Worst Protagonists (Lead Character) in Novels

Options

Replies

• Demwitted
    Options
    For those of you who read a ton, who is the worst protagonist and from which book is she/he? I'd have to say Bella Swan...God, what a simpering, useless character.

I totally, utterly, irrevocably, psychotically, forensically agree. My favorite past-time at the moment is ripping on Twilight. lol.

I also disliked the main protagonists in A Clockwork Orange and Cat's Cradle just because they were so very unlikable. I could not relate to or sympathize with them at all. I still thought they were ok books though. I am in no way equating these books to the train-wreck that is the Twilight saga.
  • Demwitted
    Options
    I read this quote a few days ago during an argument regarding Twilight Vs Harry Potter Series. Sometimes this quote is contributed to Stephen King. Some say its not. Either way, whoever said this was very accurate.

"Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity… Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.”

Owned.

I am best bros with a HP addict. King did not say this, although it is true. King did say that the difference between Stephenie Meyer and JK Rowling is that Rowling can write.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    LMAO!!!!
    I have never read the books and reading this makes me laugh so hard. From what I have seen and heard I am turned off by the series.

Same here. :)
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    when i first saw the title of this thread i was like OMG BELLA! don't get me wrong, i love the books, and i think the story is great. but she needs to grow a backbone and not be so helpless. i found myself irritated throughout most of the first 2 books thinking she was a horrible role model for young girls.

AGREE!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Humbert Humbert from Lolita, closely followed by Ignatius J. Reilly from A confederacy of Dunces. No redeeming qualities in either character, although IJR is funny, at least.
    IJR is funny. But that brings up a worthy question: does being funny - even if being laughed at, or even ridiculed - qualify as a redeeming quality? I'm going to say yes, especially if you take the definition of "redeeming" to be compensation or replacement of something else missing. By that definition, even despicable Humbert has redeeming qualities in that he is interesting.

As a reader, yes, but were I able to transport myself into the books, and be a character alongside them, I would find them neither funny, nor interesting. I guess it depends on the context in which we are examining them.

Also, I like commas.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I read this quote a few days ago during an argument regarding Twilight Vs Harry Potter Series. Sometimes this quote is contributed to Stephen King. Some say its not. Either way, whoever said this was very accurate.

"Harry Potter is all about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity… Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend.”

Owned.

I am best bros with a HP addict. King did not say this, although it is true. King did say that the difference between Stephenie Meyer and JK Rowling is that Rowling can write.

Love it!
  • Pandahead
    Pandahead Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Owned.

Owned again! LOL

Aside from Bella? Nothing jumps immediately to mind. There were several books in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series where I didn't like Rand Al'thor (the main "hero" of the series). His whiny-ness was getting on my nerves. Fortunately, he grew out of it (for lack of a better descriptor).
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Humbert Humbert from Lolita, closely followed by Ignatius J. Reilly from A confederacy of Dunces. No redeeming qualities in either character, although IJR is funny, at least.
    IJR is funny. But that brings up a worthy question: does being funny - even if being laughed at, or even ridiculed - qualify as a redeeming quality? I'm going to say yes, especially if you take the definition of "redeeming" to be compensation or replacement of something else missing. By that definition, even despicable Humbert has redeeming qualities in that he is interesting.

That's what I was thinking. I've never read these, but funny is a redeeming quality in my book...pun intended :)
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Bella is top pick, but... Scarlett O'Hara.

Yes, she faced things she never thought she'd have to face, and did things she never thought she'd do, and as God as her witness, she never went hungry again, but... another brainless twit with screwed up ideas about love and relationships. And over ASHLEY? Barf!!!

Mammy and Belle Watling, on the other hand... now THEY were some tough women!

Oh yes, totally agree. I LOVED reading GWTW, but seriously? Stealing your sister's fiance just to make the ambiguously gay Ashley jealous (FAIL). Then just whimpering and whining over that twit instead of tackling Rhett to the floor and having your way. (oh wait, that's what I would have done)

yea, I would be Belle's friend over Scarlett any day.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Catherine and Heathcliff, Wuthering Heights. Just.... Everything about them.

the bronte sisters only existed to make ppl forever link suicidal depression and "twu wub" oh, sure, the greeks started it - good try, Medea - but the Brontes PERFECTED it.

i once read a "dating game" fic where the 3 batchelors were Heathcliff, Edward Rochester, and Mr Darcy. it was hysterical.

"to all the batchelors: what are your worst qualities?"

heathcliff: "drunken insanity and murderous tendancies"
    Rochester: "bigomy, unlawful imprisonment and insanity"
    Darcy: "... i can be a bit judgemental"
    This sounds like a book I would enjoy. I do enjoy the Bronte gals aside from Wuthering Heights.

Oh! Another one, Hagar from The Stone Angel by Margaret Laurence. A lovely little Canadian lit gem that made me want to cut myself with the pages and bleed to death. Thanks for that, Grade 12 English class.

And I'm not sure whom I like least, Hamlet, or Ophelia for killing herself over him.

And Hero, from Much Ado About Nothing. The dude accused you of cheating and you're not angry?!?! Dump him!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

You beat me! I read this in high school and they were the first characters that came to mind! Oh, and Bella, lol.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    Right there with you on the Bella thing...although, I vastly prefer her character in the books to her character in the movies. I just can't stand the movies
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    Mr. Rochester from Jane Eyre always ticked me off too.
  • emaline614
    emaline614 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just finished reading the Hunger Games series... and Katniss is an excellent character.

Bella on the other hand... not so much.
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options

the bronte sisters only existed to make ppl forever link suicidal depression and "twu wub" oh, sure, the greeks started it - good try, Medea - but the Brontes PERFECTED it.

i once read a "dating game" fic where the 3 batchelors were Heathcliff, Edward Rochester, and Mr Darcy. it was hysterical.

"to all the batchelors: what are your worst qualities?"

heathcliff: "drunken insanity and murderous tendancies"
    Rochester: "bigomy, unlawful imprisonment and insanity"
    Darcy: "... i can be a bit judgemental"
    [/quote]

Ok serious question, why all the Stephanie Meyer hate when the Bronte's have ruined 11th & 12th grade English for everyone? I didn't read Catcher in the Eye until after college, so I think Holden Caulfield needs to be punched in the face, with a shark fin that was dipped in hot sauce. Who else do I hate? Oddly enough, Marcus Brutus. Who stabs their friends because their other friends want to stab them? Esp when Cassius would probably do a crappier job than Caesar.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Right there with you on the Bella thing...although, I vastly prefer her character in the books to her character in the movies. I just can't stand the movies

I kind of love the movies. Like in a so-bad-it's-awesome kind of way. My husband and I watch them when we get free HBO previews and predict the storylines (I only read the first book). It would be a fun drinking game if we played drinking games.

Whoever said Esther Greenwood, THANK YOU. Ok, so I love The Bell Jar in a sick way, but if I actually knew that person, I'd probably really not be a fan.

I don't have a long list of unlikeable protagonists because if I hate the person I'm reading about, I generally don't finish the book. So... I don't remember.
  • hoppinglark
    hoppinglark Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    130809420593.jpg
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Not sure who sounds worse, Bella or Edward. But either way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwM3GvaTRM
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    A-feakin'-men!!!!!
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    P.S. I am SO glad I'm not alone on the Holden Caulfield hate parade...I don't care much for the book itself and that douche just made it doubly worse for me.