What's for dinner? I only have 260 cals left for today!

Options
13»

Replies

• katcena
    katcena Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    From the looks of your food diary, you are only allotting yourself 1200 cals a day? WOW!
    SMH.... not good, my friend.
    If you go over your calorie goal today, you still cannot possibly gain any weight.
    I wouldn't sweat it. Pick out something decent to eat and don't worry about the calories. Worry about quality.
    Then, I would go back in and reassess just how badly you need to be limiting yourself to the kind of calorie allowance you're prescribing for yourself. It's hard to do, and if you try to keep it up, you're going to become cranky and have no energy.
    If this is how you like it, by all means, have at it. But that's just me.

She may be short like me..... Not everyone needs more than 1200 calories..... Just saying!!

I am sorry, but I am going to 100% disagree here. It's not the fact that a person is short, etc....if you do some research you will see, 1200 calories is the absolute minimum daily calories a woman should eat a day if they do nothing else (lie in bed all day) in order to keep all your body functions working correctly and healthy. This is a scientific fact.
    Now this doesn't mean that you can't get by on 1200 cals....and that you won't be successful on 1200 calories for a certain amount of time. You will most definitely lose weight at 1200 calories a day.....but unfortunately, most of that weight will be lost lean muscle rather than fat. Then your body will compensate by slowing your metabolism to conserve the few calories you are taking in....then you eventually plateau in your weight loss....or even worse, start to gain weight (fat, especially around your midsection). This is all "survival" instinct on your body's behalf.
    The best way to find out what works for you is to research your Basal Metabolic Rate. There are a few online calculators that can help you to find it as well as explain what it all means. I will try to find the website I was reading the other night that explained all of this so well and post it here for you all to see....it is really informative.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I think you should exercise because 200 and something calories doesn't seem like enough food for a dinner. If you decide not to, here are a few options:

Chicken breast and a side of green beans

Soup is almost always low cal

Egg white omelet with a ton of fresh veggies

Some brown rice with a bunch of veggies and a little soy sauce

Oatmeal

Smith-field Ham steak (70 cals) and butternut squash (135 cals per box 1.5 cups hanniford brand)

Hope that helps, please eat more though...lol
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Shirataki noodles are a life saver for me! I love love love them. That's 3 loves! You might want to start out with House Foods brand, tofu shirataki noodles. The pure shirataki noodles have more of a rubbery texture, which I don't mind, but tofu shirataki is good for starters. Anyway, only 40 cals for 8oz of noodles! I usually prepare it asian style, just add oyster sauce, a touch of sesame oil if you have the cals, and top off with furikaki(seaweed, sesame seed sprinkle blend). So bomb.
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    Baked Boneless Skinless Chicken breast and a salad
  • katcena
    Options
    http://www.shapefit.com/basal-metabolic-rate.html

Here is a wonderful article on BMR, TDEE, and caloric needs and goals. It explains everything in detail so thateven the beginner can understand what is going on with their body. PLEASE read this if you are eating 1200 cals aday or (Heaven forbid) less!
    For those who don't choose to read the whole thing....here's a highlight....

Calorie deficit thresholds: How low is too low?
    It is well known that cutting calories too much slows down the metabolic rate, decreases thyroid output and causes loss of lean mass, so the question is how much of a deficit do you need? There definitely seems to be a specific cutoff or threshold where further reductions in calories will have detrimental effects. The most common guideline for calorie deficits for fat loss is to reduce your calories by at least 500, but not more than 1000 below your maintenance level. For some, especially lighter people, 1000 calories may be too much of a deficit. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that calorie levels never drop below 1200 calories per day for women or 1800 per day for men. Even these calorie levels are extremely low.

If you need to calculate your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) then visit here...
    http://health.discovery.com/centers/heart/basal/basal.html

Even when I put in a 4 foot tall, 40 year old, 120 pound woman - The daily caloric needs for BASIC body functions (breathing, heart pumping, etc) is 1209 calories.....so, when people tell me they are short and don't need more than 1200 calories....well, I have to whole-heartedly, and gracefully, disagree.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    shiritake noodles are 40 calories for the whole bag you can add spaghetti sauce, meat and some cheese and totally be under 260 with some yummy spaghetti :)

Thanks for suggesting this because I ate a TON of regular pasta noodles last night and it was a massive amount of calories. I am going to see if someone in town carries these and try them.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Even when I put in a 4 foot tall, 40 year old, 120 pound woman - The daily caloric needs for BASIC body functions (breathing, heart pumping, etc) is 1209 calories.....so, when people tell me they are short and don't need more than 1200 calories....well, I have to whole-heartedly, and gracefully, disagree.

I'm 5'2" and the calculator to which you link estimates my BMR as 1269, but the one here on MFP (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator) gives me an estimate of 1161. The difference is well within the margin of error of both methods. To maintain my current weight without exercising, MFP estimates that I'd need 1450 calories per day. To maintain my goal weight, ~1400. Obviously, eating a net of 1200 cal/day gives me a very slow weight loss. For a 4'7" woman, a net intake of 1200 cal/day is probably about maintenance.
  • sambo155
    Options
    WOW! Thanks so much for the suggestions! Ok, you guys convinced me to try to exercise tonight. That's something I just can't seem to make time to do. But it's kinda nice today so after work I'm going to take my lil one to the park and walk/jog around the walking track. Then maybe some soup or an omelet for dinner! You guys rock! Thanks!
  • montiy
    montiy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    exercise so you can have more calories for dinner
    Ditto...I agree with this, too!
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options

Thanks for suggesting this because I ate a TON of regular pasta noodles last night and it was a massive amount of calories. I am going to see if someone in town carries these and try them.

Try kroger/ralphs, or if you have an asian grocery store near by they are half the price of kroger :)
  • montiy
    montiy Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've also heard that mussels are super-low in calories, and you can eat a ton of them and fill yourself. :)
  • katcena
    Options

I'm 5'2" and the calculator to which you link estimates my BMR as 1269, but the one here on MFP (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator) gives me an estimate of 1161. The difference is well within the margin of error of both methods. To maintain my current weight without exercising, MFP estimates that I'd need 1450 calories per day. To maintain my goal weight, ~1400. Obviously, eating a net of 1200 cal/day gives me a very slow weight loss. For a 4'7" woman, a net intake of 1200 cal/day is probably about maintenance.

This is why I gave the link to the site regarding BMR and finding your calories for the day. Yes, your BMR is 1269 (which 100 cals difference is huge in your case, you are talking 10%!!!).....but, if you read the other article you would then see that you need to calculate in your TDEE Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Then if you follow the calculations at the end of the article you will get what your true maintenance calories are after putting in your lean muscle mass (must calculate body fat % first) and your activity.
    For example, my BMR is 1530. But, when I calculate in my Lean Muscle mass, and TDEE I have a maintenance caloric intake per day at 2500-2800 calories. This depends on if I work out 3-5 days a week (moderate activity) or 6-7 days a week (high activity).
    So, I eat 2100-2500 calories a day (after exercise, 1750 on non-exercise days) and have been losing 1 pound a week. Even though I only have MFP set to lose .5 a week. And I do not starve myself and I do not workout 3 hours a day. I aim for 4-6 days a week. 30 mins cardio every session and 10-20 mins weights (about 3 times a week).
    The mistake I see so often with people here is they take what the MFP calculator tells them as gospel. And yet, when 2 months pass and they haven't lost any weight at 1200 cals a day, they then come here and ask "why?". MFP has some great "over-all" suggestions and calorie calculations. But, it is set up to broadly appeal to the most people. So, if you don't fit the "programming" for that calculation....well, then that may be the answer as to why things aren't working. If you are serious about being healthy for the long term....read the link I posted....then do some of your own research. You shouldn't take what I say as gospel either. I am all about promoting knowledge!! Look it up for yourself! I wish everyone the best....just trying to give you more options!
  • significance
    Options

This is why I gave the link to the site regarding BMR and finding your calories for the day. Yes, your BMR is 1269 (which 100 cals difference is huge in your case, you are talking 10%!!!).....but, if you read the other article you would then see that you need to calculate in your TDEE Total Daily Energy Expenditure.

Which, you will see in my comment above, I have done. My TDEE if I don't exercise is only 1450. Of course, I do exercise, so it is higher - and MFP calculates that for me each day given how much exercise I do.
    The mistake I see so often with people here is they take what the MFP calculator tells them as gospel. And yet, when 2 months pass and they haven't lost any weight at 1200 cals a day, they then come here and ask "why?".

I've been netting 1000-1200 calories since January, and have lost weight consistently over that period (41 pounds in total), while also increasing my fitness considerably. I had a two month period in the middle of the year during which I ate more, and during that time, my weight increased slightly.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    4 ounce Coho Salmon from walmart is 181 cals and veggies are like 50 cals
  • katcena
    Options
    I've been netting 1000-1200 calories since January, and have lost weight consistently over that period (41 pounds in total), while also increasing my fitness considerably. I had a two month period in the middle of the year during which I ate more, and during that time, my weight increased slightly.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/518807-negative-side-effects-of-eating-less-than-1-200-calories-a-day/

I am not a doctor, dietician,or nutritionist. All I know is what I have learned from those professionals. While a professional may put someone on a 1200 or under calorie regimen, it will only be for a short amount of time because of the dangers associated with it. I am glad that you have not had any negative side effects....but that is extremely uncommon for the average person. Perhaps your metabolism is just extremely slow?
    For the average person, read the above article...it spells it out pretty simply. It is just plain and simple not a good idea to eat under 1200 cals a day.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options

http://www.livestrong.com/article/518807-negative-side-effects-of-eating-less-than-1-200-calories-a-day/

I am not a doctor, dietician,or nutritionist. All I know is what I have learned from those professionals. While a professional may put someone on a 1200 or under calorie regimen, it will only be for a short amount of time because of the dangers associated with it. I am glad that you have not had any negative side effects....but that is extremely uncommon for the average person. Perhaps your metabolism is just extremely slow?
    For the average person, read the above article...it spells it out pretty simply. It is just plain and simple not a good idea to eat under 1200 cals a day.

^^^^^^

I understand what you are getting at. BUT - When I calculated my lean muscle and daily activity into my bmr, it was like 1600. I exercise about 500 calories a day, or sometimes more, sometimes not at all. According to my research as long as I create less than an 800 calorie deficit usually, and less than 1000 occasionally I am fine. So I eat 1200. I exercise, burn five hundred. Eat back 300 of those calories, and watch my *kitten* dissapear. I am 5'2. You have to realize every bmr calculator will give you a different number. An online calculator does not know you, it is a logarythm (sp?) It is an educated guess. I know my bmr is probably slow. I'm pretty lazy when I'm not working out. :S

When it comes to healthy food, for me 2000 calories of it is a lot, of a lot of food! I am only little

I get so tired of people telling other people to eat more to lose weight.

The individual, their health care provider and their experiences are on this journey. Your experiences may just not apply.

MFP calculated my bmr ( the real base, before any movement, just me chilling in a coma bmr) 1200. So that is what I eat. And I am set to lose 0.7 lbs a week. Sounds healthy enough to me. Should I eat 1500 and lose a pound every month? I doubt it!

Don't worry about what other people are eating. If they are eating 600 calories a day, then worry.
  • significance
    Options

My metabolism is pretty much exactly what MFP says it ought to be for someone of my height, weight, sex and age. Lower than average? Yep! I'm smaller than average. Extremely low? No, normal for someone my size.

(By the way, I'm not eating under 1200 cal/day. My NET consumption is under 1200 calories per day. Most days, I eat 1800-2000 and exercise away about 800).