how many of you are grammar nazis?

Options
124»

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    What really bothers me is when people try to correct others, yet make egregious mistakes while doing it.

Good word
  • nrimas
    nrimas Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've got to say that this is one of the funniest topics I've read on MFP in a long time... Thanks for the entertainment!! I wonder if arguing about punctuation burns any calories...??
    Ha! I read one today about 100 calorie canned soup that got really crazy!

My RN Instructor was lecturing on traction and did not know the difference between taut and taunt. UGH. Those poor patients. I feel so petty. I'm not a Nazi; seriously, how can you even say that peacefully?
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    If it's a friend of mine, and I'm feeling particularly snarky, I'll call them out on it. Otherwise, I think it's a sad way to win an argument.

I also tire of the never-ending rants about bad grammar/spelling/punctuation. I read grammar books for pleasure. But not everyone gives a rat's *kitten* about it.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    comics,english,fun-56785ed056170cae445f6dbc2d6eca1b_i.jpg
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the occasional spelling mistake or the confusion between the word lose and loose...but when it comes to shortening of words then yes I want to go all Nazi on their *kitten*.

Totally agree.! :laugh:
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    i hate to admit it, but i think i'm definitely a grammar nazi! though, i value spelling more so over punctuative grammar, or knowing when to use where, and were...so i'm not as bad as others. But i cant help but think that my boss is an idiot if he cant spell correctly in a simple memo, or if someone is a self-proclaimed up and coming entertainment professional, and "spellz liek diz. N thinkz U R sum1 who should B takin seriuzly when U make fb posts liek diz." the great poets and literary masters would surely revel at your grasp of the written language... -_-

i typically dont say anything about it, hell, i'm definitely not perfect...but it does irk me, and make me weep for the future generations who will soon have no idea that the sentence "R U sum1 I no?" used to be spelled "are you someone i know?"

I am. I've always been an english kind of person...

Ask me to do some crazy math equation and I will f%^# it up a thousand times.

:flowerforyou:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,742 Member
    Options
    I get paid to be a grammar nazi. I'm a freelance copy editor/proofreader. The funny thing is that I think I am less bothered by people's errors than many. I know so many really brilliant people who suck at spelling, grammar and/or punctuation that the longer I'm around, the less judgmental I am about those things. Besides, it's my bread and butter. If everybody was perfect, I'd be out of business!
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I get paid to be a grammar nazi. I'm a freelance copy editor/proofreader. The funny thing is that I think I am less bothered by people's errors than many. I know so many really brilliant people who suck at spelling, grammar and/or punctuation that the longer I'm around, the less judgmental I am about those things. Besides, it's my bread and butter. If everybody was perfect, I'd be out of business!
    Nice. I think I'm in a similar boat. I study natural language and human cognition. There are so many fascinating things about our ability to acquire and use language that I don't understand why people are so hung up on a list of rules for ONE standard dialect (the written version, at that). I know how completely arbitrary some bits of standard English grammar can be and I've also read some error-peppered first drafts of papers written by some brilliant professors.

Standard usage and punctuation might speak to a person's education level, their socio-economic status (or the status they wish to be associated with), or a person's attention to detail. They really don't say anything about a person's IQ.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,742 Member
    Options
    That's not to say I don't get a good laugh out of some of the mistakes I see. :laugh:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    That's not to say I don't get a good laugh out of some of the mistakes I see. :laugh:

That's ok then. It's all good as long as we can find some enjoyment in our lives. :happy:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    i hate to admit it, but i think i'm definitely a grammar nazi! though, i value spelling more so over punctuative grammar, or knowing when to use where, and were...so i'm not as bad as others. But i cant help but think that my boss is an idiot if he cant spell correctly in a simple memo, or if someone is a self-proclaimed up and coming entertainment professional, and "spellz liek diz. N thinkz U R sum1 who should B takin seriuzly when U make fb posts liek diz." the great poets and literary masters would surely revel at your grasp of the written language... -_-

i typically dont say anything about it, hell, i'm definitely not perfect...but it does irk me, and make me weep for the future generations who will soon have no idea that the sentence "R U sum1 I no?" used to be spelled "are you someone i know?"

I suppose someone may have pointed out your poor capitalization... :wink:

Beyond that, I'm with you. :tongue:
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    i am.

not too big on capitalization, though.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Capitalization is your friend.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    Capitalization is your friend.

I'll utilize it for you. I hope you realize what an honor I am currently bestowing upon your pretty head! :tongue: