Why do you want to lose weight?

Options
DisneyAddictRW
DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
My top three reasons:
1. Show my children good eating habits
2. Be healthy
3. Be in photos not the one taking pictures!

Replies

• boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    cause i was getting fat. i didnt like the way i looked or the way i felt.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    1. i was depressed with how i looked and where my health was going
    2. to look hot and buy that bikini
    3. so that i can be healthy enough to have a baby
  • crazysoccermom
    Options
    Tired of being tired!
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    1. i have pcos
    2. i want to have kids someday and if i dont it wont happen
    3. i hate the way i look
    4. i want more options in the guy department
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    1. I wanna look good for my my fictitious husband LOL
    2. I love how I feel when I'm strong, I hold myself better.
    3. I want to have more confidence
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    because I want to be healthy
    prove to myself I can do this!
    and look AWESOME on my wedding day!
  • lkidgell
    Options
    the main reason is because im tired of not feeling good about myself, but im also getting married, and i want to look amazing on my big day! :)
  • westcoastSW
    westcoastSW Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    1. Good health and reducing risk for heart disease/hypertension/diabetes
    2. To develop a healthier lifestyle and living habits (eating reasonably well, exercising regularly)
    3. Totally selfish and superficial, but I'm getting married next summer and I want to look fantastic!
  • driaxx
    driaxx Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Because the food I eat is basically the only thing I have total control over in life.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    My body hurt every morning when I got out of bed, for no reason.
    I was the largest I had ever been.
    I was unhappy with how I'd let myself go.

I now no longer hurt every morning.
    I've lost 14 pounds, and one clothing size so far.
    I'm exercising which has given me energy and improved my thinking on working out in general.

Oh, yah and I am much happier!
    :laugh:
  • DisneyAddictRW
    Options
    Because the food I eat is basically the only thing I have total control over in life.

True! I never thought of it that way!
  • weightofyourskin
    Options
    Partly for health reasons - I have a family history of diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure.

But really mostly it's because I want to be okay with how I look. I have no idea how I gained all this weight. As a child I was really thin, and in my teens I was a size 6. Then I woke up at age 20 and somehow I was in the 180-pound range and a size 12. In May 2010 I took a course in Florence, Italy and I winced whenever any of my friends posted photos because I just looked so horrible in each one, all double chin and muffin top and rolls... it actually made me cry once and I decided something had to change.

It's been a struggle for me lose weight - I'm only down 10 pounds total - but I am enjoying eating healthy (most of the time...) and working out, so I am going to keep at it!
  • westcoastSW
    Options

Unfortunately that's also a major mantra of people with anorexia. I don't mean to incriminate anyone, but if you truly believe the above statement, I would recommend seeking help.
  • tsegears
    Options
    1. I'm sick of the reflection I see in the store windows.
    2. I'm sick of seeing clothing filling my closets that I cannot get into.
    3. I want to look give myself the best chance of a healthly life.
    4. I want to want to look great when I turn 55 years old in April!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    Options

Unfortunately that's also a major mantra of people with anorexia. I don't mean to incriminate anyone, but if you truly believe the above statement, I would recommend seeking help.

I just thought it was a neat way of looking at it. Not anorexia but I do control what I put in my mouth so I can control it. Including when I choose to grab junk food or when I choose veggies. Don't think that requires me get help. I just see is a different way.
  • westcoastSW
    Options

I just thought it was a neat way of looking at it. Not anorexia but I do control what I put in my mouth so I can control it. Including when I choose to grab junk food or when I choose veggies. Don't think that requires me get help. I just see is a different way.
    I understand where you're coming from and didn't mean to insinuate that you personally should get help; I was more referring to the original poster of that comment and others who frequently use such phrases. I agree with your perspective on having total control over what we eat. It's just that a major root of anorexia and eating disorders is a sense of a lack of control, to the point where people can starve themselves just to show that they have control over one thing in their lives. In a healthy reality, we have control over so much more in our lives, in addition to food. :flowerforyou:
  • DisneyAddictRW
    Options

I understand where you're coming from and didn't mean to insinuate that you personally should get help; I was more referring to the original poster of that comment and others who frequently use such phrases. I agree with your perspective on having total control over what we eat. It's just that a major root of anorexia and eating disorders is a sense of a lack of control, to the point where people can starve themselves just to show that they have control over one thing in their lives. In a healthy reality, we have control over so much more in our lives, in addition to food. :flowerforyou:

After posting and re-reading I thought I should go back and respond. I didn't think you personally were saying me but can see how it could be seen the way you read it. I just hope it's not how some see it. Life is totally crazy (you should see my crazy life) and so etimes it would be nice if I could control more of the things that happen. But then what fun would that be! Sry I jumped so quick to respond. Moody week!
  • westcoastSW
    Options

After posting and re-reading I thought I should go back and respond. I didn't think you personally were saying me but can see how it could be seen the way you read it. I just hope it's not how some see it. Life is totally crazy (you should see my crazy life) and so etimes it would be nice if I could control more of the things that happen. But then what fun would that be! Sry I jumped so quick to respond. Moody week!
    No worries at all, I just wanted to clarify. I just cringe when I see statements on MFP that are typical of eating disorders. I have worked with a number of clients with eating disorders, and they are just devastating stories. I also love and swear by MFP, and I hate to see it being used to perpetuate eating disorders.
    Side note -- sorry for hijacking your thread! I'm all about hearing people's motivations to lose weight as long as they aren't aiming for an unhealthily low weight!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    Options

No worries at all, I just wanted to clarify. I just cringe when I see statements on MFP that are typical of eating disorders. I have worked with a number of clients with eating disorders, and they are just devastating stories. I also love and swear by MFP, and I hate to see it being used to perpetuate eating disorders.
    Side note -- sorry for hijacking your thread! I'm all about hearing people's motivations to lose weight as long as they aren't aiming for an unhealthily low weight!
    No worries! Actually did me a favor and reminded me to stop and think before speaking. I have been blessed to never had a friend or family member struggle with an eating disorder. Scary thing Nd hope I don't have to experience it with any of them. I agree mfp is awesome And when used correctly it does work!
  • jlchow
    jlchow Posts: 40
    Options
    Because learning French didn't make girls like me. :cry:

True story.