For the non-meat eaters...

I love meat and have no intention of ever giving it up but I am curious as to why it is ok for vegetarians to eat eggs but not chicken??

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Possibly because you don't have to take an egg and wring its neck to make a meal. A lot of strict vegetarians won't even eat fertilized eggs, meaning it was never viable to begin with. Some vegetarians (called vegans) won't even eat eggs. Nor milk nor honey. If it comes from an animal, they won't eat it.

There are so many different reasons to be a vegetarian and so many types of vegetarians that there really is no one answer to this question, though.

*I was a vegetarian for many years, by the way, it just doesn't work for me anymore. I can't seem to absorb enough protein and iron*
  • Barbeliza
    Barbeliza Posts: 9 Member
    Because an unfertilized egg is not the flesh of a living creature.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    I am guessing because the egg never lived

Also I think some people are vegetarian simply because they dislike the taste or texture of meat.
  • because it is a byproduct of the chicken. Just like honey is a byproduct of bees, and milk is a byproduct of cows or goats (or at my house-me).

Vegans don't eat these things or any animal byproducts at all. There are also different levels of vegetarians-ones that eat eggs and dairy are lacto-ovo, I believe. There are some (don't remember the name) that eat fish... don't call me crazy-it's true. lol
  • MaraDiaz

Also I think some people are vegetarian simply because they dislike the taste or texture of meat.

And therefore never suffered.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    because it is a byproduct of the chicken. Just like honey is a byproduct of bees, and milk is a byproduct of cows or goats (or at my house-me).

Vegans don't eat these things or any animal byproducts at all. There are also different levels of vegetarians-ones that eat eggs and dairy are lacto-ovo, I believe. There are some (don't remember the name) that eat fish... don't call me crazy-it's true. lol

eggs are not a by-product, no
  • I am guessing because the egg never lived

Not all vegetarians [or vegans] are such because of animals and humane/inhumane treatment. I was a vegetarian for no other reason than it's healthier.

I just saw an expose last night that is helping push me toward re-embracing vegetarianism even faster. It said that 80% of the antibiotics in the US are given to livestock-creating resistant strains of bacteria in humans. Ew.
  • I am vegan, and do not eat any animal product.
    Reasons for: The way the animals get put to death, the torcher they go through, I would hate for myself to be murdered in such a criticalm way. well i would hate someone to take my child (i do not have kids, just an example) away from me to be slaughtered. Even egg's, there baby is getting taken away from them. If anyone has watched the movie 'earthlings' you would understand exactly.
    I am not againts meat eaters. I just find it pure animal cruelty.
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260

call me crazy but the chicken certainly did suffer in the process.. i was a vegetarian for almost 10 years and am considering getting into it again.. not really about the animals [not that i dont think the system needs a good overhauling] but more for health reasons at this point. when i was a kid it was to save the poor animals now its to save my own *kitten*! haha
  • because it is a byproduct of the chicken. Just like honey is a byproduct of bees, and milk is a byproduct of cows or goats (or at my house-me).

Yes; it most certainly is considered a byproduct. Yes.
    What are animal by-products?

Animal by-products are entire animal bodies, parts of animals or products of animal origin that are not intended for human consumption. These include:

animal carcasses and parts of animal carcasses - including fish
    digestive tract content
    manure from farmed animals, eg pigs, cattle and chickens
    ova, embryos and semen which are not intended for breeding purposes
    blood, hides, skins, hooves and horns
    shellfish and crustacean waste
    feathers, wool, hair and fur
    food waste of animal or fish origin no longer intended for human consumption - including eggs, milk and cooking oil used to prepare animal products
    http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1086961703&type=RESOURCES

Edited to add the question: if an egg is not a byproduct, then the semen of a rooster must be edible too???
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    I appreciate the replies. As I said, I have no desire to stop eating meat but I do like to be educated as to why people choose the eating styles that they do.
  • Wilmingtonbelle
    Wilmingtonbelle Posts: 255 Member
    I eat primarily vegetarian but don't eat eggs, they gross me out. I also rarely consume dairy because I'm lactose intolerant. After 40 plus years of eating various things, most of it horrible, I find that I feel a lot healthier eating vegetarian and I'm working towards becoming vegan. My dietary preference has given me more energy, my skin is the best it's ever been and I have far less health related issues.

Each person has their reason for the diet they follow, sometimes religion, sometimes health reasons, sometimes taste preferences. I support anyone taking the goal of better health seriously regardless of what diet they follow. I don't question why people eat meat but I get questioned a lot about why I don't eat it. As long as the questions are asked out of genuine interest and not trying to figure out what's wrong with me for not eating meat, I welcome sharing my enjoyment of a vegetarian diet.

Sláinte! :flowerforyou:
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    because it is a byproduct of the chicken. Just like honey is a byproduct of bees, and milk is a byproduct of cows or goats (or at my house-me).

Animal by-products are entire animal bodies, parts of animals or products of animal origin that are not intended for human consumption. These include:

digestive tract content
    food waste of animal or fish origin no longer intended for human consumption - including eggs, milk and cooking oil used to prepare animal products
    http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?itemId=1086961703&type=RESOURCES

Edited to add the question: if an egg is not a byproduct, then the semen of a rooster must be edible too???

there, you just said it " food WASTE of animal origin no longer intended for human consumption."
  • spiritwolf13
    spiritwolf13 Posts: 67 Member
    I have been an ovo vegeterian for 25 years which means I eat eggs I do not like the taste of chicken never have even when I was a kid ( so when people tell me to try something it taste just like chicken it makes me laugh.) Some people just make the choice for 1 reason or another it started for me for the animal reason and then for me and my health I just feel better not eating meat but hey thats me.
  • MaraDiaz

Not all vegetarians [or vegans] are such because of animals and humane/inhumane treatment. I was a vegetarian for no other reason than it's healthier.

I just saw an expose last night that is helping push me toward re-embracing vegetarianism even faster. It said that 80% of the antibiotics in the US are given to livestock-creating resistant strains of bacteria in humans. Ew.

I was vegetarian primarily for my health as well, but I won't say it didn't feel good to know nobody went and slaughtered Bessie the cow to make my dinner. In fact, I really would prefer to be vegetarian again, but as I said, it doesn't work at all for me anymore. So sorry, moo cows, my health comes first.

digestive tract content

there, you just said it " food WASTE of animal origin no longer intended for human consumption."

So then you would eat the semen of a rooster? Really? Because there is no difference in the two: an egg is an egg is an egg. Whether it comes from the female of the species or not. It's considered a byproduct.

Eggs are only a byproduct if they take a look with the light and don't like the looks of that one? Gimme a break.
  • This is cracking me up.
  • Vegans don't eat these things or any animal byproducts at all. There are also different levels of vegetarians-ones that eat eggs and dairy are lacto-ovo, I believe. There are some (don't remember the name) that eat fish... don't call me crazy-it's true. lol

Yep, there are some that eat fish but not other animals - like me. They're called pescetarians! :)
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Actually, it is a mis-conception of the term "vegetarian".

"vegetarian" got mis-used so much, that the term "vegan" had to be invented to mean what "vegetarian" used to mean.

Vegetarians, in the original sense, do not eat eats, nor dairy, nor chicken, nor fish, nor bacon.

Seriously.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Animal products and reproductive byproducts are tough to separate conceptually and impossible to separate in actuality, since they're part of the reproductive processes of organisms that are raised primarily for meat, and most of whose parts only become profitable after they're dead.

To scientifically (and maturely) acknowledge what's going on, regardless of whether you agree with eating all or some or none of it, it has to be taken in all of its economic complexity.

The egg and dairy industry are wholly dependent on the meat industry. For example, dairy and veal production are part of the same bovine reproductive cycle, regardless of whether or not someone buys veal, or beef, or only cheese. The reality of veal production and the full consequences of keeping cows lactating for as long as they're profitably lactating, in addition to the production of meat, are part of the reality of consuming cheese. The situation for chickens is not much different, except that chicks aren't restrained in boxes so that they remain tender to eventually be served a la piccatta. Do yourself a favor and don't look up what happens to male chicks once they're hatched. (Dude, I warned you).

From the standpoint of political economy, there are a number of other industrial concerns involved in stocking the grocery aisles with profitable bits of cows and chickens--pet food, fertilizer, livestock feed, margarine, dough conditioners, vitamin supplements, leather, cleaning and upholstery materials, soap, cosmetics, glue--in addition to the financial interests of the speculators (since they reap most of the profits) on the meat products and by-products, and on corn, soy, and wheat products (i.e. what those animals are eating).

These aren't separated from the production process simply because someone likes eggs but not wings.