How late is too late to eat?

LilMizDetermined
LilMizDetermined Posts: 174 Member
I keep trying to figure this out. I do a lot of evening work out classes that last from 7-8 pm. There's no way I can eat before them (I would puke...) but I don't know how "ok" it is to eat that late after them?? I do need to make sure I eat enough to replinish myself otherwise I feel like crap so simply "eating less" isn't really an option...

Any suggestions?

Replies

• kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Never to late to eat! It's simply calories in vs. calories out. I eat at all hours...and usually include wine in there, too!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    I keep trying to figure this out. I do a lot of evening work out classes that last from 7-8 pm. There's no way I can eat before them (I would puke...) but I don't know how "ok" it is to eat that late after them?? I do need to make sure I eat enough to replinish myself otherwise I feel like crap so simply "eating less" isn't really an option...

Any suggestions?

Eating late will not negatively effect your metabolism or weight gain provided we are keeping calories the same when comparing it to early eating.

I recommend just hitting your end-of-day targets and structure your meal timing around personal preference and gym performance.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    It's never too late to eat. Eat right before bed if you like. Sometimes I eat in bed.....just have to watch the crumbs LOL
  • czechsmate
    czechsmate Posts: 556 Member
    Eat after...the time does not matter really, it's basically calories in vs calories burned. I have lots of nights where we don't eat dinner until 8 or better!
  • tchrnmommy
    tchrnmommy Posts: 342 Member
    I'm sure "sidesteal" will come in but when I ask this questions...the response is collectively.... IT'S NOT...as long as you are within your caloric limits...do what you need to

EDIT:
    AH....he beat me to it! LOL There were no responses when I answered! LOL
  • In general, you're supposed to stop eating 1.5-2 hours before you go to bed so you don't disrupt sleep patterns (which is important for weight loss). When your metabolism is up and running, it will prevent your bodily functions from shutting down and prevent you from entering the REM sleep stage.
  • BellaGyrlK
    BellaGyrlK Posts: 6 Member
    My suggestion would be to eat. I also tried the late classes and then not eating and my body just couldn't handle it. I think that's why I love myfitnesspal because no matter how late it is, if you have calories left you should eat!
  • Savemyshannon
    Savemyshannon Posts: 334 Member
    I've always functioned without using a set "bed time" for food, and instead going by my own personal schedule. For example, on workdays, I don't get to bed until 4 am! So it's just impossible for me to stop eating at 8 pm.

My personal rule I use (I'm not sure if this is the 'right' way to do it, but it works for me!) is to stop eating 1-2 hours before I go to bed, but this rule can bend based on what you're eating. Greens, fruits, and liquids (smoothies) are digested faster, so you can probably get away with eating some of that an hour before bed. However, a heavy, fatty meal with lots of protein will take much longer to digest, so you probably should space that out before bed.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Eat when you can, workout when you can.
  • There is no magic time after which the body stores fat. For instance, if you eat the same exact meal at 6 pm or at 8 pm, is one more caloric than the other? No, each meal has the same number of calories. What really matters is the total amount of food and drink you have over the course of a week, or a month or longer, and how much energy you expend during that timeframe. Excess calories will be stored as fat over time, regardless of whether they are taken in during the day or night.

When it comes to eating late at night and the potential for weight gain, there are several considerations:

Portion sizes — waiting to eat could lead to consuming larger portion sizes
    Quality of food — after a long day of work or school, a few slices of pizza or a fast burger may seem easier than steamed vegetables and broiled fish
    "Mindless snacking" — evenings spent studying, out on the town, or watching TV may lead to excess calories from fast, sugary, on-the-go options
    Health concerns — consistent periods of going without food followed by a large meal can negatively impact the interaction between blood sugar and insulin and make you more vulnerable to Type 2 diabetes.

So, to settle the debate, late-night calories won't change your metabolism or magically count more than calories eaten during the day. However, limiting late-night meals and snacks may be an effective weight management strategy for some because it helps them to control their overall calorie intake. Some people find that if they set a time that they can't eat past, it helps minimize or eliminate the possibility of munching on a lot of high calorie foods. Another useful tip may to be to eat 4 or 5 smaller meals and snacks spread evenly throughout the day so you don't become overly hungry at any point. Following these tips can keep your energy levels consistent for work and play and can provide some long-term benefits to help you reduce your chances for diabetes or other health issues.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member
    Eat whenever you want, stay within your calories. You will get into a routine. I always eat after workouts, regardless of the time of day. It's a myth that you have to stop eating at some magical hour.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    There's no specific time which is bad to eat. As long as you hit your targets at the end of the day you'll be fine :)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    When you're already asleep
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,333 Member
    In general, you're supposed to stop eating 1.5-2 hours before you go to bed so you don't disrupt sleep patterns (which is important for weight loss). When your metabolism is up and running, it will prevent your bodily functions from shutting down and prevent you from entering the REM sleep stage.
    Can you back this up? This sounds wrong to me.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    I think that unless you have reflux issues the only time it's "too late" is after you're already asleep. It makes a mess of your bed. :wink:

In all seriousness - meal timing is irrelevant - unless you have reflux and/or have issues with compulsive eating at night.

Personally, I sleep best when my tummy is full. I think the TEF is like an electric blankie :tongue:
  • I'm sorry, but all of these people telling you "it doesn't matter" are comepletly wrong. I just learned about this in my physio class and there have been countless studies done on this matter. It does matter - see my previous post.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    It's never too late to eat. Just eat protein and fat not carbs. Cottage cheese is good because the Casein protein is slower digesting so i feeds your muscles while you sleep. Eggs are also a good choice. Sometimes I have a casein protein shake. but the main thing is stay away from a lot of carbs.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    In general, you're supposed to stop eating 1.5-2 hours before you go to bed so you don't disrupt sleep patterns (which is important for weight loss). When your metabolism is up and running, it will prevent your bodily functions from shutting down and prevent you from entering the REM sleep stage.

this was a myth that has been busted. There is no "magic" time to stop. Eat when you are hungry.
  • pander101
    pander101 Posts: 677 Member
    The whole not eating 2-3 hours before bed is a myth. You can eat anytime. If you're hungry eat :) I workout around 7-10pm at night because of my classes so I eat after and go to sleep not long after that and have had no problem.
  • In general, you're supposed to stop eating 1.5-2 hours before you go to bed so you don't disrupt sleep patterns (which is important for weight loss). When your metabolism is up and running, it will prevent your bodily functions from shutting down and prevent you from entering the REM sleep stage.
    Can you back this up? This sounds wrong to me.

We just learned about this in my Physio class. I'll find the chapter in my textbook and quote it for you
This discussion has been closed.