Outgrowing MFP

Options
cheeksv
cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
Has anyone ever felt like this? I feel it sometimes and although I am no where near my goal I have often wondered how long one goes before leaving? If you an learn to track your own calories and maintain or even sometimes just loose weight on your own why stay? Has anyone else mulled the idea of logging off for good? What makes you stay?

Replies

• Jadesfattorment
    Options
    Often I hear that people meet their goals from this site so they think they can sort of measure what they are eating without MFP but then they're always seem to come back and be like "I gained 12lbs! back to MFP!" I hear that a lot. So unless you really know the calories of everything you eat, I'd stay. :) I think about leaving a lot but these stories have cured me!

~Always looking for more MFP friends.~
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I don't think I could even consider leaving MFP until I'm at the end of my journey, unless I found a better programme to use.

It keeps me on the straight and narrow (most of the time LOL), and of course, its nice to be able to read the success stories and take advice from others' experiences.
  • whisperingdragon
    Options
    No, I can't leave. I don't want to leave. But, that's me.

However, I've had a quite a few friends who have left permanently. For whatever reason it maybe. Everyone is different. One that I remember couldn't stick with it no matter what he did. He never logged his food, and rarely exercised. **shrugs**.. It is what it is.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Actually? Yes. I've considered it more than once to be honest. I've been below my original goal weight for awhile now. I know all about serving sizes, portion control, etc.

I stay because I've been asked by people on my friend's list to stay. I stay because I want to support people and on my bad days, sometimes I need someone else's support too.
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Actually? Yes. I've considered it more than once to be honest. I've been below my original goal weight for awhile now. I know all about serving sizes, portion control, etc.

I stay because I've been asked by people on my friend's list to stay. I stay because I want to support people and on my bad days, sometimes I need someone else's support too.

We thank people like you chevy.
    Its nice to see people who have completed their goals continue on the website. ^.^

At least for ppl like me it gives me hope that it no matter how long it takes that eventually I will get there.
  • jen_ferrante
    jen_ferrante Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't want to leave. I get "lazy" and stop tracking for days and sometimes weeks at a time. I know that logging into MFP keeps me aware of what I am stuffing in my mouth. Even when I'm not logging in, I think about how I should be logging in these calories so I can keep myself honest.

If you have the willpower to get healthy and lose weight without MFP and you don't use the support system such as blogs and message boards, more power to you! I have not seen many success stories come from those people I know who have left though unless they paid to join another program like Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig. I refuse to pay someone to help me be accountable for the food I stuff in my face.
  • cheeksv
    Options

I think that make sense. I mean like I said I am no where near my goal but, when you learn the things you need to learn and are successful why stay? I am not saying I am leaving now either I was just curious. Supporting others is a good reason. I might be interpreting wrong but, sometimes I see successful people reposing their pics over and over and it is like that is why they stay. To get the compliments and " inspire". To me unless I was asked for support I am not sure I would stick around. This site gives so many tools to get back to a healthy life but, if you can't go into life on your own...is it more of a crutch?
  • treesha450
    treesha450 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I never want to leave. I love this site.I have about 15 pounds to go. I hope to stay on here or cut down to once or twice a week once I've maintained my goal weight for a while(like 3-4 months)
  • WeightHacker
    WeightHacker Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    MFP is something we either use for a life time, use temperately, or never get back on anymore.

some have really good reason, some dont.
    but you know. we cant judge that.

anyways i have. and i have left but i always seem to come back. I never leave MFP for more than 1 week i believe. i think that was the longest i have left. but then i get back in and get back off and i just repeat it.

but everyone have their own motivation, their own desires, some just find this as another FB. i know i did. :3 and i still do. only i feel i can talk about anything on here just to get out of my system. and it works.

but for me i dont think i could ever leave MFP for anything. even if i leave for a week or so. ill always return
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I've been here 507 consecutive days now, at 90% of my weight loss goal, but happy with maintaining. There have been times where I thought, meh, but that's rarely anything to do with MFP.

The most important thing for achieving fitness and health is commitment - you have to want to do it. If MFP can help you keep that commitment, then stick with it. If it hinders your commitment, dump it.

I suspect, it's your commitment that's wavering.... work on that and keep logging it here!
  • DesertSunsetRain
    Options
    I have actually been thinking about leaving for awhile now. I can't imagine my life a year from now, in maintenance mode, counting calories on here. There is a difference between counting calories and being aware of calories and portion sizes. I think this site is a fantastic tool for getting people on the right track. But I think there has to be a point in your life where you stop counting and start living. I feel like I can know that if I have a bigger breakfast I should keep my other meals light and stick with healthy snacks. Or that I should read labels and be aware of the portion size. Logging every piece of food I put in my mouth for years to come sounds really boring and not fun. I sort of feel like if you aren't dieting or bulking then you don't really need to count calories.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought too. So, I stopped using it. Then, I gained back all the weight I loss plus some and had to start over. I guess what keeps me motivated is the thought of feeling happy and confident. I have spent too many days, months, years being depressed because I'm overweight. Not to mention it helps to keep my haters in mind. By that I mean anyone who ever called me fat, chubby, overweight, or simply told me I couldn't do it. I want to make them eat their words. Stick with it. Have patience. You can do this. :smile:
  • claire_xox
    claire_xox Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I've considered it but I get so curious about what I'm eating and wondering if I guess the calories right that I have to check it
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I use it because without tracking my calories, I wouldn't lose weight. I know how to eat healthy, I know portions, I know the details :] BUT accuracy is important and that is what the tool is for.

I like to be able to log and make sure my protein and fat intake are enough.

I am technically at my "goal" weight as well. I really didn't want to drop under 120 pounds. Should be going into a bulking stage here soon. And will log during that just to make sure I am hitting my macros.

The people are certainly a reason for me to stay. I have met some absolutely fantastic people that I talk to very often. I would miss them so much! And i would like to think they would miss me. Or well at least notice I was gone xD

Some tell me I inspire them, I have only posted 1 progress thread tho :] I am here to help if they need it.
  • cheeksv
    Options

I suspect, it's your commitment that's wavering.... work on that and keep logging it here!

I don't think that becasue I consider leaving in the future when I have met or come close to my goal that my commitment is wavering. I am very committed to fitness and health. It is more my future commitment to MFP that I am questioning. I was more curious to know if anyone else had the same thoughts, not saying that I don't want to do this for the time being.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    I don't see me leaving even when I begin to maintain and get used to it. I owe every pound, so far, to this site and the forums keep me motivated, daily.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Yes I have considered it... then I realised I wasn't working hard enough or being honest enough with myself and "guessing" values too much. Took a week away from it to go on holiday and had little internet access as was expensive abroad. Came back having relaxed eating and not logging - had lost 2.5Kg... got back to logging, this time properly, and fitting in more exercise and logging it all accurately and boom. Also had a good stare at food diary and made adjustments.

If you're not losing, you're a) not doing your research properly b) not logging properly (food and exercise alike) c) Not being honest with yourself, d)not doing enough hard exercise for long enough and e) not eating enough/eating too much for your activity levels, age, gender, height, current weight.

Thing is... all the info is on here so MFP is a fab tool. You just have to use it properly like any other weight loss "tool".
  • AngelaeLebron1
    AngelaeLebron1 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    See, I already was losing weight before joining this site, I have lost 20lbs all together so far. I am still 15lbs away from my goal (my first goal at least), I want to see how I look there and maybe go for another 10 or 15lbs So I will prob. be on here for a while. I used to have a HORRIBLE eating habit. I didn't watch what I ate at all. When I joined MFP I already was in stage 2 of the SBD so I was already eating a lot better, and I haven't had any problems with staying in my calorie range. I would hate to have seen what it would of been like to log the crap that I used to eat, prob. like thanksgiving, everyday! Yuck!
    Now, since I have joined MFP, I have lost 7lbs, so that is almost half of total lost. I definitely feel that it works. I might have gave up by now, if not joining MFP. I love that this site is free, that I can look up almost any food, and track my carbs and sodium (my 2 weaknesses) also that I can track my measurements & meet new people. It is great there are so many people that I can talk to about my weight loss plans, goals, programs, struggles ect... things that my other friends and my family can't totally understand because they aren't doing the same. Things that those people who I love, get tired of hearing about and bored with.
    Anyways, to answer your question, not yet, I am still fairly new, so maybe that is why..but I don't see myself leaving MFP anytime soon. =)
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way...this is NOT a weight loss site. It's a fitness site. Will you be into being fit and healthy and want good tools and information and peers with which to identify with? It's not about learning how to lose weight then quitting.
  • 58mimi
    58mimi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have tried weight watchers 3 times and 3 times I have reached my goal but as soon as I stopped I put the weight back on. With MFP I am losing weight at a healthy 1 to 2 lbs a week. I record everything and I have increased the amount of exercise I do (mainly Zumba). I try not to eat my excercise calories but they are there as a buffer. I record my net calorie consumption over the week on a separate spreadsheet and try to keep to a weekly goal rather than a daily goal. This means if I go over my goal one day can I make up for it the next day.
    I have come to the realisation over the years (I am now 53) that I will probably need to record calories and weight for the rest of my life if I am to maintain a healthy weight. I just love food too much - not crisps and chocolate - just good food but if you eat too much of that you will gain weght too. I wont be leaving for some time if ever!:happy:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!