Is there a Safe natural way to Cleanse your system??

Options
Anyone have good natural ideas on how to cleanse the Toxic sludge out... I have been eating horrendously :grumble:

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Yes - drink some water. Your body cleanses itself pretty well without your help.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Drink some water and eat some nuts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Above, plus fruits, veggies and fiber.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    Drinks ton of water and unsweetened green tea. Also fill up on veggies and fruit. Try yoga too.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your time, money or health. The body does an excellent job of "cleansing" itself. Just treat it right and it will treat you right. There is no "clease" as effective as simply eating well.

"The best way to 'detox' the body is simply to let your body do its job. Unless you have a medical problem, your body takes care of itself quite nicely, experts say.

"The liver and kidneys are nature's best-kept secret, because they are the weapons to eliminate toxins from your body," says Gerbstadt. "If you are concerned about certain substances in your diet, it is easier and safer to simply eliminate [those substances] rather than engage in unhealthy detox plans."

http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=64306
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/detox-diets-purging-myths

According to Chau Che MD, with New York University:

"Despite evidence to the contrary, the idea that colon cleansing is therapeutic by removing impurities, lives on. However, these claims largely fail to consider normal physiology. The digestive tract has inherent properties that work to clean our colon. After food ingestion, the small intestine absorbs nutrients and contracts to move indigestible residue into the colon. The colon continues the digestive process by absorbing and secreting electrolytes and fluids while its resident bacteria ferments the undigested food products. These are just some of the many mechanisms in which the digestive tract works in order to ensure that the colon does not become encrusted with fecal matter as some products claim. The black, rubbery material passed on a colon cleanse is actually a byproduct from the supplements and fiber in the colon cleansing product as opposed to old fecal material, in which consumers are led to believe."

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=1605
    Reviewed by Michael Poles MD and Fritz Francois MD, NYU Division of Gastroenterology

For more answers to commonly-held weight loss and fitness myths, check out this MFP group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/457-unofficial-mfp-faq
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Go poop.
  • tkn11
    tkn11 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Go poop.

THIS
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I did a type of cleanse in the spring. It's Thorne MediClear. The "diet" is essentially this:
    no gluten
    no red meat
    no booze
    no tomatoes (not sure why)
    no caffeine
    no sugar
    no sauces (except home-made - like roasted red peppers into a blender)
    no sweeteners or artificial stuff
    no pop/soda etc

then they have a pea-based protein powder thats loaded with vitamins, nutrients etc. The powder is only found in approved Health Stores, or online (I think).

but even if you don't go with the powder (it just really bumps up nutrients and protein), I am sure you will feel great.

its not really a cleanse, more of a detox type thing. It's for 3 weeks. I felt incredible following this, although it was strict.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    If you have a liver and kidneys you are good to go. :flowerforyou:
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I agree just drink a TON of water, I used to drink 2 liters if I felt like I wasn't drinking enough lol.

You could also try doing raw vegan type of eating if you feel like you're eating too many processed foods?

Good luck =]
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Eat good foods, drink water, poop and pee as needed.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    omg, i want to mention shakeology soooo bad haha. I don't use it, and don't really suggest it as a detox. I agree with water. You pee gets clear too:)
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Your body is an amazing machine. Plenty of water, lots of fresh fruits and veggies and you should feel much better.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I did a type of cleanse in the spring. It's Thorne MediClear. The "diet" is essentially this:
    no gluten
    no red meat
    no booze
    no tomatoes (not sure why)
    no caffeine
    no sugar
    no sauces (except home-made - like roasted red peppers into a blender)
    no sweeteners or artificial stuff
    no pop/soda etc

then they have a pea-based protein powder thats loaded with vitamins, nutrients etc. The powder is only found in approved Health Stores, or online (I think).

but even if you don't go with the powder (it just really bumps up nutrients and protein), I am sure you will feel great.

its not really a cleanse, more of a detox type thing. It's for 3 weeks. I felt incredible following this, although it was strict.

going GF does nothing for those who aren't celiac/gluten intolerant/gluten sensitive.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    The human body is self-cleaning.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Yes - drink some water. Your body cleanses itself pretty well without your help.

I'd agree under normal circumstances, but when you need the occasional "cleansing" drink Senna Tea. It's an herbal stimulant with no weird side effects. I use it once a week. Cost about $4 bucks at Krogers :drinker:
  • ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm on a similar "detox" as drog2323 mentions. Very organic, healthy foods to get rid of all the Thanksgiving craziness! In place of red meat/chicken, I'm making my own protein shakes. Only 1/2-1 c. of brown rice a day. When I get bored with water, I drink a non-caffeinated green tea.

So, as others have said - tons of water and fiber (fruits, veggies), no processed foods, no alcohol, no caffeine/soda. I'm doing it for about a week.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I love all of the poop comments! :love:
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    If you have a liver and kidneys you are good to go. :flowerforyou:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I'd agree under normal circumstances, but when you need the occasional "cleansing" drink Senna Tea. It's an herbal stimulant with no weird side effects. I use it once a week. Cost about $4 bucks at Krogers :drinker:
    You mean, when you're constipated, right? That is the only thing that senna tea accomplishes: softening poop. No detoxification.