Can you gain weight by rubbing oil on your skin?

Options

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Hey, it never hurts to be kind... I'm well-educated, just not in nutrition. The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know - and how much more I can learn by acknowledging and being curious about the things that I don't completely know. Okay, end assertion. :)

So, apparently, what hits the skin has a chance to hit the bloodstream. It's not clear to me why that means the fat isn't absorbed into the body, except for taking it on faith that the GI tract is the only system that can store fat.
    Do yourself a huge favor, grab a book on nutritional basics.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    If you want a more technical answer: anything you apply topically (on your skin) actually hits your lungs, not your GI tract,

Er... no.

You are correct that topical doesn't go to GI... but it doesn't go to your lungs either. You have to inhale it to get it to your lungs.

Or, hypothetically speaking, it could enter your blood stream and get transported to your lungs and the rest of your body via circulating blood... but it doesn't go to lungs directly.
  • LabRat529
    Options
    So, apparently, what hits the skin has a chance to hit the bloodstream. It's not clear to me why that means the fat isn't absorbed into the body, except for taking it on faith that the GI tract is the only system that can store fat.

"Chance" is relative. You're skin is a pretty effective barrier against most things. Unless it's broken (cut, sunburned, scraped), it will even keep nasty stuff like viruses out, including HIV and other scary things people tend to freak out about (the viruses get in through other routes- the eyes, nose, mouth, vagina, *kitten*... you get the idea). Not that I recommend you go picking HIV contaminated anything up with just your hands... but skin does a pretty good job of protecting your insides.

As for oil? I think its highly unlikely that the oil will make it through all your layers of skin and into your body. Could it happen? Sure... but not enough for it to make any difference in weight.

You have layers and layers of skin. The outer layers are dead (and they're supposed to be dead).
  • soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    How much does the oil weigh? And do you have huge, absorbent pores?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • soniyamas
    soniyamas Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am laughing out so loud with almost every reply to this post....
  • LabRat529
    Options

Also, the GI tract doesn't STORE fat. It ABSORBS fat.

I'm not sure if that was a mistype or a misunderstanding.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Wish I had some McD's french fries. :love:
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I feel dumber every time I come back to this thread.....
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Well the table weight gets heavier when the masseuse gets on top of my back.......................

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Yes. The reason I'm not losing any weight is because of all the calories I take in when I get oil on my fingers draining the oil from my lazy friend's tuna.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Now, does oil weight more than whey?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    We eat through our mouths, not through our skin. Do not count calories for oil on your skin, sun screen, lotion, body wash, shampoo, or body butter.

I hope that clears things up.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Whey weighs way more.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

Whey weighs way more.

:laugh:
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    perhaps if you decided to bathe in butter everyday. :bigsmile:
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    A#1 trolling right here, kudos!
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I don't know about that. I've been slathering my whole body with butter before my webcam shows and I haven't gained a single pound!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It puts the lotion on its skin...

silence-of-the-lambs-gumb.jpg
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Triglycerides are fats, also called lipids, which are stored in the body when not used for energy. The fat remains in the blood to provide cell function energy, cell building and hormone function. Blood triglycerides enter the body through food digestion.