The "Olivia Method" - the cool new way to set up your MFP go

Options

Replies

• dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Okay I need help figuring this out. My weight now is 177 and my BMR is 1345. I am a 53 year old female. I am 5'1". MFP has me at 1480 calories a day. I am a waitress. I don't excersise a whole lot during the winter. (during warm times of year I walk 3 miles a day, 3 or 4 days a week) I have bought an elliptical lately and a cardio fit machine, but so far I can only do about 2 to 5 minutes a day on the cardio fit and about 2 to 5 minutes on the elliptical. I hope to go longer on these machines as soon as I can. Please help me figure this out.
    Thank you in advance!
    Doris
  • mamaDaisyJ
    Options
    Thanks for this. I like the idea of seeing all that green, might be more motivating. Will be giving it a try and let ya know how it goes :)
  • dorisholaway
    dorisholaway Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    bump, although I really don't know where to find it when I bump it. Someone please help me figure this out. Thanks.
  • Jessibear2854
    Jessibear2854 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    OK. I've been thinking about this all day and here's what I've come up with:

I weigh 155 lbs and my BMR is 1435 cals. Maintenance is 1790. So I set my goal to maintenance and my activity level to sedentary. My goal will be to eat around 1435 leaving me a deficit of 355 on non-workout days. If I burn more than 645 cals in exercise I need to eat more, but this is where I'm stuck.

Two questions:
    1. How in the world are you people burning 600 calories or more in exercise per day? I never burn that much (that I know of - I don't have a HRM).
    2. So say I burn 700 cals in exercise, how many cals do I need to eat at that point?

This is a super interesting method! I'm excited :)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tbhoover
    tbhoover Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Already done from your other post, but bumping for different wording :p
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    I have a Q system. :flowerforyou:

What's that?
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    OK. I've been thinking about this all day and here's what I've come up with:

I weigh 155 lbs and my BMR is 1435 cals. Maintenance is 1790. So I set my goal to maintenance and my activity level to sedentary. My goal will be to eat around 1435 leaving me a deficit of 355 on non-workout days. If I burn more than 645 cals in exercise I need to eat more, but this is where I'm stuck.

Two questions:
    1. How in the world are you people burning 600 calories or more in exercise per day? I never burn that much (that I know of - I don't have a HRM).
    2. So say I burn 700 cals in exercise, how many cals do I need to eat at that point?

This is a super interesting method! I'm excited :)

I burn 600 in a hard one hour training session at swimming. Easy, I do use a HRM though.

If you set your "target" to maintenance, the calories remaining should be less than 1000 at the end of the day.
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    Too much for my brain.

Same here.

It's simple once you get your head around it :smile:
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    Cool beans so what do u do if u r only taking in 1000 cals a day...lol;) I'm already creating a deficit...with no exercise I usually lose .4-.6lbs a day...but I want to lose more...I'm 5'7.5 and currently 220.2lbs

What do you do? Eat more!! Olivia is saying that your body needs a minimum intake of your BMR to function properly, and that your maximum deficit should be 1000.

Based on the OP, you are losing weight unhealthily by not providing your body it's basic nutrients.
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    I could use some help myself... I am 5'8 and weigh 311, I have a BMR 2,214. I work at a daycare so I am lightly active. I workout everyday pretty much, and usually burn between 500-1000 calories a day, sometimes more or less...Where do I go from here not sure what my maintenance is and in addition to that I am thoroughly confused...

Set your goal on MFP to maintain not lose. Log like you have been, have your intake be greater than your BMR and have your remaining calories be less than 1000.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I've changed my goals, but I just realized - does this not mess with your carb etc. numbers?
  • Rachiepie6
    Options
    I've changed my goals, but I just realized - does this not mess with your carb etc. numbers?
    Yes and no. I never REALLY stick to my macros anyway (except sodium). If you are worried, you could change your goal to what you want to check your macros and then switch back. Just an idea.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    i saw your post yesterday, and today I had a proper look at this one and your other one.

I have now set it up the olivia way. thanks.
  • thatbondchick
    thatbondchick Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I might have to give this a try.
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lilah808
    Options
    I think I will really like this method. I like the ability of seeing my daily deficit. I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for posting this. :-)
  • naomi8888
    naomi8888 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    bump:smile: