Dad lost 40 lbs giving up diet drinks

Options

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I love me some diet soda.

But my curiosity button got punched and I am now surfing pubmed learning all sorts of crazy things about Asparatame.

I have no agenda. I'm just learning.

Here's something on Asparatame and the regulation of hormones released from the gut:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21255472
  • LabRat529
    Options
    Here's another about sucralose:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21245879
  • LabRat529
    Options
    Here's one that would actually support the OPs premise (I think... just read the abstract. Hard to critically analyze the data with just an abstract...).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21138816

But the study is in mice... so... take it with a grain of salt.

And I'm still drinking my diet soda.

And now I should probably go to bed.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Correction weight can be changed based on not drinking diet soda....just because something is 0 calories doesnt mean they cant have things that make you gain weight SODIUM!!!! Being a high ingredient in Diet Soda! So I totally believe it!! Probably started drinking more water, getting rid of water weight and sodium thats been held in the body for years if he was an avid diet soda drinker. Just because its diet soda doesnt mean you wont gain weight. If something is fat free it doesnt mean you cant get fat lol.

Absolutely. . . Right. . .they have proven that so many diet or fat-free products are not good for you, due to the additional chemicals and the way that they process it. . Just start comparing the difference in sodium, chemicals, & sugar in the diet/fat free vs just eating the regular and having less or eliminating it all together.. . . . It pays to educate yourself in nutrition really. .

Milk for instance. . . Skim & 1% actually have more calcium and are far better for you than 2% and whole milk, but people had the tendency to believe it was the other way around. . . .It really pays to read labels. .. . Which is why my daughter drinks organic 1% if she has milk, or better yet soy.

So not to take things completely off topic, but I agree with the above quote. .. Just increasing water and dropping the diet drinks would cause you to lose weight. .

As others said here that still drink soda. . . .if you are consuming enough water along with the soda you are still going to lose weight, but there are those people that replace their water consumption with all soda and then it does cause them to tack on weight in most cases.
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Correction weight can be changed based on not drinking diet soda....just because something is 0 calories doesnt mean they cant have things that make you gain weight SODIUM!!!! Being a high ingredient in Diet Soda! So I totally believe it!! Probably started drinking more water, getting rid of water weight and sodium thats been held in the body for years if he was an avid diet soda drinker. Just because its diet soda doesnt mean you wont gain weight. If something is fat free it doesnt mean you cant get fat lol.
    40lbs of water weight? Yeah, kinda of a reach here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Actually, 40lbs of water weight isn't a stretch at all if you're on the seriously heavy side. I started at 315 or so and dropped 15lbs in less than 2 weeks when i started dieting, most of it water weight (cut my sodium from 6-8gms a day to less than 4).

As an RN, I've seen people with bad kidneys gain 10lbs in a week with no diet changes - all water retention. So yeah, 40lbs of water weight? could see that easily. Was it from the 'sodium' in his diet tea? not a chance. Something else in the equation changed, even if it was subtle. Maybe the tea wasn't diet tea, maybe it reduced his cravings for other food. Dunno.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My guess is the drinking water might be the key here. I'm guessing he didn't drink alot of water along with his ice tea?

That would be impossible. Tea is water.
  • roland72
    roland72 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

I think the "science" is pointing in the direction of what effect the artificial sweetners, especially aspartame, has on blood glucose levels. My own dr mentioned this too but I completely blew it off because like I said, I thought it was rediculous...........until my dad came for Thanksgiving and told me that was the only thing he'd done differently.
    Those who scoffed or wouldn't take the minute to google it, oh well, sorry I brought it up.

"Researchers found that the diet soda drinkers had waist circumference increases of 70 percent greater than those who non-diet soda drinkers. And people who drank diet soda the most frequently -- at least two diet sodas a day -- had waist circumference increases that were 500 percent greater than people who didn't drink any diet soda, the study said.

Artificial sugar didn't produce any better results in the second study in mice. Researchers for this study found that diabetes-prone mice that were fed a diet that included aspartame for three months, had higher blood glucose levels than mice not given aspartame."

Well I'm happy that your dad has lost weight and obviously feels better because of it.
  • Lucia_Armstrong1973
    Options
    To add to your point, I read that one of the winners of the Biggest Loser went home and put back on 30 pounds of water within the first month. I know if I forget to take my water pills (for hypertension), in one week I could put on 10 pounds easy.
  • 1546mel
    1546mel Posts: 191
    Options
    no matter what anyone says, i believe it also that giving up diet drinks may cause weight loss. Diet pepsi/coke is under observation due to the caramel coloring may actually lower your metabolism. the bottom line, eat/drink nothing artifical for maximum benefits in achieving weight loss goals :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Actually, 40lbs of water weight isn't a stretch at all if you're on the seriously heavy side. I started at 315 or so and dropped 15lbs in less than 2 weeks when i started dieting, most of it water weight (cut my sodium from 6-8gms a day to less than 4).

As an RN, I've seen people with bad kidneys gain 10lbs in a week with no diet changes - all water retention. So yeah, 40lbs of water weight? could see that easily. Was it from the 'sodium' in his diet tea? not a chance. Something else in the equation changed, even if it was subtle. Maybe the tea wasn't diet tea, maybe it reduced his cravings for other food. Dunno.
    While I could see losing 15lbs of water weight in 2 weeks time, I don't see someone losing 40lbs. like the OP claims with NO CHANGE in diet.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    no matter what anyone says, i believe it also that giving up diet drinks may cause weight loss. Diet pepsi/coke is under observation due to the caramel coloring may actually lower your metabolism. the bottom line, eat/drink nothing artifical for maximum benefits in achieving weight loss goals :)
    Post a link on the caramel coloring. I'd be interested in reading that.

IDEA Fitness member
  • rayannie79
    Options
    That is exactly how my doctor explained it to me. I am still drinking the diet soda but I am trying to stay more aware of cravings and add more water in.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    If you google "diet drinks and weight gain" you will see tons of articles on it and the reasons why it prevents weight loss or in some, actual weight gain.

THIS.

I always chuckle and shake my head at people who think diet drinks are a lot more healthier than regular soda drinks. They're not really. People buy into the advertising these soda companies have put out to make you think it is.

I have never said I thought a diet drink was healthier. I don't drink it because I think it's healthy. I drink it because I hate the taste of water, coffee, tea and most other 0 calorie drinks. I do NOT crave sweets. I almost never eat candy, cookies, ice cream etc. I don't eat more food because "I freed up all these calories by not drinking regular soda." I've lost 57 pounds in 15 weeks drinking all the diet soda I want. All about the calories.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Beginning any statement with "no matter what anyone says" is tantamount to saying "I've got my head up my *kitten* and I'm going to keep it there"

Critical thinking involves evaluating the evidence and drawing conclusions from it. If you aren't willing to do this, then you have nothing to bring to the table.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Google "Correlation does not equal causation"
  • RoadkingDavid
    RoadkingDavid Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to your Dad! He found something that works for him. For those poked with the proverbial stick by the thought of such hoo-ha, and I count myself as one of you, we must give credence to the one thing we may have overlooked. Even though the equation suggests a reality that a calorie deficit must occur for weight to change beyond a slight water retention factor, it is wise to acknowledge that the mind can cause behavioral changes as well as physiological changes not measured by the simple caloric intake equation. It would be interesting to read published research that addresses and attempts to control for the issues of caloric differences and sodium differences and even activity levels in the appetite center of the brain in coke vs diet coke vs water only populations. Until then, congrats to your Dad, and pass me a Captain and a diet coke please... I have 40 more lbs to lose.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Let's see, I drank a Coke Zero (12 oz), a Monster Low Carb Energy Drink (16 oz), and 30 oz of water yesterday. Plus I had some homemade lentil soup (plenty of water in soup.) I dropped 5 pounds in water weight since yesterday, that I had been retaining from the past couple days of eating high sodium. So I had an equal amount of non-water drinks as plain water, and even drank artificially sweetened drinks, and LOST WATER WEIGHT. Heck, I didn't even drink all "8 glasses" (another fun myth.)

You don't need to just drink water, you don't need to drink ridiculous amounts of it, and diet drinks will not have any effect on weight loss, on their own.

Any study that has shown people gaining weight while drinking diet drinks failed to control for diet. You can't draw any conclusions on anything, if you aren't controlling what the people involved in the study are eating.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Back in my 20"s I was on BCP's and not able to tolerate them. They made me very sick. So in an effort to figure out what was causing the problem, I eliminated all sugar substitutes, sugar, and chemicals, etc. It didn't work so that was how I figured out it was the BCP's. After that I lost 25 pounds, probably from stopping the BCP's and also probably from the low chemical diet. Ever since then, I have not been a sweets person.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    For those poked with the proverbial stick by the thought of such hoo-ha, and I count myself as one of you, we must give credence to the one thing we may have overlooked. Even though the equation suggests a reality that a calorie deficit must occur for weight to change beyond a slight water retention factor, it is wise to acknowledge that the mind can cause behavioral changes as well as physiological changes not measured by the simple caloric intake equation.

No, I agree with you and that's what we're saying. SOMETHING must have changed in his diet along with the elimination of the tea. Whether he intended to change anything or was aware that he changed anything, some change must have occurred. And it sure didn't happen, as someone suggested, because he started drinking water. If water was that magical, and oh how I wish it were, the obesity epidemic would be cured!
  • LabRat529
    Options
    K.... after spending way too long on PubMed last night reading when I should have been sleeping, I've personally reached the conclusion that there's just not enough evidence to suggest that diet-drinks with their artificial sweeteners cause weight gain, a spike in insulin, a change in appetite, or any appreciable negative effects on our body (except see below). For every study that I found making that said they might increase weight gain or at least slow it down, there was a study that said they had no effect or even that they helped with weight loss. For ever study that said they increased appetite, there was a study that said they suppressed appetite or that they at least had no effect. And so on....

So, what's my point? My point is you cannot claim that science is on your side when you bash the diet drinks. The science is unclear on this particular issue- there are studies that support any bias, but when you lump them all together, the water gets murky.

If you don't want to put artificial sweeteners into your body... then don't :D There's nothing wrong with that approach.

I like them. I find them helpful in my diet. When I want something sweet, a stick of gum or a diet mountain dew = awesome and usually satisfies my craving. If I want chocolate though, I'm doomed.

I did find two very interesting articles that suggested that aspartame: 1) interfered with the anti-oxidant Glucothione in the liver. Usually, you don't want to block anti-oxidation. So I'd consider that an unwelcome effect. 2) increased inflammation in the brain in certain illnesses like epilepsy. Neither article was conclusive. And I didn't see any data from other labs backing up their findings. But they intrigued me, no the less.

Edited to add this: http://www.ajcn.org/content/89/1/1.long

That's a very good review article. I think they take a pretty unbiased approach. I dug through a lot of the primary literature on my own before I stumbled onto that. I'm assuming few of you will even want to do what I did... 99% of you aren't even going to want to read the review article :P But I thought I'd share it anyway.