't sign on the spot...don't sign without reading the contract....even if you miss a workout.

Lets get more signatures on the Petition..

http://www.change.org/petitions/lafitness-honor-reduced-fee-lifetime-contracts-of-bally-members-after-billing-period

and if they do honor the lifetime Ks, it is not b/c of the goodness of their heart, it's because they are legally obligated to do so...

If anybody has the email for Paul Norris or a high ranking corporate weasel, please post or PM it to me so that we can get the Petition there once we get more signatures.
  • Here is another site that popped up,

http://ballyssuit.com/bAlly5/index.php?board=1.0

If anybody here is a member of that new site, please post the link to the Petition. Thanks
  • FloridaBiff
    Options
    If you live in Florida contact the Florida Department of Consumer Services to have them mail you a complaint form. They won't answer questions over the phone and instead say that each person must file an individual complaint. This can be done on the website or they will mail you a form to complete.

I suggest we all make copies of this form and distribute it to others.

The website is:

http://www.800helpfla.com/healthstudio_text.html

Telephone 800-435-7352
  • FloridaBiff
    Options
    Here's the latest update. I just spoke with L.A. Fitness. They have agreed to honor the Bally's contracts with choices.

For the month of December we can visit any of the L.A. Fitness Clubs. After that the choices are to continue to go to your "ex Bally's location" for the same contract price you were paying before or upgrade and go to L.A. Fitness. Their goal (as was quoted to me) is to get us up to a monthly rate of $19.99.
  • slazar77
    Options
    I don't think anything is changing; it's just talk. I went to work out yesterday and forgot my card. The guy working there was very kind, and said: "That's okay, i'll have to get you another card anyway. Please sign on the screen." The screen was not even legible. He said it was necessary for me to sign in order to get another card. I refused, requested to see it on his screen. IT WAS THE NEW MEMBERSHIP AGREEMENT! Basically i was going to acknowledge that my membership would expire at the renewal date. They tricked everyone in front of me into signing it. Once i saw what it was i told everyone else behind me what they were signing. Excuse my language, but they are complete *kitten*!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I don't think anything is changing; it's just talk. I went to work out yesterday and forgot my card. The guy working there was very kind, and said: "That's okay, i'll have to get you another card anyway. Please sign on the screen." The screen was not even legible. He said it was necessary for me to sign in order to get another card. I refused, requested to see it on his screen. IT WAS THE NEW MEMBERSHIP AGREEMENT! Basically i was going to acknowledge that my membership would expire at the renewal date. They tricked everyone in front of me into signing it. Once i saw what it was i told everyone else behind me what they were signing. Excuse my language, but they are complete *kitten*!
    Were you able to see any agreement amount though? I got a new card, and the printout shows my old ($50 a year) renewal rate as my October 2012 amount due.. Of course, like they said from the beginning, I can obly go to ex-Bally facilities after December, so I'm half-screwed anyway, because the only decent location near me already closed and my 'home club' is a dump that's going to be crammed with people in the same boat as me on January 1st.
  • RickXX
    Options
    I decided if laf was going to limit me on locations available to me, I might as well spend $25.00/mo. at a local gym with all the equipment I normally use that's only 5 min. from my front door. I knew at some point my dues of $95.00/yr. were going to disappear or the gym would go out of business. I'm not defending laf, but, if I have to pay the going rate, I'm going to support a local business that really needs my money.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I decided if laf was going to limit me on locations available to me, I might as well spend $25.00/mo. at a local gym with all the equipment I normally use that's only 5 min. from my front door. I knew at some point my dues of $95.00/yr. were going to disappear or the gym would go out of business. I'm not defending laf, but, if I have to pay the going rate, I'm going to support a local business that really needs my money.
    Can't blame you there. I'm doing the free month, then joining somewhere else as well. The "new" LAF I've been at the last week or so completely sucks. They don't have nearly enough cardio equipment to accommodate all the new members that are coming in, and in the mornings its so over-crowded, there's a line to take a shower and the hot water runs out if you don't get in there early enough...how frustrating!
  • Seraph1120
    Seraph1120 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I joined Bally's almost 2 yrs ago. Paid my cancellation fee up front and going month to month @ 19.99 a month. No contract. I still need to call them to find out my deal. I asked the front desk about it, but they said to ask again next week, that they didn't even know what was going on. I went to the gym the other day and they're already renovating the club. Took out the card scanners and we'll be getting cards for our key chains to be scanned in at the front desk. Other than that, we'll see as time goes.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Don't worry.
    Gym memberships are always affordable, and here is why.

You don't really have to pay the full price based on what it costs. Let me explain.

Most members pay up but don't come after the 3rd week of February. Oh, sure, everybody signs up like sheeple that first week of January out of holiday guilt; 2012 is going to be DIFFERENT!

And no, it won't be any different that 2011, 2010 or 1983, but be glad for all these slugs. They help keep all of our gym membership fees low, so please encourage all your friends and family to sign up at YOUR gym.

Say they can lose 30lbs in 30 days - whatever it takes to get them in, then once they sign up, forget they exist until late December of 2012.

I used to manage 2 health clubs; I know the silly game well....lol
  • keldawm
    keldawm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been a member of LA Fitness for years. We don't have Ballys in this area. I only pay 20 a month and that includes all classes, pool, racket ball courts and basketball courts. It is a very nice gym with great equipment. Hope it works out for you lifetime members.
  • kwadguy
    Options
    I saw a flyer today at my Bally's (one that isn't turning to LA Fitness):

"Special Offer: National access only $269. Includes access to all locations. Includes daycare. _No annual fee_. Hurry offer ends soon."

Anyone else seen this offer? Any idea what the terms are? I am guessing this is a come on and the "no annual fee" part means there's no annual fee on top of the monthly fee, or something like that. The suggestion is that it's $269 and you're done. But I surely doubt that.

The desk was flooded with people and I didn't have time to wait and ask for the details.
  • PP321
    PP321 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been a Bally Fitness membership that began a SportsLife Fitness national membership>Crunch Fitness Passport Plus>Bally Fitness

La Fitness tells me that it is a one club membership.at the location I purchased it and long time ago . I have moved since this and have used Bally Fitness locations in many places . I don't have any documentation except an old Bally invoice that shows it as "Crunch Passport Plus" in How can I convince La Fitness that it is a national access membership ?
  • kevinyoung_88
    Options
    The best gym is the one that provides you personal classes and give personal attention to every member. Also check for the equipments they have.
  • josephhamamji
    Options
    It has BEGUN - they are increasing the rate way too much = or - terminate your membership - Our GOLD membership should be reinstated FREE for LIFE – as it was initially supposed to be with NO further charges or hidden fine-print and NO unethical practices.
    We should demand refund PLUS Interest as it was charged on our credit cards or whatever form of payment we used on the cost of $1,850.00 USD back in 1990 24% compounded over the past 24 years. this was an INVESTMENT - We should contact the FTC & BBB... Thoughts ?