Can you gain weight by rubbing oil on your skin?

Options

Replies

• Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Unless you doing the HCG diet.
  • Starlage
    Starlage Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    what does the digestive system have to do with rubbing oil on your skin?? Are you talking about rubbing oil on like chicken skin before cooking it and how your body digests it?
  • heykatieben
    heykatieben Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    lol - I mean, using it for moisturizing or facial stuff, etc, nothing crazy. Not a joke, but curious - I read that someone's face cleared up quite a bit by using olive oil. Thanks for the answers. :)
  • heykatieben
    Options
    No, sorry, I mean by directly rubbing it on your skin. I don't know how fat is stored, and so I didn't know what would happen to, say, coconut oil, if you used it to moisturize your hands.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Ok, that makes much more sense! Anything applied via your skin could potentially be absorbed into your bloodstream, though I doubt rubbing a small amount of olive oil on your face would really do much. When medications are applied to the skin, the goal is to actually avoid the GI tract, so no, it won't cause weight gain like eating oil would.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who got a visual from "Silence of the Lambs" when you read this?

"Thou places the lotion in the basket..."
  • heykatieben
    Options
    Thanks @dixiedavidson, interesting - that makes sense! :)
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I wish this were true . .l'd be hung like a pony!
    :drinker: :laugh: :drinker: :laugh: Well played my friend!
  • RhondaRowsell
    RhondaRowsell Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Unless your intestines are on the outside, no.
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    so yes this seems like a silly question to most of you... but I remember back when I did the Dr.Bernstien diet (or something like that, I was like 12, and I dont recomend it) they limited the cosmetic products you used, like lip gloss,body lotion,facial cleanser, saying something to the effect of your body will asorb the sugars and fats in it through your skin.. so although the notion is a little crazy and doesnt really have merit, the question makes sense considering there are "health professionals" spewing out this info.. and why did do they spew out such sillyness? becuase they have thier own line of sugar and fat free cosmetics! (at least the clinic thing I went to did lol)
  • MisterKD
    Options
    Maybe she talking about Crisco? You won't gain weight, but you might get a SERIOUS tan!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Really? Really? This is grammar school stuff guys.

YOU DONT EAT THROUGH YOUR SKIN.
    SKIN IS FOR RESPIRATION AND PROTECTION.

Actually, I stand corrected, this happened to my dog, BUT HE LICKS HIMSELF.
  • therenegadeangel
    therenegadeangel Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Seriously?
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I wish this were true . .l'd be hung like a pony!
    :drinker: :laugh: :drinker: :laugh: Well played my friend!

Yes, very well done!!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    filed.
  • heykatieben
    Options
    Hey, it never hurts to be kind... I'm well-educated, just not in nutrition. The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know - and how much more I can learn by acknowledging and being curious about the things that I don't completely know. Okay, end assertion. :)

So, apparently, what hits the skin has a chance to hit the bloodstream. It's not clear to me why that means the fat isn't absorbed into the body, except for taking it on faith that the GI tract is the only system that can store fat.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I make a paste out of negative calorie foods and rub that on my skin.
  • bbbbb33333
    bbbbb33333 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    What about rubbing food on your skin?????

It probably adds weight too....
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Remember the band DEVO, the DE-Evolution has begun.
    Everyone check to make sure you still have opposable thumbs.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It's very important to rub the oil on the skin, or you'll get the hose again.