Outgrowing MFP

Options

Replies

• EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever felt like this? I feel it sometimes and although I am no where near my goal I have often wondered how long one goes before leaving? If you an learn to track your own calories and maintain or even sometimes just loose weight on your own why stay? Has anyone else mulled the idea of logging off for good? What makes you stay?

Will you ever "out grow" good health? I think people fail because they have "Stinhkin' Thinkin" By that I mean they stop doing what works and go Back to what don't, and they expect success. And wonder what happened when they regain weight .

It makes Me sick every time somebody comes BACK saying..."I'm back, I left...now I am doing it again." I say, NO ONE MISSED YOU, nor care that You are back! AND only idiots will continue to "Motivate" people like you that leave and come back over and over, just be quiet and DO what you need to Do, and do not expect people to pick you up.

So if you leave, and come back, just try to help others who want good health. Just be a good listener and give less advice because you didn't Learn anything before.
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm at goal and there are days I think about leaving MFP BUT I know I'm still learning. Now I've got into running I've picked up all sorts of tips from the forums which hopefully will keep me running through the winter. I'm also making new friends who are runners so the emphasis has shifted a bit for me.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    give less advice

Words to live by.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever felt like this? I feel it sometimes and although I am no where near my goal I have often wondered how long one goes before leaving? If you an learn to track your own calories and maintain or even sometimes just loose weight on your own why stay? Has anyone else mulled the idea of logging off for good? What makes you stay?

Will you ever "out grow" good health? I think people fail because they have "Stinhkin' Thinkin" By that I mean they stop doing what works and go Back to what don't, and they expect success. And wonder what happened when they regain weight .

It makes Me sick every time somebody comes BACK saying..."I'm back, I left...now I am doing it again." I say, NO ONE MISSED YOU, nor care that You are back! AND only idiots will continue to "Motivate" people like you that leave and come back over and over, just be quiet and DO what you need to Do, and do not expect people to pick you up.

So if you leave, and come back, just try to help others who want good health. Just be a good listener and give less advice because you didn't Learn anything before.

Like I have said I am not planning on leaving today, nor have I expressed wanting to leave and then come back.I am not even trying to give advice so I am not sure what that has to do with anything. I have been fortunate to have equal amounts of success both on and OFF of MFP. So I don't think it is a discussion of what works and what doesn't. It is also not a discussion about my personal commitment and I am sorry if I mistakenly worded it that way or you took it that way. I am honestly just curious to see of anyone else felt they no longer needed the site and why have they stayed or why they are planning to leave. I have gotten great comments on both sides. I will admit I agree more with the idea that one day you can live your life and not worry about logging every item you put in your mouth but, I understand that is not for everyone. If it were people wouldn't return to " what works". So I am sorry if I walked on your " ride or die" belief system but, I am trying to spurr a healthy discussion about the longevity one has on MFP and as I am more than sure everyone has thought about it at one point or another.
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

Like I have said I am not planning on leaving today, nor have I expressed wanting to leave and then come back.I am not even trying to give advice so I am not sure what that has to do with anything. I have been fortunate to have equal amounts of success both on and OFF of MFP. So I don't think it is a discussion of what works and what doesn't. It is also not a discussion about my personal commitment and I am sorry if I mistakenly worded it that way or you took it that way. I am honestly just curious to see of anyone else felt they no longer needed the site and why have they stayed or why they are planning to leave. I have gotten great comments on both sides. I will admit I agree more with the idea that one day you can live your life and not worry about logging every item you put in your mouth but, I understand that is not for everyone. If it were people wouldn't return to " what works". So I am sorry if I walked on your " ride or die" belief system but, I am trying to spurr a healthy discussion about the longevity one has on MFP and as I am more than sure everyone has thought about it at one point or another.

OP I understand your point and it makes sense. Please disregard that person's post as it's obvious they had one too many cups of coffee too close to bed time. Gee whiz, some people..
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    has anyone ever wanted to just use the site less in general but, were scared they would loose friends becasue of it?
  • LeeKetty1176
    LeeKetty1176 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    im not at my goal yet and before anyone says a thing i am more committed than i ever have been in reaching my weight and fitness goals.........

I have, in recent weeks, thought about leaving the site, and if truth be known i have a lot of friends that have been on the site around the 300 days mark also saying the same.

I am putting it down to "the end of the honeymoon"

At first its all new and exciting, learning new stuff, meeting new people etc.......but after a while the food side of things becomes 2nd nature and you tend to go on to auto pilot when shopping etc buying the right things etc.

it not about a drop in commitment to your health. its just finding that BUZZ you first had.....well thats how i feel anyway !
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I came for the calorie counter. I stay for the forum.

To be quite honest I log on and off all the time. MFP is just a tool for me to lose weight and get fit. It doesn't always work with my life situation.

I don't want to need to count calories all the time and it's interesting to notice how depending on what's happening in my life how I respond and my weight changes. Sometimes I can log off for months and gain nothing or even lose. Other times I'll gain. For me though weight loss always runs second in my life. I'll enjoy my life first and then try to change my weight.

I really don't care that people might think I'm not committed to losing weight. I am currently healthy (although overweight), have no medical issues to speak of. My weight has been steadily decreasing for two years. It's perfect for me. I want permanent weight loss. That means a lifestyle change. That does not happen over night. Slow and steady for me.

If I do stop using it as a calorie counter, I will come back for the forums there's a vast amount of great info about getting fit. Getting fit in the end is my ultimate aim.

Only log off if it's what you need to do. The site will always be here (hopefully) for you to come back to when you need it.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I think the mistake is to confuse useful tools with 'crutches'. Humans are technologists - we are tool users. There's nothing wrong with using a tool to support a goal. It's what human beings do.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I expect to hang around even after going into maintenance. I may not log my food daily like I do now, but I find the message boards such a valuable resource I don't expect I'll want to give that up.

I get the "end of the honeymoon" thing LeeKetty mentioned, but in my case it was a little different since I started out on a different site. By the time I came here I had already lost >70 lbs so I was beyond the initial period where many struggle to change their habits or waver in their commitment or lack motivation. I felt like I outgrew the other site & graduated to this one. I was quickly able to connect with others who are equally committed to their diet/exercise goals & I draw so much support from the group of friends I now have here.

I don't know why I would leave.
  • newarkco05
    Options
    Years ago I lost 50 pounds with a notebook and pen. It can work, I just like being able to pull the app up on my phone and enter the food. However, with some discipline and motivation it can be done without mfp it is just a nice tool.
  • climberchic
    climberchic Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think this is an awesome website for just letting you see how much you take in and what it takes to burn it off. Think of it as something fun and not work! :)
  • tuneses
    tuneses Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I use it off and on now. I have a handle on what my staples are for food and exercise. I log some days to help others with ideas.
  • cclark1203
    cclark1203 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Think of it this way...this is NOT a weight loss site. It's a fitness site. Will you be into being fit and healthy and want good tools and information and peers with which to identify with? It's not about learning how to lose weight then quitting.
    This is exactly the way I see this site too.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options

This sounds harsh.

If anyone has left and come back, then good on you, and I wish you health and happiness.
  • tinydancer24
    Options
    Its nice to see other people's commitments to MFP. I have logged on for 55 days in a row now and I thought maybe I was being slightly OCD but I am at 95% of my goal so it seems to be working for me. I don't think I will ever leave! MFP Rocks!!!

I've been here 507 consecutive days now, at 90% of my weight loss goal, but happy with maintaining. There have been times where I thought, meh, but that's rarely anything to do with MFP.

The most important thing for achieving fitness and health is commitment - you have to want to do it. If MFP can help you keep that commitment, then stick with it. If it hinders your commitment, dump it.

I suspect, it's your commitment that's wavering.... work on that and keep logging it here!
  • jolson1375
    jolson1375 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think I would continue to stay even after reaching my goal. Although, I would probably reach a point where I could maintain on my own; I'm also hoping to make friendships/connections with the people I've met on MFP and I would want to be there for them. Plus, once we reach our goals, we could be such inspirations to those just starting their journeys. But if it feels bothersome to you, or even if it comes to a point where it's more effort /stress/work to login; then you've certainly outgrown it ... and that's OK too. You should never feel obligated, only welcomed. :o)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

No. This is the easiest way to count my calories, and for the time it takes this it is the easiest way to maintain what you have lost. I likely will stop using the forums eventually, but the rest of the site, likely not unless I find a better and easier way to do the same thing.
  • lorjill
    lorjill Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    No, I can't leave. I don't want to leave. But, that's me.

^^Me Toooooo^^
  • BridgetForFitness
    Options
    I agree with you 100% emergencytenn. It is to commended when someone falls and gets back up!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!