Oatmeal??

Options
Okay so I love oatmeal but I love it with "brown sugar" any healthy ideas to make it still yummy but not to blah tasting??

Replies

• maaadde
    maaadde Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    add some vanilla protein powder :)
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    cinnamon and raisins (or your dried fruit of choice)
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    If you are doing plain oats (steel cut, natural) I add a little bit of apple sauce. It helps cool it down, and add some flavor, for not very many cals.
  • hojo94
    hojo94 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit? maybe some dried fruit?
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I usually add a banana or apple, and sometimes nuts. Cinnamon, ginger, and brown sugar are pretty standard for me. I added pumpkin once, but didn't like it as well.
  • mishmash73
    mishmash73 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i notice that a little bit of 'salt' makes it taste better when i season myself vs using quaker oats. I use steel cut oats vs instant & then add raisins & either maple syrup or some brown sugar.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Honey? better for you than sugar apparently.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    1 tbsp of natural peanut butter, 1 tbsp of low fat sweetened condensed milk and a small banana sliced into it; depending on the oatmeal it comes out to less than 400 cals!
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    If you are anti-artificial sweetners, look away now!

I put sugar free syrup in my oatmeal, along with a spoonful of peanut butter. It's delicious!
  • Boo_08
    Boo_08 Posts: 102
    Options
    a bit of honey.
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    I use different fruits....and always make it with vanilla almond milk, sweetens it up.
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    chobani yogurt
    fruit
    bannana with pumkin filling
    raisons -cinnamon
    granola
    low fat cottage cheese-chives
    laughing cow
    sugar free fruit preserves
    crushed low fat grahm cracker with tsp honey and bit chobani vanilla yogart..yummm eating that now-cheers
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    AGAVE syrup. You can find it @ Trader Joes. Yes, same stuff tequila is made of, yet so different as a syrup. It has a low GI, 60 calories per tablespoon. One tablespoon is enough to sweeten a 1/2 dry oatmeal serving. I just had it this morning! :happy:
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Okay so I love oatmeal but I love it with "brown sugar" any healthy ideas to make it still yummy but not to blah tasting??

I eat oatmeal most every morning from McDonald's without brown sugar I add one pack of Stevia or Truvia, it also has apples, raisins mixed with it.. So good..Ops and So Healthy as well.
  • LeggieMeggie
    Options
    My nutritionist prefers I use agave nectar instead of sugar or artificial sweeteners. It has the same amount of calories as sugar, but it's sweeter, so you use less. It also has a slightly lower glycemic index, if that's something you count. I usually use a tablespoon of agave nectar and a dash of salt to get the sweet and salty together. It's delicious!

Here's an ariticle if you're interested: http://blog.fooducate.com/2010/01/17/eight-facts-about-agave-nectar/
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Splenda brown sugar mix, dried fruit (raisins a favorite) or those sugar free coffee syrups. I'm ok with Splenda..
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    3lb hersey bar! (j/k!) :)

I was eating the steal cut oats and using a bit of natural rasberry syrup (little high on the cals) but it cuts the taste of the oatmeal.. just not that tasty honestly. but it helped sweeten it up. I usually just eat the normal oatmeal and that has a bit more/less cardboardy taste to it.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I put vanilla protein powder, cinnamon and natural peanut butter in my oatmeal. In addition I make it with almond milk instead of water.
  • MSH63
    MSH63 Posts: 19
    Options
    I love eating oatmeal for my morning breakfast. I like to use dry natural oats from the can and not the pre-packaged oatmeal (has other ingredients not needed..ie:sugar etc.) To sweeten it up and make it taste good, I use frozen mixed berries as toppers (get at Sam's Club) and also use a touch of natural honey or low fat whipped cream to sweeten as well. Much healthier and lower in calories and fat. Scott
  • bhawkins0711
    bhawkins0711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    If you are anti-artificial sweetners, look away now!

I put sugar free syrup in my oatmeal, along with a spoonful of peanut butter. It's delicious!

Me too! It's fabulous!