Oatmeal??

Options

Replies

• Cordy_in_CT
    Cordy_in_CT Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    AGAVE syrup. You can find it @ Trader Joes. Yes, same stuff tequila is made of, yet so different as a syrup. It has a low GI, 60 calories per tablespoon. One tablespoon is enough to sweeten a 1/2 dry oatmeal serving. I just had it this morning! :happy:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS!!! Plus I add cinnamon too, and a little fat free milk. Delicious and keeps me going until lunch time!!!!!!!:wink:
  • NeedANewFocus
    NeedANewFocus Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    i usually add one or two packets of splenda, depending on the serving size, and any combination of fresh berries!
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Half an apple and sprinkled cinnamon. Best breakfast I can think of. So delicious.
  • Kris10can
    Options
    BLUEBERRIES!!! :)
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    brown sugar and peanut butter. It tastes like peanut butter oatmeal cookies.
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of steel-cut oats on Sundays:

1 cup steel-cuts
    4 cups water
    a dash of salt
    a dash of cinnamon
    a dash of cacao powder

place in 300 - 310 degree oven
    stir every 20 minutes until water is absorbed (usually takes 3 or 4 stirrings)

then in the mornings I dish out some to take to work and doctor with:
    more dashes of cinnamon and cacao powder
    1 tablespoon raw coconut crystals
    1 pat of butter
    1/3 cup of frozen wild blueberries or 1 frozen banana

here's a link to a blogger who's elevated oatmeal to an art form: http://www.katheats.com/
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Why can't you use brown sugar? Just measure it out & count the calories. Don't deny yourself what you like. Make it work.
  • smiles4support
    Options
    i use a 1/2 tsp of stevia or cinnamon & a splash of vanilla soy milk......works for me & some blueberries if i have them
  • tbrewst
    tbrewst Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    brown sugar and peanut butter. It tastes like peanut butter oatmeal cookies.

YUM! This sounds wonderful, I will have to try it. I use plain oatmeal cooked with water, then add a little fat free milk, brown sugar splenda and cinnamon. Brown sugar splenda has the same GI as agave so don't let sugar haters tell you it's bad. I also love my steel cut oats cooked overnight in the crock pot. I use lots of water and then season the same as above. And don't skimp on the steel cut oats. I tried quaker oats one time and they have a terrible after taste.
  • kerramarie
    kerramarie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bump! I love oatmeal with raisins/cinnamon/honey, but that can get old so I'm always looking for new recipes!
  • sugartwist
    sugartwist Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Love all the many ways to make oatmeal and that blog was heaven sent. Thanks!
  • JMCade
    JMCade Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Found a crock pot recipe for oatmeal and it turned out pretty good.
    2 cups steel cut oats
    8 cups water
    1/3 cup dried cranberries
    1/3 cup dried apricots, diced
    1 tsp. salt
    cook on low 7-8 hours.
    I drizzled honey and sprinkled cinnamon in mine too. Good and good for you!
  • TempeB
    TempeB Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the big batches of steel-cut oats for several years, and my regular addition is a half-handful of dried berries, either golden raisins or else Trader Joe's orange-flavored cranberries. I also add a teaspoon of pumpkin spice (my own formula that I mix up). I don't get bored with it, and it keeps me feeling satisfied for hours.
  • TMcK17
    Options
    Bananas are delicious too.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i like raw honey with oatmeal.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Add fresh fruit instead of sugar for sweetness.
    This morning I had porridge (oatmeal) made from rolled oats, skim milk, peanut butter and a small banana mashed up. A bit of cinnamon on top is yummy too.
    My other favourites are apple or pear, grated or chopped up small.
  • Julieothree
    Julieothree Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I always add a tablespoon of peanut butter... it adds protein and keeps you full for hours!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats with Splenda brown sugar...
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin+cinnamon+1/2oz cream cheese

Peanut butter+Low Sugar Preserves
  • jeanie_ca
    jeanie_ca Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    pinch of salt always, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and sliced toasted almonds.