Worst Protagonists (Lead Character) in Novels

Options
ajfrench
ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
For those of you who read a ton, who is the worst protagonist and from which book is she/he? I'd have to say Bella Swan...God, what a simpering, useless character.

Replies

• TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    For those of you who read a ton, who is the worst protagonist and from which book is she/he? I'd have to say Bella Swan...God, what a simpering, useless character.

Yep.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

Yep.

I could have told her having a baby with a vampire was a bad idea. But she never asked, and I wasn't paying attention.....
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    She is not as bad in the book as in the movie but yeah your right. Edward makes me sick too.
  • noexcuses1218
    noexcuses1218 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    *deleted because i don't really want to be hateful today - suffice to say i agree*
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!!!
    I have never read the books and reading this makes me laugh so hard. From what I have seen and heard I am turned off by the series.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    when i first saw the title of this thread i was like OMG BELLA! don't get me wrong, i love the books, and i think the story is great. but she needs to grow a backbone and not be so helpless. i found myself irritated throughout most of the first 2 books thinking she was a horrible role model for young girls.
  • allofourdreams
    allofourdreams Posts: 107 Member
    Options

agreed. Edward and her are the most annoying couple ever.
  • demonid
    demonid Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'll say Emma, from . . . . . Emma. I'm reading it right now, and I just want to smack the little twit.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Oh my god. I saw this topic and immediately went to reply "Bella Swan". This made my day. (For the record, I only read it because as a middle school teacher I make sure I'm reading the popular stuff going around.) Ugh.
  • ajfrench
    Options
    I'm glad you all agree! And to you that said she's a bad role model for young women - amen to that. I coach girls ages 9-18 and I'd rather hear about Katniss (from the Hunger Games) -- who KILLS people -- rather than lifeless Bella.
  • MelissaRaeTerry
    MelissaRaeTerry Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Oh gahd yes! Bella is so so sooo annoying, but I also find Edward annoying....
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I agree that Bella Swan is a terrible protagonist. I hate those books in general for young girls. Here's this moody, brooding, whiny, depressed girl who mopes around and somehow has guys falling at her feet (yeah right). And her ultimate choice in boyfriends is between a creep who is mean to her, pushes her away, and then turns to stalking her and doesn't trust her to make her own decisions, OR a bully who gets in fights and pushes her around and demands that she do what he wants her to do. She ultimately yearns to completely change who she is (by becoming DEAD) and throw away all her family and friends to be with the creepy stalker. Yeah, awesome character-building there.
  • cNhobbes
    cNhobbes Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    oh and Oscar Wao from "The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao." I didn't even finish the book. 3/4 through it i was like "oh good lord just off yourself already" (oscar is unfortunately suicidal) and stopped reading.
  • LadyGhostDuchess
    LadyGhostDuchess Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Lydia Ivanova from The Russian Concubine.
    The title of the book is totally miss leading and the main character just does not suck you in! But it has been about three years since I started to read the book - who knows, maybe my opinion has changed on it...but still.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    :grumble: BELLA- OMG I hate that whinning simpering little twit. She is not a roll model and teaching young girls that when your boyfriend leaves you you should do more and more dangerous things just to get his attention is one of the worst things ever. I almost killed my ex-husbands girlfriend when I found out she left my 7 yr old duaghter watch the first movie grrrrrr. :mad:

I dont know if anybody else reads this series but I also cant stand Faile and Perrin from wheel of time. Love the series but something about them together makes me want to hit things.
  • PeaceLuvVeggies
    PeaceLuvVeggies Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    How did I know this topic was started to say how "awful" Bella Swan is >_<
  • demonid
    demonid Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Another really twisted character is Lui from Snakes and Earrings. She's so self destructive, it's painful....but an interesting read.
  • ajfrench
    Options
    How about Humbert Humbert, the creepy pedophile in "Lolita."
  • SeanIsMyHomeboy
    SeanIsMyHomeboy Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I read this quote a few days ago during an argument regarding Twilight Vs Harry Potter Series. Sometimes this quote is contributed to Stephen King. Some say its not. Either way, whoever said this was very accurate.

"Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity… Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.”

Owned.
  • MelissaRaeTerry
    MelissaRaeTerry Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I agree, reading the first two books Bella was helpless and "couldn't: survive without edward! I love strong female characters and good role models!