Snacks that are actually filling

Replies

• Chicken. Seriously.

Bake a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday. Season with salt and pepper and bake at 375F for 20-30 minutes. Make sure the internal temp is 160-165F.

Chop, slice, dice... portion out to 3oz servings. Zip top snack bags work great for this.

Now you have pre-portioned lean protein any time you need a snack. Go.
  • 0RESET0
    0RESET0 Posts: 128
    I third the vote for cottage cheese. 80 cal per half cup of low fat cottage cheese. 5 carbs, 0 fat and 14 protein.
  • I found myself eating around the 3-4 mark out of habit, rather than hunger. I found having a cup of coffee or green tea (no sugar or cream!) during that time helped, since I wasn't actually hungry, I was just eating then out of habit and my brain was use to it.

I often used to eat out of habit too, but remember I have to eat lunch at 10:30! Then I'm teaching until 2:05 :).
  • sharonhauptman
    sharonhauptman Posts: 60 Member
    Heat the oven to 400 right away. Take a sheet and take a paper towel dipped in oil. Spread the oil lightly over the pan. Dump on a bag of frozen green beans. Dum on a bag of frozen pepper strips. Top with Season all. Bake til the vegies start to brown. Eat eat eat!!!! Now then, they will cook faster if you throw the frozen bags of vegeies on the counter so they are thawed when you get home. This tastes like french fries. Be sure and eat with your fingers to make it fun food sis.

Another one: Take frozen corn - throw in the microwave and eat it!!!
  • Great ideas everyone! Ideally I would eat lunch later or eat a snack at 12-1 and then another small snack at 3. But after lunch, I'm in the classroom until school gets out at 2:05 and I can't have a snack at that time.

I think I will try doing the protein plus fiber thing for a few days and see how that goes. I like nuts and peanuts but I have a tendencey to overdo it with those.

Thanks again for the ideas :)
  • abbbigayl
    abbbigayl Posts: 75 Member
    mini pretzels or carrots with hummus.
  • daisydog101
    daisydog101 Posts: 81 Member
    Popcorn and yogurt
  • vger11
    vger11 Posts: 248
    almonds and coffee

on the drive home I always keep an apple w/in reach
  • lawtechie
    lawtechie Posts: 708 Member
    Greek yogurt w/ 1/4 cup Kashi go Lean
  • lupa01
    lupa01 Posts: 162 Member
    100-cal Yoplait :) Yummo + some protein! They're kind of high in sugar but you can find lower sugar alternative yogurt!

I like the fiber one yogurt, 50 calories and only 4 grams of sugar!
  • full fat greek yogurt with SF flavored syrup. Fage is 130 cal and worth every creamy spoonful
  • runwithmike
    runwithmike Posts: 145 Member
    High Fiber, High Protein foods as long as the snack attack is not right before bed.
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    handful of baby carrots with 1/4 cup hummus
  • What time is your lunchbreak at work? Surely not 10.30?

I would attempt to change your mealtimes. I get up at 6.30, but don't at my breakfast til 8.30. I then have lunch about 12.30-1, a coffee or snack mid afternoon then a big meal at about 8.30pm!
  • november03
    november03 Posts: 205 Member
    bump
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Too much processed stuff and sodium. Try greek yogurt, almonds, avocado, coconut butter/oil, maybe eggs for breakfast if you can (or another meal) with some cheese or something. Fruity cheerios aren't going to help you feel satiated.

Go back to whole foods, get some spinach for salads, no canned veggies, no processed lunch meats.

My diary is open if you want to look. Protein, good fats and some less processed carbs and low sodium.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Chicken. Seriously.

Bake a bunch of chicken breasts on Sunday. Season with salt and pepper and bake at 375F for 20-30 minutes. Make sure the internal temp is 160-165F.

Chop, slice, dice... portion out to 3oz servings. Zip top snack bags work great for this.

Now you have pre-portioned lean protein any time you need a snack. Go.

LOVE this idea. I'm going to do this for when i'm running out of protein to grab
  • Indy_Mario
    Indy_Mario Posts: 532 Member
    Nuts, seriously go NUTS!
    Also popcorn, edamame, and I really like the chicken idea.

Fiber and protein are the hardest for your body to digest, therefore keep you "full" the longest.
    Stay away from carbs!
  • a double cheeseburger - for sure.

LOL!!!

I recently discovered Shirataki noodles (thanks Dr Oz)

They are in the produce section with the tofu as they are soy noodles.
    8 oz package, 40 calories (yes 4-0), also high in protein, carbs, low fat.
    With some salt free garlic herb seasoning or a bit of low sodium soy sauce - yum! And 8 oz is a lot of noodles
  • What time is your lunchbreak at work? Surely not 10.30?

I would attempt to change your mealtimes. I get up at 6.30, but don't at my breakfast til 8.30. I then have lunch about 12.30-1, a coffee or snack mid afternoon then a big meal at about 8.30pm!

Yes, my lunch break is 10:30 to 11. My workday is 7am-2:20. I'm a high school teacher. I get up at 5:15 and get to school at 6:30.
This discussion has been closed.