Snacks that are actually filling

meganmorsey
meganmorsey Posts: 75
So one of my biggest problems lately is what I call my afternoon snack-attack. I'm SO HUNGRY when I get home from work, which is somewhere between 2:45 and 3:30 depending on whether I have faculty or parent meetings after school. I tend to plan out a snack when I get home, but inevitably I'll be hungrier and eat more. I'm still staying within my calorie counts so it's not too bad, but I would love some ideas for snacks that will keep me full until dinner.

I eat breakfast at 5:30am, lunch at 10:30am and then get home at various times as mentioned above. My diary is public if anyone wants to look.

What snacks will keep me full so I don't keep eating until dinner is ready?

Replies

• gashinshotan
    gashinshotan Posts: 749 Member
    3 cups of lettuce
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Something with substance. Things with protein or fiber help keep you full.
    -String cheese
    -Cottage cheese
    -Peanut butter
    -Fruits/vegetables
    -Fiber one (cereal bars or cereal)
    -Milk
    -Nuts
  • lthomas42
    lthomas42 Posts: 73 Member
    Nuts! A handful of raw, unsalted nuts are very filling!

Or beat yourself to the punch and have a nice, protein rich filling lunch. Today I had a salad with chicken at 2pm and it's 7 and I'm still not hungry.

I found myself eating around the 3-4 mark out of habit, rather than hunger. I found having a cup of coffee or green tea (no sugar or cream!) during that time helped, since I wasn't actually hungry, I was just eating then out of habit and my brain was use to it.
  • Jessicaruby
    Jessicaruby Posts: 881 Member
    i would eat something after lunch around 12 and then something again around 3, that way you are not waiting so long in between and getting famished. you can take your snacks with you so you do not have to wait until you get home. i usually eat apples, a protein shake, greek yogurt mixed with pumpkin, or some almonds for a snack. all are very good for you and keep me full
  • Second vote for cottage cheese. Even thinking about it makes me want some lol
  • lorac321
    lorac321 Posts: 614 Member
    I like Special K Multi-Grain Crackers with Light String Cheese
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    100-cal Yoplait :) Yummo + some protein! They're kind of high in sugar but you can find lower sugar alternative yogurt!
  • I do not find nuts filling at all! Just me tho i guess :D

I like:
    tuna
    greek yogurt
    cheese sticks
    radishes

my most filling snacks! Coffee is an appetite suppressant for me too
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    high fiber or high protein, or something with both. I eat wild wood soy yogurt, it has 7 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber, and if I am still hungry I eat celery or some other crunchy veggies.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    My friend who is a nutritionist said that an apple or some baby carrots and something with protein at the same time will keep you full longer, so I sometimes have an apple and a string cheese.
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    a double cheeseburger - for sure.
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    A banana works great for me. If I'm really hungry, toss in a small cup of milk and life is good.
  • I'm in love with the Banana Nut instant oatmeal cereal by Quaker. It's 140 calories but worth it. It tastes like banana bread and is filling.
  • veganbabe133
    veganbabe133 Posts: 46 Member
    My go to snack: plain Chobani Yogurt (packed with protein!) and a banana (packed with carbs!) so you stay full quite long :]
  • Tuna with tomato and some capers
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    an apple mixed with fat free cottage cheese :)
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Oooh greek yoghurt is good for you (and fairly low calorie if you get the low fat kind) and so satisfying, especially with a little bit of honey on top.
    Also those microwave packets of oat-so simple oatmeal are good and only about 200 calories.
    And I don't know if they do these outside the UK but i love the walkers sensations peking spare rib crackers. I know crisps aren't great for you but as far as crisps go they're fairly low calories. If you have the recommended serving size you can have a decent sized bowl of them for 140 calories. (:
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    I just posted in the recipe forum, I made a little "sandwich" with a flat crisp rye bread cracker (20 calories, Finn Crisp), 1/2 TB of WW whipped cream cheese, and a slice of smoked turkey. 60 calories but definitely yummy and protein filled.
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    some of my faves:

half or a third of an avocado
    hard boiled egg
    apple
    banana
    berries
    basically any fruit or veggie
    nuts
    nut butters
    greek yogurt

I also second the drinking of tea or coffee or something like a powerade zero....
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    I love almonds, string cheese or apples n peanut butter!
This discussion has been closed.