The "Olivia Method" - the cool new way to set up your MFP go

Options

Replies

• lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    bump I am very interested in trying this :) thanks!
  • hibiscus89
    hibiscus89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post. Can you please explain the significance / source of the factor of 1.3 for "lightly active"? Where does that come from? Does it work for everyone, or is it not applicable for someone with a sedentary desk job? It seems the only element of your calculation that isn't at least somewhat deterministic.
  • supermom4abcd
    supermom4abcd Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I'll definitely try it.
  • DBiggs23
    Options
    I think i may try this... thank you
  • austepants
    austepants Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Alright I could use some help! My BMR is 1404
    I'm 5'2 and weigh 156. right now MFP has me eating 1380 to lose 1 pound a week. I have 27 pounds to lose. I workout 5 times a week doing Jillian Michaels 30 DS, ripped in 30, horseback riding and short 25 minute runs. Where do I go from here not sure what my maintenance is and in addition to that I am thoroughly confused... Just got over a migrain
  • brookelyn2030
    brookelyn2030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump - thanks again, that helped alot, my calculations were wrong lol
  • WonderNoodle
    Options
    bump :flowerforyou:
  • AlexzKT
    AlexzKT Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Well I think it's great! And this was definitely a little clearer than the original post... which I was having a hard time wrapping my head around. This makes tons of sense. I agree, it will definitely be fun to have a more active role in my deficit. (I suppose I've always had a role, but being able to see my actual deficit will make things lots easier!)

Thanks so much for posting this (:
  • ansleya
    ansleya Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Bump...I think LOL

I have just started this journey (only 2 months here) and I am totally confused. Is this only for someone that is near their goal weight? I am far from that.

If not, then I can try this? And if so, then I don't understand what it means to have a deficit of calories? Or to "eat back" calories. Will someone take the time and explain it to me?

Sorry, I know I sound stupid.

I just want to understand the jargon a little better :wink:

~Ans~
  • lep_623
    lep_623 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I could use some help myself... I am 5'8 and weigh 311, I have a BMR 2,214. I work at a daycare so I am lightly active. I workout everyday pretty much, and usually burn between 500-1000 calories a day, sometimes more or less...Where do I go from here not sure what my maintenance is and in addition to that I am thoroughly confused...
  • 2live4ever79
    Options
    Bump...I'm gonna have read it a couple of times...but it sounds easy enough
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fairyfli
    Options
    I am bumping this to come back to it! Thanks for the idea!
  • olivia3263
    olivia3263 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your post. Can you please explain the significance / source of the factor of 1.3 for "lightly active"? Where does that come from? Does it work for everyone, or is it not applicable for someone with a sedentary desk job? It seems the only element of your calculation that isn't at least somewhat deterministic.

Sure. BMR x 1.3 is how my nutritionist found my maintenance calories. MFP uses something similar - i think 1.2 for sedentary, 1.375 for lightly active, 1.5, 1.7 etc. It seemed the standard for her to use. You could just use MFP's activity setting and that would probably work out fine. I think you have to experiment and see what works for you. I lost a little more than I should've last week (not that i'm complaining), according to my average deficit. Might have something to do with my activity level - but we'll see how it goes as the weeks progress.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing! How neat!
  • beckkotsch
    beckkotsch Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Bump